Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: $hit....what is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
WTF.gif Yesterday, I filled up with gas on the way to work...
went to lunch and when I came out there was a large puddle of gas under the car..

I thought ok, perhaps I overfilled the tank...I know I blew some out the overflow..

So I parked in another area until time to leave. get in the car and only have 1/2 a tank????

OOPS....something is wrong...

get home and pull the tank.

I have a hole, on the shelf. the rest of the tank is in great shape.

Hmmm....should I weld it up? jsharp.gif

I also have another tank that I por15'd and will use. not in as nice shape though. I am thinking about washing out the bad tank and purging with argon or inert gas. Is this crazy?

anyone sell a new tank? Fuel cell? hmmm which way to go?/
URY914
Same thing happened to me about 20 years ago. Pin hole rust in horizonal section. I pulled the tank and Bondo'd over it. laugh.gif Never leaked again.

I'd just switch out the tank with your good one.
mikelsr
QUOTE(crash914 @ May 25 2006, 06:48 AM) *

Hmmm....should I weld it up? jsharp.gif

My welding instructor said it is not a good idea to weld a gas tank. Yes lots of people do but just when you think you have all the gas fumes out .... blowup.gif

M
brant
I probably wouldn't try to fix it.
too many useable ones out there...
not that hard to get another...

however, if you do try to fix it.
fill it with water before you weld.

brant
Allan
When ya coming out to Bakersfield again Herb?

I have one you can take back with you... smile.gif
smontanaro
QUOTE(crash914 @ May 25 2006, 06:48 AM) *

Hmmm....should I weld it up?

Look around for sloshing compound.

Skip
jonwatts
Don't some radiator shops boil, repair, and seal gas tanks? It's probably not worth it since a used tank should be easy to find (easier to find than a radiator repair shop these days).
Dr Evil
Just wash it out real good and put dry ice in it before you weld. CO2 will displace any residual vapors.
crash914
Yea, I don't think that I will weld it for awile or ever...

Allen, I might be able to swing a trip out sometime over the summer, when are you leaving?
Allan
QUOTE(crash914 @ May 25 2006, 03:59 PM) *

Allen, I might be able to swing a trip out sometime over the summer, when are you leaving?

The way the housing market is right now I'll probably still be here... sad.gif

BTW, I had a tank welded a loooong time ago and they filled it with water first.
Mike McGrath
Just slap some JB weld on the hole, if it is small. That shit will hold for a long while, at least until you're ready to pull the tank and replace it.
JPB
Ya welding an old tank is a chance not worth taking. I say get a cool fuel cell since you can get them in any configuration. Go retro bro!

beer.gif Ot with the old, in with the new.
gregrobbins
One of our church members tried welding a gas tank a few years ago.

BANG

3rd degree burns, never recovered.

Not worth the risk, too many spare tanks available. Patrick Motorsports fuel cell is a nice (and expensive) way to go. But you can not invest too much in safety.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.