Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3 days of hell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Since frying my Megasquirt on Sunday and a planned trip to California on Thurday I needed to get some soldring done. I was lucky enough to have a MegaSquirt II kit I was planning to build at some point. Monday became that point. So late night were in order but I got it finished. Gerry and I leave this morning at 10 with a new ECU and a bunch of tuning to do. I feel like I finished finals.

Dave
rhodyguy
have a fun, safe drive dave. see you when you get home.

k
DNHunt
Thanks Kev

Time to go put air in the tires, check the oil etc. It looks like showers through to at least Eugene. YUK

Dave
DNHunt
Heading out the door. Wish me luck

Dave
Gint
QUOTE(DNHunt @ May 25 2006, 07:19 AM) *

Since frying my Megasquirt on Sunday and a planned trip to California on Thurday I needed to get some soldring done. I was lucky enough to have a MegaSquirt II kit I was planning to build at some point. Monday became that point. So late night were in order but I got it finished. Gerry and I leave this morning at 10 with a new ECU and a bunch of tuning to do. I feel like I finished finals.

Dave

Build a new ECU in a night and go eh? Good luck! driving.gif
Eddie914
Dave,

Good luck.

What a great adventure! Father & son 914 trip to California!

I need to follow your example. Yesterday, my son finished his driver's training class and we finally got the new 3.2 running in the teener. He is itching to get behind the wheel.

Good luck Dave and Gerry!

Eddie
mightyohm
What fried on your MS1?
rhodyguy
owner/operator error.

k
mightyohm
I mean physically what fried, not what is the mechanism that caused the failure. cool.gif

rhodyguy
i spoke with dave last night. the ms is one big mystery to me. i think it was a ground terminal hooked up to a power source? he said it blew a big cap or resistor? there was a BIG melt on the board. his first tip was that the fuel pump ran continously when the key was in the first position. dave's the only guy i know who keeps a spare ms board in his parts stash!! smile.gif

k
lapuwali
He actually was lucky to have the MSII kit on hand, intending to build it. This just accelerated the process.

rhodyguy
there's other details dave can share if he wants. way more acceleration than he planned for. wink.gif he's prob just south of olympia right now. the first reststop is just down the road.

k
DNHunt
We made it to Yreka about 7 after 9 hrs of driving. Tuned on the road and averaged 27.9 mpg. The car ran great except for what I think are a few processor resets or a dropped spark event and high oil temps at times. We probably had 20 or so in 9 hrs. and it's not getting any worse so I'm not too worried. I suspect I can adjust it out with signal averaging. All in all a good day.

We'll be in the bay area tomorrow.

Dave
sixnotfour
Way to go Dave and Gerry. your crusing right along
DNHunt
I fried the flyback circuit and the EDIS module. I hooked up 12V to a ground.

Getting ready to hit the road again. Trying to get a 16 year old out of bed at 6.

Dave
SGB
QUOTE(DNHunt @ May 26 2006, 08:02 AM) *

I fried the flyback circuit and the EDIS module. I hooked up 12V to a ground.

Getting ready to hit the road again. Trying to get a 16 year old out of bed at 6.

Dave

tell him it is his day to drive.
rhodyguy
you made good time. 28mpg average. that's factoring in the southern oregon and north cal ups and downs. i bet cruising on the flats you're well over 30.

k
KELTY360
QUOTE(DNHunt @ May 25 2006, 08:47 PM) *

We made it to Yreka about 7 after 9 hrs of driving. Tuned on the road and averaged 27.9 mpg. The car ran great except for what I think are a few processor resets or a dropped spark event and high oil temps at times. We probably had 20 or so in 9 hrs. and it's not getting any worse so I'm not too worried. I suspect I can adjust it out with signal averaging. All in all a good day.

We'll be in the bay area tomorrow.

Dave

U da man Dave!! The future of the 914 is your set-up.....mild displacement bump with modern fuel injection. Fuel ecomomy and lots of fun. Try to catch some Highway 1 action on the way home - it's worth it.

clap56.gif clap56.gif driving.gif
DNHunt
We made it to Napa and McMark's. Driving CA 128 from Winters to Napa was great fun until we got behind a Honda Odessy with a soccer mom that thought she was Danika Patrick.

We spent the afternoon helping strip Andy's car. He had hand tight CV bolts AHHHHH! He also had a neat little clip thaheld the clutch cable to the pulley housing on the tranny. Nice people and a good time.

We just got to Palo Alto and are cleaning up for a snack before watching a little tube and hitting the sack.

Dave
dinomium
Rawk on Dave! Say hi to pup...
DNHunt
Been outa touch for a couple of days. We stayed at a Marriot in Sacramento and they charged for internet access. Being true to my 914 soul I refused to pay for that cheaper hotels/motels give away. We're in Grants Pass Or. and have a great FREE wireless connection.

Anyway, we had quite an adventure. Sacramento and Bugarama was pretty cool. Lots of cars, lots of old rusty parts, plenty of BS and VW drags. Some of those things are damn fast. We met Rob (Rotten Robby) and Martin (North Bay 914) for dinner Sunday night.

We met Jake and several people who have his motors. It was pretty fun seeing people walk by the bugs and Ghia and go "What the hell, that's a Type IV". Video of his trip over Loveland Pass in Colorado was a real hit.

My car has run pretty well. 26.5 mph over the trip including Bay area traffic. The MS II has workede fine. The tune could be better. We've had a great time and we've seen some neat stuff.

Dave
North Bay 914
It was good to see Dave and Jerry, had a great meal at Fudruckers, and some great 914 stories were passed on to future generations. Spotted this 914-6 as well, at Bug O Rama. Metallic Red, originall owner, I had met at the 2004 WCC. Dave's 914 is center stage in the photo of the resturant. Hope to see you again, its always great to share the stories of the 914 owners day to day life.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.