Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Need Windoze help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Cant print.. cant reinstall printer.

get error "printer spool service not running"

go to services.msc try to start spool services get error 1075, "service lost dependencies, marked for deletion"... or something to that effect

I can find my way around a pc pretty well... though this one has me stumped..

TIA beerchug.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(TimT @ May 25 2006, 10:08 PM) *

Cant print.. cant reinstall printer.

get error "printer spool service not running"

go to services.msc try to start spool services get error 1075, "service lost dependencies, marked for deletion"... or something to that effect

do a full scandisk on your harddrive. sounds like some files got corrupted ...
smile.gif Andy
Rand
If the printer was working before and you haven't rebooted the computer since the problems began, do that first.
Dr. Roger
copied from google search.... FIX on top. PROBLEM disc. below...
FIX:
I seem to have fixed it. Since people seem to run into this or similar problems quite frequently, I thought I'd say how I fixed it.

Using "regedit", I searched through the registry for all occurences of "spooler". Paging through the many occurrences of "Spooler" that occur in the registry, I found two that had "depends on" entries for a de-installed Lexmark service, something like "LexBCS". After editing these entries to remove the dependency and rebooting, I was able to start the spooler. Apparently when you use "Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services" to view services, dependencies on nonexistent services are not shown (and therefore you cannot delete them through that editor).

I suspect that another way to fix this is to use the "sc" utility to completely remove the "Spooler" service, then use "sc" to recreate it. CAUTION: doing this would require reinstating the previous dependencies on "Spooler". Probably this could be done by writing down all services that depends on Spooler (before deleting it, of course), then deleting it, recreating it, then editing all services that depended on Spooler to once again depend on Spooler.
\
PROBLEM:
Hi.

I could use some help with a printing problem that is giving me some serious hate after 3 hours. I have Windows XP Pro.

I used to be able to print fine. I believe that what happened is that I deleted software for my old Lexmark printer, and now I can't print with my week-old HP printer nor my years-old DYMO LabelWriter 330, which were working fine before. I tried uninstalling the HP software and reinstalling it, but got an error when the HP installation process tried to restart the Print Spooler Service. I now realize that the problem was likely with getting the Print Spooler Service started, and that I have probably made things even harder by trying to uninstall the HP software - I had no idea what was wrong when I started this process, since originally I just wanted to get the DYMO printer working.

Anyway, I am trying to get the Print Spooler Service to start, using "Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services". The error message is, "Could not start the Print Spooler Service on Local Computer. Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion." After reading some on the web, I used msconfig and a third party utility called Autorun to look for non-Microsoft services that depend on the print spooler. I have deleted every trace of LexMark that I could find on my system, and a lot of HP stuff, including the basic uninstall of both.

Also, the Print Spooler service depends on the RPC service. I changed the RPC service to start automatically, and it has started and seems to be running OK.

I have rebooted many times.

I still get Error 1075.

Maybe a service really is marked for deletion. How do I get a list of the services marked for deletion, and unmark something if it's scheduled?

Otherwise, I have no idea how to fix this. I could really use some help; printing is central to my home-based businesses. Any ideas?
TimT
HA... this prob originated after cleaning up all the Lexmark crap on my pc...

I replaced my Lexcrap printer months ago.. and noticed that there were still a bunch of Lexmark remnants running on my box. So I killed the Lexcrap stuff...

I knew some of something regarding the Lexmark removal caused this... just couldnt pin it down.

Roger thanks for the heads up..
SirAndy
QUOTE(TimT @ May 25 2006, 11:14 PM) *

HA... this prob originated after cleaning up all the Lexmark crap on my pc...
well, you failed to mention that small detail ... rolleyes.gif

if this didn't just happed but was the result of your software uninstall instead, then yes, it's most likely a registry reference to the now deleted lexmark printer driver ...

find out what services the spooler service thinks it depends on, then proceed to delete that reference in the registry ...

as always, it's a good idea to make a registry backup before you delete anything ...
smile.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
And I was ready to troubleshoot a window winding mechenism, silly me blink.gif
TimT
Andy, I "uninstalled" the Lexcrap printers software etc months ago...

and recently found some stragglers from Lexmark that were eating resources.. so I removed them

Its a bit annoying that some software vendors leave there crap on my machine..

There is no excuse that removing all instances of Lexmark prevents me from printing

another reason to not buy Lexmark

Brando
It's funny... as soon as you mentioned a problem with the print spooler... I knew you had (not currently have) a lexmark printer.

If you think their hostile takeover of the system's print spooler and drivers was bad, you should have seen Sony's Rootkit...
TimT
Well fixed it, had to rename some registry entries, and delete all instances of Lexmark from the registry. Now there is joy and I can print av-943.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.