Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EPA super fund candidate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
So my valve cover seal on the lower drivers side was leaking....very slowly. I ordered the new style silicone covered seals and am waiting. So, I didn't go out to the garage all day yesterday untill like 7pm.........Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!

My floor was completely covered in oil from under the car to the garage door in a bout a 3 foot wide creek. The garage door was all that sort of stopped it, sort of.

I hate oil cooled..........my friend went to get me kitty litter while I soaked up the excess. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 26 2006, 12:50 PM) *

So my valve cover seal on the lower drivers side was leaking....very slowly. I ordered the new style silicone covered seals and am waiting. So, I didn't go out to the garage all day yesterday untill like 7pm.........Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!

My floor was completely covered in oil from under the car to the garage door in a bout a 3 foot wide creek. The garage door was all that sort of stopped it, sort of.

I hate oil cooled..........my friend went to get me kitty litter while I soaked up the excess. headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

What? No pics?
Elliot
Leo Imperial
DAM*(&%^&*^$%&$&$&IT!!!!!!!!

You set up the containment boom and I'll go call the Coast Guard.
TonyAKAVW
Sounds like its time for a Subaru conversion for you smile.gif

-Tony
sixerdon
You need to check the surface of your valve covers when you take them back off and check them on a level surface and make sure they aren't warped.
Man, with all that oel and petrol in your garage, I hope you've got a fire extinguisher handy and have your car insured in case it goes "POOF"!

Good luck,
Don
Aaron Cox
i saw this on a movie....

"if YOU build it......... it will leak"

LOL
Mark Henry
Should have done a big T4.....

(ducking for cover)
Joe Bob
Mine were warped....used 400 grit sand paper on a glass brick.....took a bit but it's flatter than the plains of Kansas.....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(mikez @ May 26 2006, 04:55 PM) *

Mine were warped....used 400 grit sand paper on a glass brick.....took a bit but it's flatter than the plains of Kansas.....

flatter than the chest of...... ________
Joe Bob
......yer first girlfriend....
So.Cal.914
Exxon Valdese has nothing over you. Warped?
Allan
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 26 2006, 03:54 PM) *

i saw this on a movie....

"if YOU build it......... it will leak"

LOL

av-943.gif

Sorry Mike.

Tell Noel hello...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(mikez @ May 26 2006, 04:56 PM) *

......yer first girlfriend....

she popped sad.gif chairfall.gif
JPB
Holly crap, oil is also radio active once run throught your engine for a while. Do not have sex on your shop floor! I can sell ya a lead cladded pair of gotchies if ya want unless you have no offspring in your futur.

spank.gif Just post a tetrogenic environment sign in front of your garage.
iamchappy
The silicone gaskets work great, dont torque them down they need very little.
fitsbain
Elliot -

Evil spent all his money on the six so he doesn't have a camera. Maybe once he gets that Dr. license he can get one and post pictures. But I'll get everyone pics when he shows up at my place.

Dr E. -

Just givin you a hard time

biggrin.gif
Elliot_Cannon
After he buys malpractice insurance he STILL won't be able to afford one. LOL
Elliot
Gint
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Dr Evil
Alright, alright. The pics wont be much more interesting as they will be of a sea of kitty litter on my garage floor (which the land lord touted as "very clean" before I moved in).
wilchek
Are you sure that you put in a porshce engine and not a jaguar. "fill the oil and check the gas" I was wrong about WWII weekend at Reading it is next weekend (2,3,4). If you and the misses are interested, get the car running and bring it down. I see the end in near and least it is not a mystery as to what problems you have to fix.
Katmanken
Very clean floor......

There is only one solution, you must completely coat the floor with oil and then clean it up. That way, it looks uniform, ie no oil spot jumping out to the eye.....

Ken
smooth_eddy
. I ordered the new style silicone covered seals

What are these? I have only seen the cork and rubber gaskets. Eddy
Dr Evil
Do a quick search on GPR's web site and you will see these.....you might not have noticed that they are for my /6, not a /4. I have not seen these for /4.

Sammy
When you take a lower valve cover off a 6, the oil will slowly drain from the tank through the pump and into the engine, that's why it kept leaking long enough to make the mess. BTDT. The hot setup is to pull one side at a time and jack that side of the car up high enough that it won't even drip.
BTW, I love the red silicone gaskets.
Make sure the cam tower is clean of old gasket material, don't worry about warped whatever, doan matter. These gaskets will conform no matter how warped the covers are. Make sure the gaskets are clean and dry (no sealant or anything) and only tighten them a little bit, less that 4 ft. lbs. Over-tightening will make them squish out and leak.
They will seal over and over, best money I spent on the 9-eleben (besides the turbocharger).
JPB
QUOTE(Sammy @ May 27 2006, 01:06 PM) *

When you take a lower valve cover off a 6, the oil will slowly drain from the tank through the pump and into the engine, that's why it kept leaking long enough to make the mess. BTDT. The hot setup is to pull one side at a time and jack that side of the car up high enough that it won't even drip.
BTW, I love the red silicone gaskets.
Make sure the cam tower is clean of old gasket material, don't worry about warped whatever, doan matter. These gaskets will conform no matter how warped the covers are. Make sure the gaskets are clean and dry (no sealant or anything) and only tighten them a little bit, less that 4 ft. lbs. Over-tightening will make them squish out and leak.
They will seal over and over, best money I spent on the 9-eleben (besides the turbocharger).

Holy scary leak problem. I'm suprised we don't hear of 6's burning up from that kind of oil leak. Cool info for all of us.
Dr Evil
Actually, I didn't remove the valve cover for just that reason. I worked in the garage for like 4 hours and it only pissed about a 1/2 dollar size puddle. I figured no prob....the next day I was shown to be wrong.

I didnt know the gaskets were reusable so I ordered 6....so I will be selling a set or two soon.
Dr Evil
The pics are after I started the clean up already so they are not as bad as it was, but you asked for them so here you are.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.