Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Any thought about reducing the number of lists/forums?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smontanaro
I'm frankly quite amazed at how many different places there are to discuss 914 stuff: here, the Bird Board, Rennlist, several lists on Yahoo! Groups, at least one (inactive) Google group, yadda, yadda, yadda. That doesn't include all the less-specific Porsche or VW Type IV groups out there.

Has anyone considered trying to reduce the number of groups? I'm sure there are turf issues to consider. Maybe all we need to do is post the occasional message to otherwise inactive groups directing people here.

Is this a dead horse.gif that's been beaten before? Am I just headbang.gif? Are you all av-943.gif and chairfall.gif or thinking screwy.gif?

Skip

lapuwali
I don't really see this as a problem. There are a lot of newspapers and news channels to watch, too. Fewer than there were 30 years ago, certainly, and market forces have done their bit to reduce that number.

IMHO, this board really is the best of the lot. It's easily the best car board I've ever been on. For the most part, anything REALLY interesting that appears on another board will appear here before long.

So, just haunt this place and don't bother with the rest. Enough people do that, and the "problem" takes care of itself.
Brad Roberts
I stopped checking the other boards when we went live with this back in Dec. of 02

I stumble across new ones every once in awhile and somebody has ALWAYS re-directed them here.

Makes it easier for the other board admins.. no traffic... no work...

B
smontanaro
Okay, I'll just forget about the others.

The thing that motivated my post was that someone asked about a loose back window in 914@yahoogroups.com. I responded (twice - once via email and once via the Yahoo! Groups website) with a pointer to the back window classic thread. Both responses evaporated into thin air. I got no error messages or rejection notes, but neither one showed up in the list archive either (two or three other people responded successfully). I sent a note to Yahoo! Groups support but then wondered if it was worth it, and whether we could just convince those folks to close up shop and come on over here where the grass is greener.

Thx,

Skip
Engman
Dude - the yahoo list is run by somone who is like a total control freak.

I dont waste time there anymore after I found out how it was being run.

Complete waste of time.

M
Demick
This is by far the most active 914 site with the most members. Most who have stuck with the other lists or sites have specific or personal reasons why they avoid this site. Everyone else is here, which is why the other sites and lists are fairly inactive.

Doesn't seem to be any real reason to try and close down other sites or lists and force people here.

Demick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.