Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More on my ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Here is a picture of the VR sensor mounted to the back of the inner cooling shroud. It fits between the shroud and the oil cooler, oil filter.
DNHunt
I routed in a stainless steel gusset with a track so that the sensor position can be adjusted. Stainless carriage bolts anchor it
rhodyguy
hey, lets go get breakfast. jeannes still snoozin. like i said last night im way impressed. just visualizing your setup would have me gulping tylenols.

kevin
Bleyseng
Gawd you two are up early!

Geoff
DNHunt
I can only hope that the first time I adjust it I'll get it right. Getting tools in there is going to be a bitch. Here is the shroud and the sensor mocked up to the front of the engine
DNHunt
another

Dave
DNHunt
Kevin,

I'd love to get breakfast but I gotta help with the kids. Betsy's trying really hard to show some interest and encouragement right now. I gotta help in return. See ya later this morning.

Dave
rhodyguy
if your cars not done and you're typing i'm going to have a field day.

kelvin
Brad Roberts
Dave... your going to have to notch the fan shroud so you can get tools in there.

Also.. how to do you move the sensor closer or farther away ?? Shouldnt it have a .60 gap or something ??

B
Katmanken
Ah, the eternal search for a way to sense crank position on one of these engines!

I was screwing around on my Vanagon engine (T5)and found this funky 3 prong connector with a wire running under the EFI to a hole in the engine case next to the flywheel. Didn't have a clue what it did as it wasn't connected to anything.

Looked in the manual and found that it was a VW TDC sensor that senses the flywheel position for tuneup procedures. From the pics of the flywheel, it seems to sense two small holes or magnets in the flywheel (pic too small to tell)

What this means is there are VW parts available that can sense the flywheel and can accomodate the longitudinal movement of the flywheel/crank (.003-.006) and still sense. I've been toying around with the idea of using a couple of these VW factory sensors and the flywheel to sense crank position. That area of the engine is fairly accessable for adjusting the sensors. Havn't looked to see if that location would be close enough to the axis of spin to provide a decent signal at high speed.

Ken
Bleyseng
Dave, instead of carriage bolts look for a round head allen or torx bolt. That way you can adjust the timing/hall effect clearance from this side.

Geoff
DNHunt
Thanks Geoff I'll try the other fasteners.

I can get to the nuts with the oil filter removed thats why I thought of the carriage bolts. I'm really hoping for set it once and go.

Brad, the clearance is 1 to 2 mm and the sensor is slotted to move fore and aft.

Dave
Brad Roberts
I couldnt see the sensor slots.. confused24.gif

Ken,

I have spoken of this in the past (when I first noticed the sensor on a VW block).. let us know what you find.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.