Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clay Bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
confused24.gif

My paint is now 27 years old (repainted '79). Under fluorescent light I can see what appears to be some shrinkage; minor, but it bugs me. By shrinkage I mean that if I look very closely I can see faint sanding marks (bright fluorescent light only). Only in panels that face upwards. First noticed these about 2 years ago, but shrugged it off to the lights, since they aren't visible under less critical forms of lighting.

I've used Meguiars products for many years & often wondered if thier clay bars are all they're cracked up to be. I understand they are probably good for removing minor grit/grime, but what about my need?

Would it be to my advantage to try this, or am I looking at wet sanding for best effect? Those who've used them.......what did you use for a lubricant? What's your judgement as to the effectivess of these things?
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 26 2006, 01:31 PM) *

confused24.gif

My paint is now 27 years old (repainted '79). Under fluorescent light I can see what appears to be some shrinkage; minor, but it bugs me. By shrinkage I mean that if I look very closely I can see faint sanding marks (bright fluorescent light only). Only in panels that face upwards. First noticed these about 2 years ago, but shrugged it off to the lights, since they aren't visible under less critical forms of lighting.

I've used Meguiars products for many years & often wondered if thier clay bars are all they're cracked up to be. I understand they are probably good for removing minor grit/grime, but what about my need?

Would it be to my advantage to try this, or am I looking at wet sanding for best effect? Those who've used them.......what did you use for a lubricant? What's your judgement as to the effectivess of these things?

GRIOTS CLAY AND SPEED SHINE AS THE SLIDE LUBRIANT....
tHEN USE THEIR BOTTLE OF FINE HAND POLISH..
FOLLOW UP WITH THEIR 20$ BOTTLE OF CONCOUR WAX..
All by hand first..
Next try a Gentle buffer if the hand application did not work...
Griots has a nice one with all of the products to go with....
Color sand as a last resort...
And Please mask off what you can.. and use lotzah towels to catch
runoff if you buff or color sand....
914-8
Clay bar isn't going to do anything for sanding marks.

Clay is fine for removing "stuff" stuck to the surface of the paint, but sanding marks are below the paint.

Sanding marks are hard to remove, and sometimes impossible, depending on how deep. I'd get an opinion from a really good pro detailer or body shop experienced with colorsanding.
914runnow
QUOTE(914-8 @ May 29 2006, 02:10 PM) *

Clay is fine for removing "stuff" stuck to the surface of the paint, but sanding marks are below the paint.

Sanding marks are hard to remove, and sometimes impossible, depending on how deep. I'd get an opinion from a really good pro detailer or body shop experienced with colorsanding.

Ahhhhh Man::: you told it like it is.........
Now Pat will have trouble sleeping at nite blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
Hammy
I've heard there is a clay bar or soap bar type thing that's good for removing the tiny particles that are on windshields (Make it impossible to see at night). Is this clay you're all discussing the same type product?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ May 30 2006, 06:59 AM) *

QUOTE(914-8 @ May 29 2006, 02:10 PM) *

Ahhhhh Man::: you told it like it is.........
Now Pat will have trouble sleeping at nite blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

sad.gif
Oh man, you've got that right! I'm sick over this. First the number 1 cylinder pukes its case-to-head seal, now this. Jeez, the car hasn't been driven more than 50 kmiles in the last 3 years!

Maybe I'm too anal about this paint thing. I broad daylight you can't see it, but under my fluoro lights I can see fine sanding marks. Think I'll call the guy in Cincinnati who painted it (still in business) & see what he suggests. Off the top of my head I can't recall the paint he used, but it was some sort of "new" poly-razzmatazz paint of the year. When he judged the car in a concours 10 years later he told me that he was surprised it had held up so well because all the others he'd done with that paint turned to sh_t in 5 years! Took mine 25 & it is far from sh_t, just not happy with it now.
ClayPerrine
Ah man... why did you have to bring this up???

Now I gotta admit this in public! mad.gif

I am a really cheap drunk... so they don't let me in bars. beer.gif drunk.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

hijacked.gif
Pat Garvey
av-943.gif
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 30 2006, 07:22 PM) *

Ah man... why did you have to bring this up???

Now I gotta admit this in public! mad.gif

I am a really cheap drunk... so they don't let me in bars. beer.gif drunk.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

av-943.gif

Oh brother! Took me about 10 minutes of staring & scratching my head before I figured this one out! Sorry for your affliction.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 26 2006, 01:31 PM) *

confused24.gif

I use Wurth's Zebra Finish as the lubricant.

I was surprised to learn that they are several grades of clay, with the typical "yellow" one having the least adbrasive surface. I doubt that any clay use will addess what your seeing under the surface.

Pat Garvey
Thanks to all who replied. Your advice is sort of what I expected. Fortunately, the problem is very minor & not visible under daylight or normal lighting, only the inforgiveable fluorescent.

Think I'll do nothing for now & talk to the painter about it when I get back to Cincinnati (that's where it was re-painted). Maybe a pro wet sanding will take care of the issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.