Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Six oil puke tank ideas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
grantsfo
OK so I tried going with less oil in the 2.4 and I'm still getting too much oil feeding back to the carbs in the oil recovery setup on my car during AX.

I'm wondering should I just completely disconnect oil recovery system from the the carbs and have a tank that recovers oil or add a tank to the existing setup?

Any pictures of what oil recovery systems work best for sixes that get tracked and AX'd?
brant
were using a seperate puke tank.
most racing bodies require it.
(ours actually requires one for the motor and a seperate for the tranny)

Here was the lightest solution we could come up with.
you can buy the brackets through bike sources and choose them down to the gram.... carbon, aluminum, titanium... anything.

ours are aluminum, and held on with aluminum rivets:
grantsfo
QUOTE(brant @ May 25 2006, 11:17 AM) *

were using a seperate puke tank.
most racing bodies require it.
(ours actually requires one for the motor and a seperate for the tranny)

Here was the lightest solution we could come up with.
you can buy the brackets through bike sources and choose them down to the gram.... carbon, aluminum, titanium... anything.

ours are aluminum, and held on with aluminum rivets:

Very cool! I have tons of old waterbottles and cages from my cycling days.
brant
try to go the larger ones too.
many sanctioning bodies dictate the volume.
I know we had to buy larger ones because we needed 20 ounce... (not the more common 16ounce)

brant
IronHillRestorations
The slickest deal I've set up I've seen uses a winshield washer bottle with a pump in the bottom, so you can easily pump out any pukage. Probably a JC Whitney item.
Trekkor
I use a radiator overflow tank.
Comes with a mounting bracket.

I picked up a molded rubber hose that goes from the oil tank, through the rear trunk bulkhead and into the tank.

You will find the perfect amount of oil to keep in the tank.
This amount is found when oil stops puking out.
About 1/3 below full line on the dipstick, I believe.

KT
drew365
Here's a pic of mine. Off the shelf of Safeway. I believe JP prefers pickel containers. I keep my tank at the upper line of my dip stick. I don't have a problem with excess puke.
drew365
Let's see if I can find the right pic.
J P Stein
Pickles can't be any worse than mixed nuts containers
Series9
I built one out of aluminum to fit in place of the old relay board.
jdogg
20 OZ. Diet Mountain Dew bottle...threads right in to the 1" line, secured with a hose clamp....looks extremely high tech!!!!!!!!!
J P Stein
I like the wide mouth jars so's I can put the breather fliter inside the can...
drilled holes in the lid to vent, cut & fit some foam rubber just below the lid to filter out more oil mist. I've had up to 8oz of oil in the sucker after an AX, but none in the trunk.

We'ze a bunch of hi tech mofos, eh?
sww914
Whenever it's time for a new puke tank, I just go to Costco and buy something to eat in a nice looking container. After I eat all of the stuff, I drill out the lid and fasten a hose bib to the lid. Man, I'm sick of sun dried tomatoes.
J P Stein
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jun 9 2006, 12:58 AM) *

Whenever it's time for a new puke tank, I just go to Costco and buy something to eat in a nice looking container. After I eat all of the stuff, I drill out the lid and fasten a hose bib to the lid. Man, I'm sick of sun dried tomatoes.

Yeah, it's about time for a new can for mine.....heat cycling is gettin' to the
cheep plastic.....sun dried tomatos, eh? chowtime.gif
sww914
Try the cashews. Sun dried tomatoes are too much of a good thing, If the red cashew tub lid will coordinate with your paint scheme.
I think the almonds have a blue lid, if that's more your flavor.

But seriously, What I really have is a metal 1 gallon paint thinner can, I cut the handle off and bored 3 holes and JB Wlded in 3 bibs in the bottom for my 3 breather hoses, and I hose clamped a curved piece of radiator hose onto the spout on one end and a small K&N filter on the other.
I'll post a pic tomorrow as soon as I find my digital camera, I lost it in the car on my way back from Buttonwillow.
J P Stein
I like the clear plastic so's I can look in & see if there are any engine bits in there laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.