Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: INDY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
Boy those Andrettis just don't have any luck at the brickyard

I thought Marco was going to win when Hornish tried to get him at 3 with 2 laps to go and then had to drop way back.

Those Penskes were fast when they needed it. biggrin.gif
Lou W
Yah, great finish. ph34r.gif

I just thought the coment from Marco about finishing second was kinda cheap... let's see, 19 years old, rookie, Indy 500. dry.gif There are alot better drivers than him that have never finshed that good.

Michael, what can you say, what was it it his 14th?

Coca Cola 600 on next, oh wait, I'm not suppose to bring NASCAR up here. smile.gif
boxstr
I am so glad they had Rusty Wallace their as a commentator. He said " this is the most exciting Daytona 500 I have every seen"
Thanks Rusty for setting us straight blink.gif
CCLINAUTOSONHDTV
Lou W
QUOTE(boxstr @ May 28 2006, 02:05 PM) *

I am so glad they had Rusty Wallace their as a commentator. He said " this is the most exciting Daytona 500 I have every seen"
Thanks Rusty for setting us straight blink.gif
CCLINAUTOSONHDTV

biggrin.gif I missed that one, but that doesn't surprise me. I wondered why they asked him as a commentator, I guess it's about ratings. If they wanted someone from NASCAR, they should have asked Robbie Gordon, at least he's raced the Indy 500 before. smile.gif
DanT
yeah, Craig, I was wondering about that too.....why Rusty, a NASCAR guy. You mean to tell me they couldn't come up with a retired Cart or IRL driver...

Unser SR.
Bobby Unser
Danny Sullivan

etc.

I heard Rusty's booboo at the end of the broadcast....kind of silly, no?

Do the Frances have their fingers in all auto racing now? sad.gif dry.gif
Lou W
Maybe its the tryouts for him when he's no longer in the drivers seat. dry.gif
Brew
Danny Sullivan was busy working the F1 race in Monaco. CBS's F1 broadcast team sucks, too. But at least Sullivan has actually run an F1 race....
carreraguy
That was some race for sure! I was rooting for Tony Kanaan all along; been following his career since CART and I've always been impressed by his skill and personality. Marco did show some class by not blocking on the final straight but the after race interview indicated he had second thoughts about not blocking and he sure didn't like being second!

I was planning on Tivoing the Monte Carlo F1 race until I heard the commentators. Why are the US commentators so crappy? Maybe we need some US F1 drivers as commentators? (Read this while tongue in cheek) biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Did Dana win?
Lou W
QUOTE(carreraguy @ May 28 2006, 02:52 PM) *

That was some race for sure! I was rooting for Tony Kanaan all along; been following his career since CART and I've always been impressed by his skill and personality. Marco did show some class by not blocking on the final straight but the after race interview indicated he had second thoughts about not blocking and he sure didn't like being second!

I was planning on Tivoing the Monte Carlo F1 race until I heard the commentators. Why are the US commentators so crappy? Maybe we need some US F1 drivers as commentators? (Read this while tongue in cheek) biggrin.gif

How about Jackie Stewart, he was fun to listen to. smile.gif

I think she came in 7th or 8th, Sam Hornish Jr. won. ph34r.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 28 2006, 05:32 PM) *

Did Dana win?

Yea won the most publicity. during commercials, during the race, during pre-race
and see even looked hot post race. driving-girl.gif
Elliot_Cannon
I got the feeling that Marco was totally surprised when he was passed at the last moment. His comment that 2nd place "is nothing" was the reaction of a youngster. I wonder if he yet realizes how lucky he is to be in his position. He's an incredibly gifted driver and has an almost unlimited future. His last name doesn't hurt much iether. It was one of the most entertaining 500s I've seen in awhile. Sometimes the TV commentators should just keep their mouths shut for awhile.

Cheers, Elliot
Allan
Jeez all you left hand turn fans, didn't anybody watch the Monaco GP?
Doug Leggins
I have been to several Indy 500 races. This one definately ranks up with the best that I have seen. Good competition, great finish.

I got a few pics before the race.

Here is a huge banner that really looked cool -eyecatching entrance. 300,000+ spectators make for huge crowds everywhere!
Doug Leggins
The Pagoda from the back side. My son and I walked around the grounds before the start of the race.
Doug Leggins
Marco's car headed out to the starting grid.
Doug Leggins
Tony's car headed out to the grid.
Doug Leggins
Z06 Pace Car
Doug Leggins
Here's the front cars on the pace lap. After this I put the camera up. I don't have the skills or equipment to get pics of the cars at speed.
carreraguy
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 28 2006, 05:08 PM) *

Jeez all you left hand turn fans, didn't anybody watch the Monaco GP?

I'm a big fan of F1 but Monaco is the least exciting for me since there is next to no room to pass on the course. I think Bernie only keeps the Monaco race in the mix because of the money Monaco pays for the great PR/business, the bling factor with the royals and all, and because he knows the US market will pay well for somethinng to counter the Indy 500 race. Also as mentioned earlier, I didn't bother recording the race since the US announcers are so crappy - the guys on Speed are way ahead of them on knowledge/credibility and skills in covering F1 races in general. The main reson I watched the 500 was that I noticed that Townsend Bell was entered as a rookie and I wanted to see how he did after his CART and F2000 experience. Bell was an instructor at Skip Barber when my son went thur the 3 day course; he took me on a fun bus ride around the Laguna Seca track to watch my son from the Corkscrew; nice guy, hope he does well in Indy cars this season.
GeorgeRud
Luckily, both the 500 and Monaco were close by on the channels, so much surfing during the broadcasts. It looked like Schumacher had a great race coming from the back of the grid, and I think there was one or two other passes, but that was about it for Monaco it seemed.

It was fun to see the stratagies and luck from the 500. You have to be there and ready to win at the end of the race - who would you rather have coaching your team other than Penske? A Fun Time by all!
VaccaRabite
I was rooting for Kanaan (sp?) as well, but really loved the finish of the race. A little more experience and I think that marco Andretti could have held on to the victory. After the failed pass attempt the prior lap, I thought the rookie had it sewn.

When Hornish whipped around at the last freak'n second for the winning pass, I actually yelled "holy shit, he did it..." right in front of my fiance's grand mother. I did not turn around to see if I was getting evil eyes...

Especially after Hornish's bad pit, I did not think that he could pull it off.

Left turns are boring, but I usually do watch the Indy 500.
Zach
URY914
I think Marco must have lifted at the end. He was passed like he was standing still. sad.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 29 2006, 01:24 PM) *

I think Marco must have lifted at the end. He was passed like he was standing still. sad.gif

It makes you wonder, I think it was a lap earlier, Sam rushed up on him then backed off, I guess Sam was waiting for just the right moment to pass him. ph34r.gif
Joe Ricard
DRAFTING................
URY914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 29 2006, 12:44 PM) *

DRAFTING................

I recorded it and watched it several times. He didn't draft him, he just closed on him and passed him. I still think the kid lifted at the end thinking he had the race won.
maf914
On Speed News later on Sunday, Robin Miller and Derek Daily commented that they thought Marco with a decent lead on Hornish had not run turns 3 and 4 hard enough on the final lap, giving Hornish a chance to catch and pass him. It was quite a finish just the same. The final caution ruined Tony Kanaan's chance, just when he was showing he had the speed, and it put the Andrettis and Hornish back to the front.
Pompano Beach 914V8
I hate watching any sporting event other than the American 3 ball sports,,,b-ball, african round ball, american f ball (30minute game stretched to 3+ hours) on network TV. The announcers are SOOOO BAD they insult my intelligence. They treat motorsports the same as the Olympics, just a series of pre-written personal stories with the actual event as unfortunate background intrusion to their mindless blather.

This one took the cake. What a bunch of usless drama barf.gif the last 20 laps. There were pit-stops and strategy happening at break-neck speed and these guys barely covered it.
URY914
Rusty Wallace doing a Indy race!!! chairfall.gif w00t.gif owned.gif thumb3d.gif wacko.gif rolleyes.gif chairfall.gif
maf914
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 30 2006, 09:34 AM) *

Rusty Wallace doing a Indy race!!! chairfall.gif w00t.gif owned.gif thumb3d.gif wacko.gif rolleyes.gif chairfall.gif

Yeah, I agree. ABC/ESPN is going to get some of the NASCAR races next year and they want Rusty to get some practice before they use him as the NASCAR color man. He's not terrible and he tries to kiss up to the Indy car fans, but why use a NASCAR driver when there are retired Indy/Champ car drivers out there that speak well and understand the series? Do Indy car fans need a NASCAR driver to explain the sport to them? Then toss in Brent Musberger and his melodramatic posturing. It can be hard to take. I have stopped watching the Olympics because of the over abundence of up-close-and-personnals and the lack of actual event coverage. I can't take it anymore! laugh.gif

Oh, the CBS coverage of F1 sucks compared to the Speed coverage. And why can't they broadcast the damned races live? ar15.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.