Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bd1308 restoration thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
Britt and I are planning to fix all the rust on his car on June, 1 2006. That would be next thursday. I know people will be at work, but I will be working late, so if possible drop by later if you are in the area. You can PM britt for detail on the event. Here is the thread that got NOWHERE...so hopefully this will be a little different.
here is the current list of what I am bringing. If anyone has any thing else that I should bring that would be great.

The current list:
I will bring:
air compressor
a body saw
wire wheel
Repair panels
sheet metal(18g and 20g)
cutting tools
welder if necessary
other tools, if we can carry them
Por15 or other similar products, since you will be using it as a daily drive, and driving in the rain..
jack stands
floor jack
air compressor, and accesories
electric grinder
sawzall
wire wheel
drill
You need to provide:
Heavy plastic sheet, to protect the rest of the interior
Spot weld cutters.

Once again. Anyone that can lend a hand feel free to drop in if it is ok with britt. or just drop by to say Hey. Here are current pics of his car
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
dwillouby
Lets do it! I suggest we dont try for a concours repair. Just make it safe and long lasting. smile.gif

David
grasshopper
yeah, It wont be a concours repair. That would take a crap load of a long time. I want it to look good, but not absolutly perfect. can you provide any of the tool I said I was bringing?? My dad just informed me that we might have a weight problem. He doesn't have a huge truck, and we are already pulling a trailer, with a 914 on it, and then a whole trunk full of tool, repair panels, and an air compressor... I really want to bring my own welder, because I am used to all the settings...and I really want to get this right the first time.
dwillouby
I can bring

floor jack
4 jack stands (guess I better fix mine so I can use the stands!)
sawzall
grinder
air cut off tool
welder 110v flux core

Maybe more

David
bd1308
The stock jackpoint for the rear worked fine when I used it, which is good news...I think.

the doughnut.

OK.

I get paid on Thursday(June 1), so I should have some money then to buy things we need, like cokes (i'm not 21 yet, parents have beer) and box fans when needed.

I do work nights during all of this, so we will start daily at around noonish or 1pm and commence until whenever the day's events are over. I must make sure I get my beauty sleep cool_shades.gif because I need all I can get!

I am thinking about getting a pressure washer and getting all of the grime and ick off the pan of the car, which would cut down on the transfer of engine and gear oil.

If someone knows how to magically stop mystery transmission leaks, please come and show me.

Meeting place.....hmm....easy to get to and off of the interstate but close....Home Depot parking lot. Straight shot from the interstate from Exit 32 (Westport Rd.) off of Gene Snyder Expressway.

5027410183--Just in case you need to talk to me.

Thanks again! I owe you all BIGTIME.

B

grasshopper
hey britt, a power washer would be great! It will help a lot! there could be more rust that we dont see that is covered with road tar. I just though of one more thing you might need to get. Some undercoating stuff... I am thinking if we just put Por15 on the underside, that it will chip and scratch, and rust again! What are some hotels close to you?? We still dont have a place to stay...
bd1308
Well you COULD stay at our place....

Lemme mapquest something.

b
Bertus
I wish you guys luck! I am leaving for Alaska on Saturday, and will be working up to the minute I leave, so I won't be able to lend a hand.

Post pics of your progress!
bd1308
The top 10 choices by order of distance:

1. Courtyard By Mariott
10200 Champion Farms Dr, Louisville, KY (0.54 miles away)
502-425-9660
* Map
* Directions To
* Directions From
* Places Nearby
* Send to Cell
Category: Hotels & Motels
2. Courtyard Louisville Northeast
10200 Champion Farms Dr, Louisville, KY (0.54 miles away)
502-429-9293
* Map
* Directions To
* Directions From
* Places Nearby
* Send to Cell
3. Courtyard By Marriott
3500 Springhurst Commons Dr, Louisville, KY (0.62 miles away)
502-429-9293
* Map
* Directions To
* Directions From
* Places Nearby
* Send to Cell
4. Residence Inn-Louisville Northeast
3500 Springhurst Blvd, Louisville, KY (0.72 miles away)
502-412-1311
* Map
* Directions To
* Directions From
* Places Nearby
* Send to Cell
5. Best Western-Louisville
9100 Westport Rd, Louisville, KY (0.98 miles away)
502-423-0094
* Map
* Directions To
* Directions From
* Places Nearby
* Send to Cell
6. Hampton Inn
4100 Hampton Lake Way, Louisville, KY (1.27 miles away)
502-327-8880
* Map
* Directions To
* Directions From
* Places Nearby
* Send to Cell
7. Holiday Inn Express
3711 Chamberlain Ln, Louisville, KY (1.52 miles away)
502-814-0004
* Map
* Directions To
* Directions From
* Places Nearby
* Send to Cell
Category: Hotels & Motels, Banquet Rooms, Convention & Meeting Facilities & Svc
8. Embassy Suites Hotel
9940 Corporate Campus Dr, Louisville, KY (1.77 miles away)
502-426-9191
* Map
* Directions To
* Directions From
* Places Nearby
* Send to Cell
Category: Hotels & Motels, Banquet Rooms
9. Suburban Extended Stay Hotel
11405 Westport Rd, Louisville, KY (1.81 miles away)
502-412-1000
* Map
* Directions To
* Directions From
* Places Nearby
* Send to Cell
10. Springhill Suites By Marriott
10101 Forest Green Blvd, Louisville, KY (1.87 miles away)
502-326-3895
* Map
* Directions To
* Directions From
* Places Nearby
* Send to Cell

I will get some maps of where I live and where you'll be getting off of the interstate.

b
bd1308
Find I 65, then find Gene Snyder. If going to Nashville to get to 65, its exit 120ish off of 65. Anyway, once you get to Gene, look for exit 32. That's Westport Road. You'll go through a series of lights...when you pass a Home Depot you are near, my subdivision is right after that small strip of stores, the black fncing near the roadway is the boundary of the subidivision. Quick Right, kinda hidden...slow downa bit and make the right. You'll see my house from the road, look at the 11 O'clock position nce you pass the centre island just after turning. It is a house with white columns, that's my house. I'll get the garage cleared out so we can use it.

If you pass The White Castle, you've gone too far. BUt grab a White Castle sandwich, it's an experience you will remember for sure lol

b
grasshopper
I'll ask my dad if he want to stay at your place or get a hotel.
Bump!!!!only a few days! icon_bump.gif
bd1308
Just so we're all on the same page....I work from 10pm until 7am (overnight) and I like to sleep from 7am till 12 or 1pm, so the time frame for work is like 12-1pm till like 9pm or somthing like that. I have alternate transportation so the car can stand or lay without being disturbed until we are done. June 10th is the deadline, because I would like to go to a drive-in theatre to see Cars the movie with the VW club that I joined...

Barry I have your L-jet stuff and will give that to you when you get here.... sad.gif sorry man I didnt get to it sooner. But i'm glad you got your car running....

Day One agenda is removing the seats, engine/tranny and wiring....I honestly don't know whether my presence "welding" would slow down productive work or not. I have to run some lines for my amp (10ga) and fuel pump (12ga) through the car so I guess the best time to do this would be while the car is apart (sort of speak)

I have NO idea how this is goign to work, IE keepign the meaurements right while welding and etc etc but I put my trust to the experts!

Without this club, my car would be dead next year, if not a couple of years ago.

I actually have some REAL big projects that Needed to get done a long time ago, I jus dont have much $$ to complete them (engine tear-down and ship-out)

I get paid thursday, so anything we need will be puchased either thrusday (maybe i get paid thursday morning?) or friday night.

Thank you all once again for your generosity....

b
grasshopper
your presence shouldn't slow down welding...just dont look at it while I am welding!!! ask how i know...I didn't think it would really affect my vision, but it has gone from 20/20 when I first started, and now it is 20/50! keeping the measurments shouldn't be hard... the floor and firewall wouldn't really affect the demension i dont think. The only parts would be the rust in the long..(which doesn't appear to be too much) but I will just have to not weld long beads..weld,let it cool, weld, let it cool..etc..etc..
bd1308
My rocker panel is liek flaking off and I see some surface rust on the rocker (the panel screws are rusted and I cant get a screwdriver on those screws)

I'm going to purchase a angle grinder..we'll need it. I definately will anyway.

b
grasshopper
electric or air powered??
bd1308
:/ electric.

I'd have to get a large air compressor to do air right?

I mean a ten gallon one wouldnt be able to do a cut-off wheel, right?

b
grasshopper
QUOTE(bd1308 @ May 27 2006, 04:34 PM) *

:/ electric.

I'd have to get a large air compressor to do air right?

I mean a ten gallon one wouldnt be able to do a cut-off wheel, right?

b

yeah, I have the largest portable air compressor that I could get...forgot how big it is... but it runs out pretty quick using cutting tools and stuff. I think I have changed my mind about bringing the air compressor, first, because it is loud as hell and would probably make you neighbors mad...second, because we dont have room, and third, because i have all of the same tools in electric, except the metal nibbler...which really isn't necessary...
bd1308
we would be more than happy to cover some of the meals for you all during your stay in order to make up for expenses on your end...

I also plan, if its okay with you, to show you around Louisville area if you would like, just so you can say that you've seen Churchill Downs (home of the Derby) and the Louisville Slugger Museum and bat factory (home of the Slugger bat) and various other sites that would be important to see for a visitor.

Let me know what you think.

I also will help cover some of the hotel accomidations as well when I get the money...

b
grasshopper
wow, that would be GREAT! we will be bringing our 914 also, so maybe after yours is done and the engine back in and running we could tour around the countryside also. This is going to be a lot of fun. you are finished with school for the summer right??
bd1308
yep. all done. Just working and sleeping and working on my car....

never ends lol

b
grasshopper
yeah, I am going to be getting my first job this fall working at a VW repair/restoration shop. we pulled in with the 914 one day, and the owner recognized it, and mentioned that they had a yellow 914 sitting outside for years, and eventually they sold it to this other VW guy who has a junkyard. We drove by his place and found two 914's sitting in his front yard. Never would have though any would be down here. Unfortunatly he wants way to much. there is a black one that is badly wrecked in the back, and the damage was cut off, and the guy says he has the pieces to fix it, but the whole car is twisted...I mean REALLY twisted. The door gap on the passenger side is big enough the get two fingers wide in, and there is no door gap on the drivers side. it has a sideshift 2.0 engine, and unfortunatly was RUST FREE. it still even has the battery tray. and this is south georgia. The other car is a badly rusted blue car with a 1.7 engine in it. looks to have been hit in the front...he want 2000 for both, but I know that is too much, considering neither car could be fixed...
bd1308
now why do you have to go and get me to drool over a good rust-free 914 like that poke.gif

laugh.gif

b
dwillouby
Britt,
I am bringing a nice electric angle grinder. You dont need to buy one unless you really want one.
If your starting around noon on the 1st Ill leave work early,. change clothes and stop by.
Do you need a power washer?
David
bd1308
well the engine comes out on thursday....

so im therory i won need it until friday, but i want a pressure washer with a detergent port, so simple green can be used too...

b
pastordavid
Britt,

Sorry I can't be there this week to help. That's the bad news. The good news is that I am moving (new apppointment) to Salem, Indiana July 1, about 35 minutes from Louisvile. I will be bringing the teener down (trailered at this point) on June 25th, and we will be moving on the 28th. Maybe we will be able to hook up some, along with some of the other Louisville area folks.

Give me a PM on the other problems, I haven't been able to post.

pastor david
bd1308
Getting a bit off track I know, but CISCO is down due to a intrusion from my old version of BB software. Fromt here, the hacker decided to use my machine to send spam to other people. I took it down and put it back up, only to find that the backup file I had hoped would be complete was indeed not complete, and was missing some various "junk" that made the whole thing work.

Plus it was over 2MB large, which is too large for the sftware to upload.

b
bd1308
T Minus two days...whats the plan?

b
grasshopper
my dad and I are leaving wendnesday around noon, and will drive till about 8pm or so...then get up early on thursday, and should get there about noon. smile.gif
dwillouby
I should be able to be there about noon-1:00. I will bring the power washer, grinder.
Do you need any other tools?

David
bd1308
Cool. David, I dont think I need anything else...Thanks though.

Engine will be out thursday morning....

b
grasshopper
uhh... a bit of a change in plans...We decided to just go up to Atlanta and stay with my grandparents for the night, and get up around like 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning...nothing major, so we should be there around the same time..maybe closer to 2:00... soo.. see you guys there tomorrow.
bd1308
cya!

I hope everything goes well!

I wonder how many jackstand we'll need?

b
grasshopper
I brought two extras just in case...I am guessing you already have two???
bd1308
of course! Jackstands come with the purchase of every 914.

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.