Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where is your driver's seat located?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
I replaced the driver's side floor pan, and before welding in the new seat bracket mounts I noticed that it seems impossible to actually get the seat centered behind the steering wheel.
I say impossible because the 'claw' that is attached to the cross brace on the floor pan (the one that's used for the seat tilt adjustment) forces the placement of the seat to some extent- which in my car seems to be off an inch or so to the left of center of the steering wheel. Is this normal?

I've been doing searches for pictures of cars with the roof off viewed from the top down, but haven't been having much luck.
smooth_eddy
I think they are all off center. I noticed this only at first and now it does not bother me. It's just the way it is! Eddy
Joe Ricard
I put my Sparco further to the middle of the car. Seems good to me.
Rand
Yup. Off center is the way they came. If the steering wheel is center, then the seat is democratic and the pedals are republican. wink.gif
rjames
Yup. Off center is the way they came.

I guess my car has been off the road long enough for me not to remember- not a good thing!!

Brett W
After driving a more modern car and then getting in the teener it really annoys the hell out of me. My next street car will have a seat centered behind the wheel and pedals inline with my legs.
campbellcj
Yep, they are all off-center. I mounted my race seat brackets as close to the tunnel as possible, which helps a tad. Somebody (Brad, I think) also suggested that you can slightly angle the front end of the brackets inwards (towards the tunnel) a bit so your legs have a straighter shot at the pedals. I may have put a tiny angle in my brackets but I don't recall.
byndbad914
Funny, but the steering wheel is at an angle as well! I moved my seat inboard 1-3/4" to center up on the wheel and pedals, then I got in and it seemed like I had to really extend my left arm v. my right. Sho 'nuf, the freaking wheel is angled along a line from the pedals to the seat. Easy fix though - I oblonged three of the mounting holes for the column, rotated it straight, then had to cut a couple new grooves for the steering linkage bolts to pass through (all using a die grinder).
SirAndy
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ May 30 2006, 02:52 PM) *

Funny, but the steering wheel is at an angle as well!

agree.gif what most people don't ever realize, the steering wheel is tilted as well.

i drive my 914 daily and i don't recall ever feeling weird about it. the right side is a bit closer to the driver. i guess i must have gotten used to it ...
driving.gif Andy
byndbad914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 30 2006, 03:01 PM) *

agree.gif what most people don't ever realize, the steering wheel is tilted as well.

i drive my 914 daily and i don't recall ever feeling weird about it. the right side is a bit closer to the driver. i guess i must have gotten used to it ...
driving.gif Andy

Actually I didn't notice it at all until I moved the seat in. Then I jumped in and immediately thought WTF? Held a long straight edge across the wheel, looked down through the windshield and the 3ft straight edge makes it very apparent.

Otherwise, in the stock seat location, I think you naturally sit a bit sideways due to the pedals, so the wheel feels inline.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.