Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Splitting the Case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
415PB
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and wanted to ask, just how hard it is to split the case of my 2.0. I currently have the heads, pistons, valves and P/C's at the machine shop. I've gone this far and am wondering if I should split it.

I know alot, if not everyone will say to split the case, but can anyone let me know how hard this is and what to look for and replace. I am changing the rings, have had a valve job and have had the valve guides replaced. Thanks to all.
swood
Very easy. You've gone this far...split the case. It would be more worth your while to put in a fresh cam, cam gear, bearings and have everything balanced. Clean everything, seal everything, and hopefully you won't have to go through this exercise for another 100k (if it's done well). If you don't, you'll be most likely be splitting the case much sooner.

Just my .02 to help make your project take 2x longer. mueba.gif

Oh yeah, welcome to the board!
Charles Deutsch
You can download the factory manual from here . It will show you in detail how to do it.
swood
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Sep 26 2003, 07:33 PM)
You can download the factory manual from here . It will show you in detail how to do it.

...shhhhh...it's our little secret!
415PB
Charles and Swood, thank you...Charles I am trying to download the manual, but it keeps coming up blank when I click on the manual. I was able to download "Porsche Classic 914" and it is great. Any suggestions.

Thanks again
swood
Try this
Katmanken
Splittin the case is pretty easy.

Just make sure that you unscrew ALL of the nuts holding the halves together. There is one or 2 that like to hide in recesses that are near the lifter bores. If your case doesn't seperate after a whack or two from a rubber mallet, go on a search for them.

Don't force the halves apart.

During assembly, make sure you don't overtighten the bolt on the bottom that holds the oil pickup. It can break the case if you honk on it.

Ken wink.gif
Charles Deutsch
QUOTE(415PB @ Sep 26 2003, 08:01 PM)
Charles and Swood, thank you...Charles I am trying to download the manual, but it keeps coming up blank when I click on the manual.  I was able to download "Porsche Classic 914" and it is great.  Any suggestions.

Thanks again

914 Grp.1 Engine.pdf is a pdf file ... you'll need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it. The reader is free and you can download it here . After you've downloaded and installed the reader, right click on 914 Grp.1 Engine.pdf and choose "Save Target As" to save it to a file folder on your hard drive. It is a very large file so you will need a high-speed connection.
415PB
Charles and Swood thanks, I figured it out and downloaded the files last night. I am going to split the case today. Now if I can figure out how to get the oil pump off, I'll be fine, then onto the fasteners....
Bleyseng
Loosen all the nuts and bolts first and then the oil pump will come off. Its in there pretty damn good with everything torqued!

Geoff
415PB
Geoff:

I have been tugging at it for awhile. Is there a special puller or do I just keep using the two screw drivers as illustrated in Tom Wilson's book?

Thanks
Bleyseng
Have you undone all the case nuts and bolts? Then pry the oil pump out.

Geoff
415PB
Ok, now I am really frustrated mad.gif . Geoff, I finally got the oil pump off, and it indeed helped by taking off all the fasteners. The crankshaft side is splitting fine (about 1/8 inch open all the way down through the oil pump), but the flywheel side is not. I count 22 fasteners that I have off to the side and I searched four times for others. I didn't pull the fan hub on the cranshaft side, could this have something to do with the flywheel side not splitting and do I have to pull the hub to split the case. I dont have a puller and figured I would split the case and then worry about the fan hub afterwards. Thanks for your help.
Dave_Darling
You don't have to pull the hub off. But you do have to find the case through-bolt that hides behind the flywheel. There are also several that love to hide under layers of dirt and crud.

"If the case doesn't separate, you've missed a fastener." I've heard that advice many many times so far.

--DD
415PB
yep, you were right. Went into the garage and stared at the damn case for ten minutes, then found the lonely bolt. Amazing how easy it split after that. Did it by hand actually. I was scared for nothing. laugh.gif OK, so can anyone tell me what's next. Thanks for all the help.
Bleyseng
It's Always like that even after doing this for 20 years.

Geoff
Charles Deutsch
QUOTE(415PB @ Sep 27 2003, 09:02 PM)
OK, so can anyone tell me what's next.

Clean, inspect and measure, I guess. Or have a machine shop that is knowledgeable about these motors measure for you. Btw, Tom Wilson's book (Click Here) is a good guide for rebuilding your motor.
swood
415PB:
Where in SoCal are you? You'll need to have your case cleaned and checked for possible cracks. Tap and plug the galley holes, measure and if in spec, clean and balance everything that rotates. New bearings, new cam, new cam gear, new lifters to match cam, possibly new pistons and check the cylinders. THere's a lot to do and that you can do to make a sweet engine.

Spend countless hours searching this BBS and PP and you will be all the wiser.

May the force be with you. And remember, you have now been infected with the sickness! mueba.gif mueba.gif aktion035.gif
415PB
Swood, I live out here in the desert (Palm Desert, Palm Springs area) and it is still hot as hell here. The machine shop just finished my heads and all. The only thing needed was new valve guides and a valve job. I need to get new rings and the heads should be fine. Can I clean the case with a parts cleaner, like brake parts cleaner? I am so stoked that I have made it this far. Can't wait to get my 914 back on the road. I will definately get new bearings. I'll take the cam in to get ckecked and hopefully I can still use it or should I buy a new one? Thanks again...
415PB
I need to replace the camshaft and lifters. My camshaft gear is a -3. I really dont want to buy the stock cam for three hundred and some dollars. Is it feasible to buy the stock webcam (142) with the web lifters and purchase the 38 dollar gear, which is a -0- Any advice is appreciated.
SirAndy
QUOTE(415PB @ Sep 28 2003, 08:18 AM)
Can I clean the case with a parts cleaner, like brake parts cleaner?

yes, just get a case of good break cleaner and use it to hose all the grime off ...
use generously wink.gif

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.