Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: coil mounting location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
tod914
On my 75, the coil mounts on the engine tin. On some cars I noticed, like on Dave Cheeks 76, the coil seems to be more foward mounted on the fan shroud.
How does it mount to that? I pressume its a different bracket that is used?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 28 2006, 03:14 PM) *

On my 75, the coil mounts on the engine tin. On some cars I noticed, like on Dave Cheeks 76, the coil seems to be more foward mounted on the fan shroud.

Wow, I haven't seen that!

Tod - any photos? Can't figure why you'd change the mounting position, though it could be my ignorance of the 76's.

Pat
sixerdon
Tod, my '75 (11/74) is also mounted on the tin like yours. The pictures of Dave's engine compartment show the threaded holes near the dizzy just below the canister.
I have other friends with '76's. I'll ask around.
The photo from the sales brochure show it mounted the way ours is.

Don

tod914
Don, our cars have the same birthday.. I wonder how far apart they are in production 4752906900. Daves location seems to be better. The accelorator rubs on my coil on occassion. So you it's actually mounted on the tin and not the fan schroud ?
sixerdon
Mine is #5443. Yes, mounted on the shroud like in the brochure picture. My throttle cable is a good inch to the rear away from the coil. Not an issue. Can't take pictures now, but it's clean and original.

Don
RustyWa
My '75 had it mounted on the shroud.
914runnow
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 28 2006, 03:14 PM) *

Yep> there were two different brackets for the coils..I have both will attempt in taking a pic or two,,,,,,75 and 76 were one bolt on the tin and one bolted into the fan shroud....your early 75 might have still had the older tin..on psngr side..
In the 914 parts manual..They show that driver side was always the same..
1.7-1.8-2.0..Naturally differed...Although 1.7 1.8 #s match..
Re the main tin...But the psngr side was different...due to that hole location,
on the main tin...
Cant tell you how many pieces of the older tin I have gone thru..
And the top hole is torn out from vibration and the weight of the coil....
Years ago in 95 when I was in my 914 diapers (year Two)..I ordered one from
George, and low and behold, not even close for my 73 2.0......
So after 30 or so strange 914 parts from Georges "LosT 914 parts Warehouse'
and parts from other dealers..
It was time to 'Microfiche'......Boy did I get potty trained real fast..
tod914
Anxious to see the what the bracket looks likes. Regarding the decel valve, does that get mounted with the mps? I just cleaned up mine with a ps21 metal polish. Turned out nice, got all of the old oxidation of it.

thanks
sixerdon
Yes indeed, my friends '76 engine has the coil mounted on the fan shroud. So a change took place sometime in '75 at whatever engine number. I can't get a picture of my friends engine for at least two weeks. Maybe someone else who has a '76 can post one.

Don
Porsche Rescue
Wonder if the change has anything to do with the 2.0 type IV being used in the 912E? And with different FI?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.