Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are you on dialup?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Those of us who are using slow connections blink.gif - here are some tips for better performance when browsing the 914 Club:

1. (it sounds obvious, but I'll start here) Close Outlook, Kazaa, your Instant Messenger, and other web-windows. If using AOL/Compuserve, close ALL your other windows.

2. Getting pop-up messages? Shut off your messenger service. In W2K and WXP:

-Go to Administrative Tools
-Click Services
-Scroll down, and right-click "Messenger"
-Click Stop

3. Go into your 914 Club Controls (link at top of page)
-at the bottom, on the left, click "Board Settings"
-Set the following to "NO"
----->View Members Signatures
----->View Members Avatars
-Setting "View Images" to "No" will really speed you up, but you'll lose a lot of content. Your choice.

4. (While you're in there.) If you use cookies, take the time to click "YES" to "Hide Session ID in links". Choosing 'no' may cause problems when sharing links with people on the same proxy as you.

5. Consider changing the number of posts/topics you see on each page. The fewer posts/topics per page, the faster your page will load. This is good when you only are interested in the last message on a thread. Down-side? You'll have to go through more pages. Find a happy medium for you.

6. Click "Change My Account Options".

Enjoy happy browsing!

-Rusty smoke.gif
on a crappy dial-up
Red-Beard
OK - I'm outta touch. When did you move to VA?

BTW - for my dial up needs I found:

http://www.access4less.net/

$5.95 and they have lots of local access numbers.

James
Rusty
I'm in Virginia for school for 3 months. I closed my apartment and got here last week.

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. That sounds like a good dial-up deal. I'm so used to broadband, that browsing the BBS is painful now at dial-up speeds.
d914
ok howabout a couple of tips on uploading pictures and how to shrink the size so the site will accept them. Have been unale to post even with DSL.
J P Stein
Irfanview is a free download. Wurks gud for shrinking images. It takes some fooling around to figure out how to make it work....but not too bad.

Do a goggle search for free software.....hay, I *sound* like a real puter wonk laugh.gif
jarbuthnot
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Sep 27 2003, 10:46 AM)
3. Go into your 914 Club Controls (link at top of page)
-at the bottom, on the left, click "Board Settings"
-Set the following to "NO"
----->View Members Signatures
----->View Members Avatars

Thank you, thank you smile.gif The fastest phone line I can get here is 32000, and it takes forever for pages to load.
Rusty
d914,

Welcome to the BBS!

A new user can post pictures after posting 10 times.

To answer your picture-reduction question, I like a shareware program called TNailer, by Smaller Animals Software. It allows you to reduce (to your specs) an entire batch of pictures at once.

-Rusty smoke.gif
d914
thanks, I was reading another tiraid and figured out the ten posting thing about ten minutes ago. I'm sure it posted some where but my cursing practice at the computer is now at full quota. I sell software for a living and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, Duh.... fighting19.gif
dakotaewing
I have NetZero dailup at home...I downloaded the new XP Sevice Pack about 4 days ago and ever since I cannot stay online for more that 4-8 minutes before I am kicked off... It really SUCKS -
Can anyone give me some ideas how to fix this??
NetZero wants $2 a MINUTE....
Thanks
Thom
seanery
It doesn't sound like net zero is zero anymore huh?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.