Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pilot Lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgara962
Once again, I have managed to take a simple project and turn it into a complete frustration. PO had driving lights with one connection. On the pass side, one wire went to the connection, other wire was grounded to the mounting bracket of the light. On the drivers site, there are two wires into one connector that was connected to the light (I'm assuming one is power from pass side?), and then a ground to the mounting bracket. New Pilot lights have two wires, one white and one black. By the looks of it, this is all the original 74 wiring. I'v only worked on the drivers side, and connected the two wire plug to white on the Pilot, and the black to black, but the lights didn't come on.

Now I'm totally confused. For anyone that has a similar setup, or at least a basic knowledge of wiring, what goes to what?

Any help would be appreciated. Please contain your laughter...

John
Demick
You make it sound like you are replacing the original (or previously installed) fog lights with the Pilot ones. Is that true and did the original lights work before you started the replacement? If so, then it should be a simple swap.

If not, and you are trying to figure out the wiring. From your description, it sounds like you have it right. But maybe the fog light relay is missing or not function correctly. Fog light relay is mounted on the top side of the fuse panel plate (by your left knee when you are driving).

Demick
jgara962
Yep, replacing the square driving lights that were mounted to the front of my 916 spoiler. Going with the Pilot lights that will mount behind it with holes cut in the spoiler.

Last time I drove the car at night, the old driving lights worked fine. I just tried to hook up a ground per the instructions. Connected the black wire to black of each lamp, and then ran it back to the neg. of the battery. Nothing. headbang.gif

WTF am I missing here? I checked everything with the ohm meter and it has power. Feeling like a complete loser sad.gif
Trekkor
You are welcome to come up and see my install. I did them when I reassembled the car after paint.

KT
jgara962
Sounds good. When are you going to be around?
Trekkor
Tomorrow evening.

KT
McMark
Also, check the wires with a voltmeter (power) and ohm meter (ground). If you don't have one you're welcome to borrow mine.
jgara962
QUOTE(McMark @ May 29 2006, 09:15 AM) *

Also, check the wires with a voltmeter (power) and ohm meter (ground). If you don't have one you're welcome to borrow mine.

Sorry, wrong term. I did check it with a voltmeter. I think it read 5.7??? Whatever it was, there was power.

Trek - What's a good time?
Chris Pincetich
Do you still have ONLY the driver's side wired up??
You are on the right track: double (+) on drivers side to white on Pilot, single (-) to black on Pilot.
Now you need to wire up the passenger side to complete the (+) circuit. One of the 2 (+) on the drivers side powers the passenger side. If this is floating in mid air it may be the reason nothing is working. Good luck! beerchug.gif
jgara962
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ May 29 2006, 11:54 AM) *

Do you still have ONLY the driver's side wired up??
You are on the right track: double (+) on drivers side to white on Pilot, single (-) to black on Pilot.
Now you need to wire up the passenger side to complete the (+) circuit. One of the 2 (+) on the drivers side powers the passenger side. If this is floating in mid air it may be the reason nothing is working. Good luck! beerchug.gif

Tried this yesterday with no success, that's why I'm so PO'd right now. A simple 1hr. project has taken way too much time from a 3-day weekend. Maybe I'll go try it again, what's to lose at this point biggrin.gif
Demick
Just because you got a reading does not mean there is power. 5.7?? is not anything you should be seeing. Lets start with some basics.

#1. Are you aware that the ignition must be on and the headlights must be on for the fog lights to work? Also, the headlights must be on low beam (if they are on high beam, the fog lights will not turn on).

#2. With all of #1 conditions satisfied, hook up a voltmeter. One lead to the white wires, the other to ground. Do you get 12 or 13 volts? If not, you are not getting power.

#3. If you are not getting power, as I suspect, the likely culprits are either a fuse, or the relay that I mentioned in an earlier post. Have you checked both of those yet?

marks914
Make sure your high beams are not on. I also think the ignition might have to be on.

Mark
jgara962
QUOTE(Demick @ May 29 2006, 02:48 PM) *

Just because you got a reading does not mean there is power. 5.7?? is not anything you should be seeing. Lets start with some basics.

#1. Are you aware that the ignition must be on and the headlights must be on for the fog lights to work? Also, the headlights must be on low beam (if they are on high beam, the fog lights will not turn on).

#2. With all of #1 conditions satisfied, hook up a voltmeter. One lead to the white wires, the other to ground. Do you get 12 or 13 volts? If not, you are not getting power.

#3. If you are not getting power, as I suspect, the likely culprits are either a fuse, or the relay that I mentioned in an earlier post. Have you checked both of those yet?

I've tried ALL variations. Anyway, my foglights came on separately from the headlights, and didn't switch off with the high beams.

I tested as suggested, and no power. The fuse is okay, so I checked the relay. The plastic around one of the female receptors is melted if that means anything. It looks like it is the original relay where the wire all goes into a sealed piece with the female receptors, and then a round piece plugs into it. I actually have a more standard relay here, can I just cut the wires, put spade conectors on them, and use that?
jgara962
rocking nana.gif VICTORY! rocking nana.gif

Put in a new 30 amp relay and then there was light!

I know this goes down as one of the smaller issues posted on the board, but I'll take it. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.