Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window decals.....?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
I'm assuming that certain window decals can be considered "acceptable", to wit, PCA Parade and Region decals, 914 Club logos, or PORSCHE factory decals, ie." '69 '70 '70 Marken Weltmeister". I'd think that sponsor decals or stickers(Shell, Ferodo, BP, Sunoco, Cibie,etc.)would be frowned upon unless part of a vintage race cars' original livery. I'd would think that if someone went overboard with the number and type of decal, that the judges could reduce the score in the "glass" catagory.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 27 2006, 10:16 AM) *

I'm assuming that certain window decals can be considered "acceptable", to wit, PCA Parade and Region decals, 914 Club logos, or PORSCHE factory decals, ie." '69 '70 '70 Marken Weltmeister". I'd think that sponsor decals or stickers(Shell, Ferodo, BP, Sunoco, Cibie,etc.)would be frowned upon unless part of a vintage race cars' original livery. I'd would think that if someone went overboard with the number and type of decal, that the judges could reduce the score in the "glass" catagory.

Well, as a guy with a little judging experience, and more than a little competiton experience (though not recently), this would be my take.

PCA decal - s/b OK at Parade & lower
Marken Weltmeister - only OK if you have a 914-6 - at any level
Parade decals - get em off, because I'll gig you for non-originality. Glue 'em to your blue & white Porsche/Audi jacket ( you DO have one don't you?)
Region decals - I'll gig you at Parade level only
Sponsor decals - go home! This ain't racing! You just scored maximum deduction!
sixerdon
I agree. One of my "sixes" has a "Pocono '74 Porsche Parade" sticker on the rear window. The O.O. put it on. I left it for posterity. I don't care what a judge would say. As long as there aren't any stickers like; "This car climbed Mt. Washington".
(Hmmmm. Now that I recall, they have had races up there)

Another issue is punishing the owner who had the dealer apply Ziebart throughout the panels. Drill holes and caps everywhere. Nasty enough to ruin originality, but you'll remember back in the 70's it was the right thing to do. If the holes are capped and clean, I don't have a problem.

Thoughts??

Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ May 27 2006, 04:50 PM) *

I agree. One of my "sixes" has a "Pocono '74 Porsche Parade" sticker on the rear window. The O.O. put it on. I left it for posterity. I don't care what a judge would say. As long as there aren't any stickers like; "This car climbed Mt. Washington".
(Hmmmm. Now that I recall, they have had races up there)

Another issue is punishing the owner who had the dealer apply Ziebart throughout the panels. Drill holes and caps everywhere. Nasty enough to ruin originality, but you'll remember back in the 70's it was the right thing to do. If the holes are capped and clean, I don't have a problem.

Thoughts??

Don

crest.gif

I have to agree on the Ziebart thing. In the early 70's Ziebart was at its peak & many midwest & eastern dealers offered the option & it made good sense at the time. Remember, this was before the days of galvanized panels & a midwest Porsche would last about 5-6 years of daily driving before rust appeared.

I know it's not factory original, but I personally have no problem with it if the holes are capped correctly & it's a clean job.
914runnow

Regionally here...PCA and Porsche would not be a big hit if any at all...
Depending on quanity...
NOR there would be >no hit< If you worked at the Federal site or at the
Air Base or were to have a housing community windshield sticker..
They gottah stay..
NOW if you had K and N stickers Deadhead etc....."I hug Trees"..
ETC... Yep deduct...Prev..Owner..P/O stuff...AND would cause vehicle
damage by removing..Leave it and explain your attempt....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ May 29 2006, 12:23 PM) *

Depending on quanity...
They gottah stay..

At the first Parade concours I was in the guy who placed 3rd actually had a bumper sticker on his rear bumper. Don't know if got gigged for it, but I beat hime by over 30 points. PCA judges really knew little about the cars in the early years. Hell, I had chrome wheels on mine & still walked away with first. Times have changed, though - wouldn't even think about trying that again.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ May 29 2006, 03:23 PM) *

<!-- quoteo(post=689798:date=May 27 2006, 10:16 AM:name=1970 Neun vierzehn) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 27 2006, 10:16 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->
<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->
Depending on quanity...
They gottah stay..

I just looked back at this post. Got me to remembering.

I was in grad school in '75 (with my 94, of course). My neighbor, a Corvette owner, got stuck on ice. I, being the STUPID one, said I'd use my front rubber bumper edge to nudge him off of the ice. He tried to stop me, but I said it'd work just fine. Eased the edge of the rubber bumper top onto his '69 Vette rear bumper guard - all looked well. Then, the laws of physics took over. His car = heavy. My car = light.

Give the 914 some power.....guess what - the front rises! Got him off the ice patch, but at the cost of a buggered up front bumper on the 914. Why I just didn't manually push him off is another story.

So, now I have a minor "booger" on my front bumper & am too poor to foot the $250 bill for a new one. So, I put my grad school parking decal on top of it (perfect fit). Won 4 concours events (local) with that in place.

So......I'm all in favor of "required" bumper stickers. Just explain why it's there to the judge questioning.
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

Here's a picture of a real (original) Porsche rear window sticker for 1974 models only. It was issued for the 25-year anniversary of Porsche's model 914's. I think it was also put on 912's, but not sure. I got this one from Stoddard's a few years ago with a Porsche part #.

Sorry for the poor picture.

Tom
TJB/914
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 12 2007, 06:45 PM) *

Hi Guys,

Here's a picture of a real (original) Porsche rear window sticker for 1974 models only. It was issued for the 25-year anniversary of Porsche's model 914's. I think it was also put on 912's, but not sure. I got this one from Stoddard's a few years ago with a Porsche part #.

Tom

\

I just found another closeup picture.

T
jd74914
Any idea on the number Tom, I would love one of those decals for my '74
TJB/914
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 12 2007, 08:10 PM) *

Jim,

I can't find a part #. They were obsolete when I got (2) from Stoddard's. I gave away my spare & don't have any left.

Tom
Bleyseng
send the pic to Zois to reproduce!
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 12 2007, 09:45 PM) *

It was issued for the 25-year anniversary of Porsche's model 914's. I think it was also put on 912's, but not sure.

I've seen that sticker on 911s too. I think all '74 cars had them as an option.
michaelmoo
http://www.vw-online.co.uk/acatalog/Karman..._at_K_K__9.html

They have them.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 13 2007, 12:10 AM) *

Yes, these are being sold on ebay as we speak, they were on a site I perused listing all Porsche parts....am thinking they are repros.....selling for under 15 bucks if I recall. I have not just now looked, tho they were on there several times just last week. A cool featured product. Good Luck !
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(michaelmoo @ Feb 13 2007, 03:56 PM) *

Oh, and I don't think I need to mention this....but these do not work real well on the rear window defog cars.....for the obvious reason of the wires on the glass getting all smurfed up and unable to do their job.
Got an old VW Fox I use as a winter SALT car, and the DAPO put a Berlin Decal from A Summers Night Storm Tour right over the corner of the defog decal and pretty well fritzed up the thing doing the job its intended to do. But the important thing is he thought it looked cool.........
mrgreenjeans
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 12 2007, 10:45 PM) *

Hi Guys,

Tom

Hmmmmmm........me likey. pray.gif

Nice pic and I gotta ask? Were you the guy I bid against mad.gif on Ebay to try and obtain these super rare tops ?
mrgreenjeans
Martin Baker
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Feb 19 2007, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 27 2006, 04:40 PM) *
Sponsor decals - go home! This ain't racing! You just scored maximum deduction!

Guess I am in way out of line with my car.

Yeah - it's not on straight!!
new_shocked.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.