Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Garage Door for the P-Car Garage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Everyone wants like 1200+ for a 16x9 steel door and 400+ for an opener......

Geez, anyone know anyone that just sells the door? I can do the install.....
r_towle
You could build a nice one with plywood and some 3/4 inch lumber.

I could explain in detail if you like, but you could make a nice looking "raised panel" door for very little money.

the opener you could get used.

If you do make the door, make sure to use light weight material, the hardware for doors is not rated for alot of weight.

Rich
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Mike:
The price you gave was that a installed price? I just had two ten footers installed last spring for about that amount. Home Depot stocks Clo-play (sp) a major brand in verious sizes,with all equ.tracks ect. give them a call. Also try to find Chamberland closers , I paid $110.00 each.
,I found them on sale. The ones I replaced were the same brand and lasted 26 yrs. If you can't find them localy, let me know and I can give you there address and may be phone # . Dave smilie_flagge6.gif
MarkV
Just call around until you get someone cooperative. I got a Wayne Dalton insulated 18 X 7 door installed for $800. I told them that I am a realtor & that I was flipping the house not looking to pay retail. You don't want to install the door yourself it only took the guy a couple of hours.

The opener is easy to install, get a screw or belt drive they are quiet.
bernbomb914
You guys dont live in Santa Barbara. Everything is at least 1/3 more than any where else in So Cal. High cost of l;iving there.

Bernie driving.gif
rhodyguy
mike, i used to work for an outfit that sold/installed doors (i did gas fire places). call around for the biggest outfit you can find. go to a housing development and look for installers. clopay makes a damn good door, get the insulated version. when you get a bid ask for high lift tracks. irrc you have tall lids. spring for the install. any probs and they fix, you do and you're on your own. calling some one out is worse than a plumber. they come down much harder than they go up. the tensioner spring will kill you, maim at best, if you f-up. the weight of the door is key and the spring MUST be set correctly. with as much as your garage must have cost the door is chump change.

kevin
LvSteveH
There are some things best left to the pros, and installing a garage door is one of them. I totally agree with Kevin. They will install it in an hour and you'd be screwing with it for the better part of a day, and risk death and dismemberment in the process. If you want to save a few bucks, install the opener yourself, they show up on sale at sears for $125-150 once in a while. Good luck.
campbellcj
This is semi on-topic -- our place has a Genie screw-type opener on the main (2car) bay. It seems really LOUD to me but this is my first automatic opener and so I don't really have any frame of reference to compare it with. It is a problem because the garage is right under my 2-year-old's bedroom! Basically I can't go in or out while he is sleeping or there is hell to pay.

Do these things wear out, or just need some kind of servicing periodically? It seems to work fine...just noisy. Prolly at least 10 years old.
Joe Bob
Got another bid installed....for 950, gonna go with that and do the opener myself. The other opener on the "wifeys" garage decided to have fits, so I will do two at a time...thanks for the suggestions.... beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
chris, look at the screw. is it lubed? you can isolate the opener from the joists with a thick piece of rubber, like a tire tread or the material they use for conveyer belts (preferred). genies are not known for being quiet. moore-o-matic is a good opener. never heard of it? genie spends a fortune on advertiseing. for a big steel door look for a 1/2 hp motor. i love paying for a 30 second commercial.

kevin
campbellcj
Thanks Kevin...lubing seems like a grand plan. Also it is (apparently) bolted directly to the joists so I bet some insulating material would really help. Obviously one downside of the built-in garage is when the door is opened...or the effin' loud p-car is fired up...it reverberates thru the whole house!
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Campbellcj:
Insulating the opener from the frame work of the house/garage is very good and works.
Another trick is to go to Home Depot or other, and buy enought acoustical ceiling tile to cover the ceiling of your garage( cheapest you can find) and staple it up. Did this to a friends garage a few yrs. ago
. Now you can barely hear the G.door operate. Dave smilie_flagge6.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.