Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does the search function even work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I punched in "pilot fog lights"...this alone should get me a least a couple of dozen hits.
All I ever get is error messages or a best a couple of crap results.

WTF.gif
cbenitah
add AND between the words

Results
Dr Evil
Ya, I don't speak "search" either.
736conver
Or you could be more general in the search. Just put in "pilot" Not everyone will use the exact words you use, so I find the general the better.
lapuwali
The phrase typed into the search box has to match exactly: "pilot fog lights" must appear exactly that way for it to be found. It won't match "pilot fogs" or "pilot lights" or even "pilots".

Using AND "pilot AND lights" will match any post that has the word "pilot" and the word "lights" in it anywhere in it, not just the phrase "pilot lights". Doing so gave me several pages of results, many of them relevant. It even found this very thread. biggrin.gif

This is different from, say, Google, which will automatically match plural works (pilot and pilots will match if you enter pilot), and it automatically "ANDs" words together. You have to explicitly say "pilot fog lights" in Google to match that exact phrase.

Unfortunately, unlike some sites, you can't point Google directly at 914world.com: 914world.com: pilot fog lights. This will give you only Classic threads (and probably not even all of those), not regular threads on the site. There's talk of fixing this on the site to Google can crawl the whole site, but it won't work right now.

davep
That is a little too restrictive. Try 'pilot fog' or just pilot
Dr Evil
What happend to my other reply to this thread?
McMark
Mark, you need to search for "pilot AND fog AND lights" otherwise it looks for the EXACT phrase "pilot fog lights".

Stupid, but I'm not going to reprogram it. wink.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 28 2006, 07:27 PM) *

What happend to my other reply to this thread?

It's in the duplicate thread that Mark posted (probably).

And I agree completely with McMark.
Gint
QUOTE(lapuwali @ May 28 2006, 04:43 PM) *

The phrase typed into the search box has to match exactly: "pilot fog lights" must appear exactly that way for it to be found. It won't match "pilot fogs" or "pilot lights" or even "pilots".

Using AND "pilot AND lights" will match any post that has the word "pilot" and the word "lights" in it anywhere in it, not just the phrase "pilot lights". Doing so gave me several pages of results, many of them relevant. It even found this very thread. biggrin.gif

This is different from, say, Google, which will automatically match plural works (pilot and pilots will match if you enter pilot), and it automatically "ANDs" words together. You have to explicitly say "pilot fog lights" in Google to match that exact phrase.

Unfortunately, unlike some sites, you can't point Google directly at 914world.com: 914world.com: pilot fog lights. This will give you only Classic threads (and probably not even all of those), not regular threads on the site. There's talk of fixing this on the site to Google can crawl the whole site, but it won't work right now.

agree.gif

Thanks James.

It is different than most search engnes, but it's really quite simple and works very well with a little effort.
McMark
I merged the two threads.

Admin Powers...ACTIVATE! :superherosmiley:
Dr Evil
biggrin.gif Playin tricks on me
Gint
QUOTE(McMark @ May 28 2006, 10:04 PM) *

I merged the two threads.

Admin Powers...ACTIVATE! :superherosmiley:

Hey! I didn't even think of that. I did it once, kinda cool. And certainly helpful in this instance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.