Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Breather Plug?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drewvw

sooo....tonight for the hell of it I decided to take out the pcv valve and pull out the oil breather assembly on the 1.7.

When I looked into the housing that the oil breather housing sits, I saw this little round plug just sitting there. I pulled it out and searched the part number (022 115 486 ) on pelican and AA and it comes back as "oil breather plug".

So my question is....what is this plug for? It looked like it was just laying in there, what the heck is this thing for?

thanks...

Drew
Dave_Darling
It should go into a hole on the bottom of the oil breather. It covers (partly) the hole where the PCV valve is. If it's the part I'm thinking of, at least!

--DD
bd1308
I have messed around with three engines in my 914, and all of them have had this plug in the crankcase chimney. I usuually either try to put them back in the breather, which 99% of the time doesnt last long, or just take it out.

b
drewvw

Thanks dave, yup that was it.

The part I couldn't figure out was why the plug would cover the hole below the PCV, but if thats the way it goes then thats the way it goes...

Dave_Darling
It doesn't completely block the hole, though. I think. I recall there being spaces between the "prongs" that hold the plug onto the breather box, and I think those allow air through.

--DD
bd1308
Dave, the oil filler isnt sealed from the oil filler container or the PCV...

even if the plug was fully closed, theres plenty of air access....

b
drewvw

i did notice those prongs when i put her back together...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.