Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show me your mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
Just looking to see how you guys have setup a rear view mirror. Mine came with what I think is a 356 mirror mounted where the sun visors should be. Kinda small I feel plus it sorta shakes.

So I mounted a no name concave mirror in it's place with a bracket I pouned into shape with a hammer. I can see real good with it but I know once I go drive tomorrow it's gonna shake like crazy(car is at the front with 3 cars behind it so no test drive).

I think I prefer the concave. Those 3 panel and 4 panel are a bit much for me.

But what have you guys done?
campbellcj
The Longacre convex mirrors are very nice. I have the smaller one which I think is 14". Normally they are rollcage mounted but there may be other ways to fab a bracket for 'em.

I used a "Wink" panel type mirror for a while and the visibility was insane but it vibrated quite a bit and I didn't like having the mirror directly in front of my face.
Air_Cooled_Nut
G/f has the digital camera so I can't show you the mirror in the 914. But this mirror is the same one in my Jetta and I put one in my g/f's Passat as well.
IPB Image

Here's where you can find more info about it:
http://www.allviewmirror.com/

All three cars use model 1750 though if you already have a stock mirror then the Smart-Clip may be an option. I highly recommend this mirror!
turboman808
Hey I just test drove it. It's not bad. It shakes when I shift but is pretty steady when cruising.

I'm kinda digging that wide flat one. Sometimes the convex one sorta freaks me out.
Dr Evil
Here is mine. Adjustable, switchable halogen map lights piratenanner.gif I modified it for my car, of course.

Your s sounds like a converted BMW 2002 mirror. They work, but are way too small IMHO.
turboman808
Yeah the mirror is to small. But I noticed that I can't see out the back with the top off anyways. Seems light shines in.

Yeah your mirror looks like a bit much. I like to stick with my minimalist ways.
markb
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 27 2006, 09:03 PM) *

Here is mine. Adjustable, switchable halogen map lights piratenanner.gif I modified it for my car, of course.

Your s sounds like a converted BMW 2002 mirror. They work, but are way too small IMHO.

So, where did you get your mirror, Dr?
Dr Evil
BMW 325i mirro from the 80-90s with the map light option. Not cheap enough for me to make production runs of unfortuantely, but I like it a lot.
lotus_65
mine
those larger ones are fine if you don't use the visors! smile.gif
JPB
My visors are gone, my RVM gone due to the role bar going right accross the top of the windshild at the visors. I'm thinkin billet Latest Rage billet tube mountin parafinalia like RVM, grab handle,cleanex box holder, GPS mount, satelit dish mount, bang head hear plate and passenger toilet paper/suicide crapper donut.

mrs.K.gif Don't worry honey, this is a stock slow fun car with bad breaks.
lotus_65
QUOTE(JPB @ May 28 2006, 06:41 AM) *

My visors are gone, my RVM gone due to the role bar going right accross the top of the windshild at the visors. I'm thinkin billet Latest Rage billet tube mountin parafinalia like RVM, grab handle,cleanex box holder, GPS mount, satelit dish mount, bang head hear plate and passenger toilet paper/suicide crapper donut.

mrs.K.gif Don't worry honey, this is a stock slow fun car with bad breaks.

chairfall.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 28 2006, 03:05 AM) *

mine
those larger ones are fine if you don't use the visors! smile.gif

That depends on how they're set up. For me, only one visor is not completely useable (it's 1/2 usable smile.gif ) On the Jetta, Passat, and Squareback, when the visors are detatched (unlike the 914...which to this day has never made sense to me) they are fully functional. The unit I use has a visor built in. Yes, the Wink mirrors would likely make the 914 visors useless BUT back when I had one in my Squareback I had two, green tinted plastic visors clipped to the bottom of the mirror to help. Honestly, I rarely ever use sun visors simply because the roads around here aren't straight.
Dr Evil
The mirros that I made and use do not goof with the visors. They all worked fine in my car, adn you can adjust the visors out ward a little bit.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Okay, g/f back and I took some pictures of my mirror.
Here's the mirror:
Air_Cooled_Nut
And with the visors ALL the way down! I was wrong, they are fully functional...shows how much I use 'em!
Air_Cooled_Nut
Sort of a straight-on shot of the mirror (it's tilted towards the driver side a little) showing the wide angle view:
Air_Cooled_Nut
And this is a very close approximation of what I see. I actually see a little more below the roll bar:
Hammy
Nice wide angle of view. Do you have a shot of what it looks like from the front of the car looking through the windshield?
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Hammy @ May 29 2006, 01:20 AM) *

Nice wide angle of view. Do you have a shot of what it looks like from the front of the car looking through the windshield?

You just want to see my crappy looking teener welder.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
Built-in sunvisor down Click to view attachment

Behind the scences view. Two ball-joints, GM window mount, no vibration up to 95mph (then I had to slow down sad.gif )
Click to view attachment
race914
For my track car driving.gif I use the "Lanechanger I" available at pepboys for ~$7

IPB Image

www.lanechanger.com

Works really well and a good value!
turboman808
Hey thanks the all view mirror looks like it works real well.

I made an impulse buy on ebay for some race mirror. I'll see how that one is first but if it doesn't work out I will buy that one instead.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.