Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 SC struts on '74 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
germaneighter
I am installing a set of SC struts on my '74. (Bilsteins) I have a few questions and/or comments that I need some answers/feedback on:

1.) I noticed the SC top strut mount has different bolt spacings than the stock 914. It will mount up to the 914 strut tower but I can not match my marks from where the original support plates were. Will it work as is? Will my allignment adjustment limits be reduced? Do I need to swap the strut mounts?

2.) The strut stud on the right side sticks up about 1". It is near flush to the nut on the left side. What causes this? Is it cause for concern? It looks close to hitting the hood!

3.) It appears I will need to use 911 brake hoses in order to use the SC hose clip. Should I use an SC brake hose? Will the end that mounts to the body match the 914 clip?

4.) I had a hard time getting one of the tapered studs that hold the strut to the ball joint torqued to spec. Should these be replaced every time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dave
Aaron Cox
brake lines. you need to use a 914 line, but make the hole larger and trim the stock retaining clips.

use your stock 914 upper strut mounts....

strut stud... the threaded portion is higher on one side? do you have dustshields??

yes. replace the ball joint wedge pin.
Eric_Shea
The strut stud on the right side sticks up about 1". It is near flush to the nut on the left side. What causes this? Is it cause for concern? It looks close to hitting the hood!

911SC's had a spacer at the top. Are you missing one?
SLITS
QUOTE(germaneighter @ May 25 2006, 09:01 PM) *

I am installing a set of SC struts on my '74. (Bilsteins) I have a few questions and/or comments that I need some answers/feedback on:

1.) I noticed the SC top strut mount has different bolt spacings than the stock 914. It will mount up to the 914 strut tower but I can not match my marks from where the original support plates were. Will it work as is? Will my allignment adjustment limits be reduced? Do I need to swap the strut mounts?You should have left the plates on. That way the alignment is not disturbed

2.) The strut stud on the right side sticks up about 1". It is near flush to the nut on the left side. What causes this? Is it cause for concern? It looks close to hitting the hood!As moroni-boy said, "there is a 1/2" spacer that sits on top of the upper strut cover".

3.) It appears I will need to use 911 brake hoses in order to use the SC hose clip. Should I use an SC brake hose? Will the end that mounts to the body match the 914 clip?I bought a set of SS...fronts are 911...rears are 914.....Sorry, Cap'n

4.) I had a hard time getting one of the tapered studs that hold the strut to the ball joint torqued to spec. Should these be replaced every time?If it wasn't coming to torque spec, I would inspect it for pulling the threads (threaded portion ready to break off

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dave

I just did this last weekend...completed a 5 lug coversion, but I used a complete SC front end...Yeh, I like the idea of the underbody swaybar.
germaneighter
Do I need any special tools to remove and swap the strut top mounts?

Looks like there is a spacer on one side and not on the other.

thanks,
dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.