Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Un-Hi-Jacked Carls post
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Carl,

Thanks!

Karl

P.S. I hate people that spell their name Karl with a C. It's people like YOU that make it difficult for ME to give my name to someone. Just kidding.

Can I have your name please?

Yes, it's Karl - with a K

They already have C written down. Ugh! headbang.gif

For a while, I tried saying "with a K, Karl" but then they get all confused.

Or I say... "Yes.. it's K-A-R-L." And then they act like I'm treating them like a kindergartner. finger.gif
reverie
Karl, I know what you mean.

There are far more "Rogers" than "Rodgers" - I would wager 5 or 10 anyway -
but people invariably spell my name with the damn D!.. oh well, it could be worse.. laugh.gif

- Roger
seanery
c'mon, you guys have it easy. Look at how my name is spelled.
S E A N . I usually get Shaun, Shawn, even seen Shean, Shawon.

Teachers used to call me "scene" Pronoune it the same as "seen".
These are the people who educate our youth.
Bleyseng
Try having Geoffrey for a first name. Jesus Christ! Goofrey, Goffrey, GEEoffrey, effin people have a 2nd grade education...
and forget having anybody pronounce my last name...Bartelmes. Most times they just look at me and roll over so I can kick them....

And what is it about "Bleyseng" that is sooo hard?? F*ck Roger you couldn't even say it when I met you! It sounds like blazing as in blazingly fast!

How do you say "Zois" now that is a tough one. Zoe is, Zoos, Zoo ees what?

Geoff
Jeroen
Now you image the face of the lady behind the desk when I registered for the AX that Brad took me to last march biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
Jeroen, I had to correct several of the Seattle guys on how to say your name. I couldn't believe what they came up with. What is your last name, btw?

I did a job for a man from India once whose name was pronounce like manure!

Geoff
swood
Try having your name like mine...Stephen E. Wood... and having the substitute teacher in jr high and high school pronouncing it "Stephanie Wood"! AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! mad.gif
fiid
People CANNOT grok two "I"s. For people writing it down, I say "F - I - I - D" and they invariably write FIDD.

Fiid.
Jeroen
Hey Geoff,

It's always fun to hear foreigners pronounce my name, it's like they're going to have a fit biggrin.gif
I usually laugh and joke "you can call me Joe"

Most don't even see a chance to write it right (you should see some of the e-mails I get)

My last name is Berloth [bear-lot]

So, every one repeat after me (and say it with pride)

ya-roon bear-lot biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
maf914
Jeroen,

When reading your name I pronounced it to myself as "Jer-ohn". But now "Ya-roon" makes sense. It's the Northern European pronunciation, where "Jan" is "Yahn"

My last name is Flisnick. Only a few in this country. Not too common, not too complex, but people give it hell both in spelling and pronunciation! laugh.gif

Mike
mike_the_man
Hey Fiid,

I grok it! Nice Heinlen reference. You must be a science fiction fan.
Jeroen
Ok, lemme guess... Fiid is pronounced like "fee-geed"

cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
Nope. Fid but with two "I's.

We highjacked Karls lengthy thread.. we should delete all this crap.

B
Qarl
Well, I'm to blame... I started it.
Bleyseng
Well, Kevin and Dave Hunt were pronouncing it "Urine" lol
I told them they weren't even close! Idiots.

Then there is that guy in Florida, Kellsey.

Geoff
Rouser
Talking about name screw-ups; OK ... Roy is easy, but than try Galan (pronounced "ga-LON"). I've heard everything from GALLON ("Yo, Gallon Of GAS!"), ga-LAN, GAY-LAN (Yo, Gay Boy!"), GAY-LON, ad nausea.

My wife (God bless the woman) loves her married sirname ("Babe, I correct 'em ON-THE-SPOT!"), and my boys (all growed up) use to deal with the mish-mashing as kids. The latinas hittin' on them know the name means "handsome" in Spanish, and they try living up to its meaning.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(swood @ Sep 26 2003, 09:16 AM)
Try having your name like mine...Stephen E. Wood... and having the substitute teacher in jr high and high school pronouncing it "Stephanie Wood"! AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! mad.gif

oh you got it easy-
my last name is cox (cocks- was the usual jest)

a least my name isnt
mike cox laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.