Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rcrgrl
Anybody else feel like all they ever do is ask for help fixing their car? Anyway, please help - I have no backup car this week, ice skating lessons for a 4 year old, science fair for a 4th grader and a car that is acting up!! Here's the scenario-
Yesterday afternoon, car cold, cranks over fine, no start. Try again, starts fine, idles a little low.
Drive 30 minutes, stop for 5, try to start, cranks fine, won't start. try again, does start
Drive 5 minutes, stop, - cranks, no start, tryagain, no start, 3rd try does sttart
this morning, first start of the day, starts ok, idle low, i check under the hood, there is a little dampness (gas) near fuel injector #1, nothing else. started ok though, so i go about my day, checking every stop for leaking fuel, see none.
this afternoon, repeat of yesterday. this time though, on my last stop, it took 4 trys and prayers from my kids to get it running. wouldn't bumps start either.
also, this afternoon i notice that at about 2400-3200 the engine is stumbling a little, never done this before.
i'm thinking its not gettting fuel. - or maybe too much fuel maybe the injector is going? i did just replace the pcv valve? i heard the fuel pump prime so i don't think that's it.
like i said, i have very little time today and am hoping to start looking in the right place - my thoughts are
pull & check plugs
check for spark
but as for checking the injectors, never done it?
maybe timing?

your thoughts?
JoeSharp
Wild guess, does it still have points?
:PRMAGRIN: Joe
Jeffs9146
CHT sensor! (Cylinder Head Temp Sensor)

Jeff
rcrgrl
good thought joe, but yeah its still got points... next?

jeff, does a 1.7 have a CHT? and why would it make a difference?
Jeffs9146
The computer gets a reading from the temp sender and adjusts the fuel/air mixture to compensate for a warm or cold motor.

My 2.0 would die at the stop sign once it warmed up. Sometimes I would have to push it to the side and wait untill it cooled down before it would start.

It took me 2 weeks of diagnossis to figure it out!

I thought all FI 914's had one?? Maybe someone else would know for sure.

Jeff
JoeSharp
Race: It has a CHT, and there is a test for that. The CHT is a resistor that changes it's value with the temp of the head.
Check the Points to see if they open and close (pop of the dist cap with the car in 3rd gear and move it till the lobe on the dist shaft points at the contact piece of the points). You should have about .017" about the thickness of a match book cover.
I don't run points because they are a problem.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Aaron Cox
GET A PERTRONIX or a compufire and kiss points problems away!

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ May 24 2006, 04:34 PM) *

Race: It has a CHT, and there is a test for that. The CHT is a resistor that changes it's value with the temp of the head.
Check the Points to see if they open and close (pop of the dist cap with the car in 3rd gear and move it till the lobe on the dist shaft points at the contact piece of the points). You should have about .017" about the thickness of a match book cover.
I don't run points because they are a problem.

agree.gif
rcrgrl
yep heard the evil points argument before. not a fix i can make tonight, don't think its the issue though as the points seem fine & adjusted,,, of course i have no dwell meter (i know i know its on my list)
rcrgrl
plugs seem a little pale for my taste. although there is carbon on the ring....?Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(rcrgrl @ May 24 2006, 04:00 PM) *

there is a little dampness (gas) near fuel injector #1

please do yourself and me a favor and fix that ...

a burning 914 is not something you want to see for yourself ...
sad.gif Andy
JoeSharp
Race: Thats a little too lean. V8 Sean lives down near you, maybe he will chime in.
Some good info here
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/
Paul Brad Anders is Thee D-Jet Guru. Sorry I don't do links.
rcrgrl
yeah too lean was my thought. been on paul's sight. hafta admit - this is hurting my head, its a far cry from my rochester ... wonder if that'd fit under the hood smile.gif

about that leaky injectoor - i lied its #2 - and its barely there, but seems to backup from the little rubber hose that goes from the fuel rail (is that right) to the injector itself. is there some kind of sealant i can put there? and why would it do that? really don't want to blow up my car.
Thack
It could be something as simple as low fuel pressure or a dirty fuel filter.
It sounds like with the multiple starting that your system is trying to build pressure.
Dr Evil
You can just replace the hose from the injector rail to the injector. Its like $.10/inch at the local stores. I think 5/16" works, but check first. Also, get the smooth hose clamps without the holes for the gear (these are for fuel and the others are less safe).

As for intermittent stuff:
-the CHT can have an intermittant open causing a rich running condition (IIRC)
- Fuel pressure intermittent could be the filter as stated above and could cause the problem.
- Points in my experience are not that big of a deal to do, but take some learning. Just check 'em and go from there. They are not all that hard to adjust in a /4.

(Just consolidating info)
KELTY360
QUOTE(Thack @ May 24 2006, 08:37 PM) *

It sounds like with the multiple starting that your system is trying to build pressure.

agree.gif

I had a somewhat similar problem where it frequently took two tries to get it to fire. Turned out the fuel pump was going bad. It finally failed completely. Good luck.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Thack @ May 24 2006, 09:37 PM) *

agree.gif when was the last time you checked your fuel filter?

idea.gif Andy
rcrgrl
i've got an extra fuel filter in my garage, been meaning to change it, smile.gif but no time tonight to swap it.. i'll let you know. thanks all!
JoeSharp
Good Luck Race: I have a Love Haet relationship with D-Jet. I have a souped up 2056 that is cammed and ported and makes great power. Linda's D-Jet was worked on for 18 months by 3 shops and myself, before she finaly desided to put carbs on it.
There some good pictures of the sensor lay-out in my blog.
JoeSharp
Whats going on Race. Did you learn anything or do we need to enlist the guru's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.