Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT for our multi window VW bus lover's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
During my travels through Lansing, MI today I saw this multi window VW bus sitting in a repair shop. It was probably their tow/push vehicle. Had to take a picture & thought it was interesting. Cousin to our 914 in need of repairs.

Tom
Mark Henry
late 50's deluxe....worth a bit for parts but I'd say too far gone for a resto.

Now if it was a 21 or 23 window sunroof or a barndoor.....We need a "blowing your wad" smilie
Aaron Cox
how scary. and even more scary.... it is probably worth it to restore..... they sell for cubic bucks..

AA
So.Cal.914
It would be alot of work, but well worth it.
smoke.gif
jd74914
I'd say it'd be worth it to restore, tho I personally would go for the F100 next to it. laugh.gif
sixnotfour
I personally would go for the F100 next to it.

54 Chevy
bus guys fix more rust than 914 guys.
MecGen
Hi

To a real Bus lover anything is worth fixing
Werd

But Mark hit it on the nose, it just not the most desireable (resale) model to do it to. Its a split front window, which is good. and lots of repro panel and parts, cheap....but...
If you are thinking of fixin and usin and sellin, the cost of the project will kill you. Kinda like a 914 chairfall.gif

I know it hard to resist, its in our nature, cool project too, I'de go hippy with it smoke.gif

+Karma
Later

beerchug.gif
URY914
Go here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/ and look in the classifeds at the price$ those things are bringing. The are ALL worth restoring.
914rrr
I sold a 1967 21 window bus in slightly rougher shape a couple of years ago for $3500. Guy I sold it to started a website to document the restoration. Last time I saw the website, he had the floors, most of the lower frame supports and SOME of the other metal replacement done, and his expenditures (metal work and parts only) were already over $10K!!!! welder.gif Not worth saving unless you have extremely deep pockets and /or you are a master welder with a couple of years to kill...
jd74914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 24 2006, 08:59 PM) *

I personally would go for the F100 next to it.

54 Chevy

damn. i missed the emblem on the fender in the 2nd pic smile.gif
Mark Henry
Just look at my blog...I know how much they cost to restore. dry.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(914rrr @ May 24 2006, 08:11 PM) *

I sold a 1967 21 window bus in slightly rougher shape a couple of years ago for $3500. Guy I sold it to started a website to document the restoration. Last time I saw the website, he had the floors, most of the lower frame supports and SOME of the other metal replacement done, and his expenditures (metal work and parts only) were already over $10K!!!! welder.gif Not worth saving unless you have extremely deep pockets and /or you are a master welder with a couple of years to kill...

We would do the same for a 914 and not much of a return when we sell them eather. One mans trash is another mans treasure.
smoke.gif
1bad914
Well worth it Tom! If you don't buy it I will run up to Lansing and steal it out from under you! biggrin.gif Is it actaually for sale? The repair parts are not to expensive, if you can DIY it you can make good money on it, if you pay for the work you will be lucky to break even.

If you don't want it and it is for sale PM me and I'll go take a look. The saddest thing is that is a typical Michigan VW! sad.gif

Time to get out the sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif !!!
URY914
Here is one for sale for $29,999!!!! I'd buy it if I won the Lottery.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=118795
RON S.
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 24 2006, 05:14 PM) *

Go here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/ and look in the classifeds at the price$ those things are bringing. The are ALL worth restoring.

agree.gif

There's a cult following on those buses,especially the ones with even more windows on the roof section.

Seeing them in Hemming for 30-50k is getting more common these days.

Definately worth restoring.

Ron
Eric_Shea
Jake, start building the engine. I've got an extra 911 tranny lay'n around here somewhere.

I'll have Dad run over and pick'r up...
TJB/914
Hey Guys,

Remember that VW bus I found in Lansing, MI???
Today I went by the place & the owner was working inside his storage bldg. He was working on lots of old stuff, AC English sdn, 66 Citroen, 52 MB 220-S & lots of other stuff. A real treasure of stuff.
Anyway, the VW bus is a 1960 or 61 Deluxe model w/40hop motor. The owner said it's a parts bus & wanted to sell for somelike $200 dollars. Sounds like a good deal to me if you like VW bus's. Anyone interested contact me by email. The guys is an old dude & I need to be careful who I give out his telephone #. Only call him if your really interested.

Tom
BTW: A few more pictures, looks like lots of good parts for $200 bucks.
TJB/914
a few more pics. Check out the door panel designs!!!

tom
Mark Henry
Ah crap!

I wonder if he has a title....I can't get it over the border without one...it's worth $200 easy!
ThinAir
At $200 it's a steal!
montoya 73 2.0
Damn! You can get twice as much just for the Aluminum trim alone and another couple of hundred for the "Big Spoon" window latches! It's a 15 window deluxe, Those are more rare than a 21 or 23 window. No kidding! I have a friend in San Bernadino that resto's them to like new, then sells them to the japanese for big money. I've seen them go for anywhere from 30 to 120 thousand as there put on the ship to Japan. I would buy that right now if I were closer. boldblue.gif Damn, when is it my turn to find a killer deal?
montoya 73 2.0
Oh damn again! I didn't see the rear and corner window "Jail Bars" are still there! Ring up another couple hundred. If it had the aluminum trim on the engine bay louvers, You can get about $500 easy for them. The dash is good too, Not cut and no rust holes in the windshield channels. You could probably make an easy $1500 to $2000 on parts and sheetmetal alone, If you know the right people.
sixnotfour
NEHI Beverage crate is pretty old too
1bad914
PM and email sent! I want this bus! Been looking for an early 60's for awhile. This looks more solid than most I have seen.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(1bad914 @ Jun 16 2006, 07:20 AM) *

PM and email sent! I want this bus! Been looking for an early 60's for awhile. This looks more solid than most I have seen.

Randy it would be a lot of work and coin to do right but also worth it.

Let me know how you make out.
fitsbain
I'd put it back to gether but you all know I'm crazy. Just look at the teener I'm fixin.
1bad914
This is a before and after of one of my restorations. The work does not bother me, finding all the parts will be fun!
fitsbain
Very nice work.

Cept it's a chalone!!! biggrin.gif
1bad914
Actually it is an all metal slope nose conversion. biggrin.gif I cut off the top of the fenders and welded in new metal for the tops. Very little body filler, just enough to smooth the grind marks.

I guess a slopnose is better than a hooknose... biggrin.gif !
LowGT
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 16 2006, 12:06 AM) *

I was just about to say the NEHI crate is probably worth $50-100 by itself! smash.gif
RON S.
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 15 2006, 01:43 PM) *

a few more pics. Check out the door panel designs!!!

tom

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 15 2006, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(LowGT @ Jun 16 2006, 06:47 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 16 2006, 12:06 AM) *

I was just about to say the NEHI crate is probably worth $50-100 by itself! smash.gif

Ain't no lie about the Nehi crate.

Lotsa people are into soda pop collectibles.That thing is almost certainly as old as the bus itself.$$$$$$$.

Ron
VWnDRAG
If you need encouragement, check out OldBug.com. Sales page
A completely restored, sealing wax red, 1958 21 window deluxe bus listed for $57,500.
And a 1963 camper for $14,500.
Mark Henry
Just look at my blog and you will know what kind of nut I am blink.gif biggrin.gif drunk.gif smoke.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?auto...log&blogid=310&
TJB/914
Randy (1bad914)

Just got your message & can't open it up. Contact me on my email. Your first in the lineup.

tjbliznik@ameritech.net

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.