Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OEM electronic distributors for the Type 4?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lapuwali
I'm gathering parts for my Megasquirt conversion, and I believe some later VWs (Bus or Vanagon?) used OEM electronic ignition in the distributor. This true? Which models?

Note that advance curve, vac advance, etc are all completely immaterial. I'll only be using the distributor to trigger the ECU and, uh, distribute the spark. Advance will be set by the ECU (advance mech. in the distributor will be locked). I could engineer this using one of the many 009s I have on the shelf, but using an OEM distributor would be a lot easier.

Cap'n? I'm sure you'd know...
lapuwali
icon_bump.gif
Dave_Darling
I think it was the Digifant-equipped Vanagons. May have been the Wasserboxer engine'd ones? IIRC, there was no advance or retard of any kind built into it. Only useful for a full EMS that still uses a distributor to point the sparks to the correct cylinders--and to provide a TDC signal.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(lapuwali @ May 25 2006, 01:42 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

CA market 79 busses and Vanagons 80-85 should work. You can lock down the vacuum advance plate and the mech advance. Later will fit and might work, but I dunno.
The Cap'n
lapuwali
No advance or retard actually makes this easier. Sounds like the old Motronic distributors, which were just a shaft, a bushing, a rotor, a cap, a trigger wheel, and a trigger sensor. Would be ideal, in fact.

Cap'n, if it will fit, it will work. I'm mostly concerned about fitting the stock hole in the case and having the same drive dogs.

This would be post-85 Vanagon, then?
Aaron Cox
just curious...

what is the access hole on the back of the case for? you know the one that gives you a clear view of the back o fthe flywheel? bout 1.25" diameter....

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 25 2006, 03:48 PM) *

just curious...

what is the access hole on the back of the case for? you know the one that gives you a clear view of the back o fthe flywheel? bout 1.25" diameter....

Access port for the torque converter bolts on a T2 or T4 automatic. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 25 2006, 04:02 PM) *

just curious...

thanks CK

so nothing to do with timing or ignition.... (like magnets on a flywheel etc...)
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 25 2006, 02:48 PM) *

Aaron,
I use that hole to lock the flywheel (insert pin into wheel rotate against hole) when I need to remove things on the fan end of things (fan, fan mount, front seal etc.) and the transmission is attached (denying access to flywheel teeth).
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 25 2006, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 25 2006, 04:02 PM) *

just curious...

thanks CK

so nothing to do with timing or ignition.... (like magnets on a flywheel etc...)

True. However, there's no reason you couldn't insert pins in the back of the flywheel and rig a sensor in the hole. Be a LOT more accurate than doing it on the fan end, and simpler, too. Of course, you could use the other hole for the pickup, the one on the other side with the sensor in it. The Cap'n
Katmanken
86-91 2.1L wasser Vanagon use a distributor that is just a body, a shaft, a hall effect sensor, 4 notch timing can and the cap and rotor.
Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.