Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you tell if the original engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
p914
icon14.gif
Mike D.
All the bolts are rusted on. happy11.gif

With the 4 cyl. cars I don't think there is a way to know 100%. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

-Mike D.
cgnj
If it's not running?

Carlos
p914
Engine runs fine. Just wondered if there is a way to see if it is the original.
redshift
BOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYYY!

(sung to the tune 'Soul Train')

M
Paging Prof. 914! Paging Prof. 914!
Uncle Richy
I may be off, but I think a Cardex from Porsche would tell you.

Anyone else know?
Aaron Cox
well- 2.0's were from 73-76, so not priginal if in a 70-72
1.7-s wrer from 70-73
76's had 2.0's only
1.8's were form 74-75 idea.gif

did i miss something??
mharrison
I would think that there has got to be a way to tell this from the numbers. Somebody out there knows this too! (Not me of course, but SOMEBODY)

wait a minute.....I bet the information has been covered up by the government. Yeah, Yeah that's the ticket....The NSA's Carnivore system probably knows.....I have to hide my PC now as I can see the black helicopter overhead....I know, I'll hide it on the set of the faked moon landing...or the secret lab where the government scientists developed aids....maybe I could put it on a ship with the aliens that they are communicating with...

BTW...I'm not really a paranoid lunatic, I just play one on the internet....
JeffBowlsby
Miles I should know the Soul Train song but it escapes me at the moment... cool.gif

I think a Cardex from Porsche would tell you

Well almost right.

The Cardex will likely tell you the original serial number of the engine...and if you are lucky the transaxle too.

You can get them from PCNA...~$100 and change.

Its the only way I know of.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Sep 26 2003, 08:26 PM)
The Cardex will likely tell you the original serial number of the engine...and if you are lucky the transaxle too.

and this of course tells you only if the CASE is the original one.
no way to know really if any of the parts inside are the original ones.
a teardown will tell you if any parts have been updated; backdating, fortunately, is rare...

otherwise, you have to go on 'documentation' which is always iffy - you can document that something -was- changed and people will believe you. absence of documentation means nothing, tho.

even tho my very lo-miles /6 engine is the original - it lost a cam tower oil line during a prior owner's time and got 'uprated' with 'E' cams. original ? hard to misrepresent that one with the gear sticking out the end of the cam tower :-)
p914
Thanks for the replies. I had hoped there was a way that was free smile.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(p914 @ Sep 27 2003, 04:08 PM)
Thanks for the replies. I had hoped there was a way that was free smile.gif

for free you can prove only that it is -not- original.
to -prove- that it *is* may require forensics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.