Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny rebuilds on the cheap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
For those of you that are good at following instructions I have a deal for you. I will show/tell you how to take the gear stack out of your tranny and you can then ship it to me for a full rebuild/assesment for less money. Gear stacks are smaller, easier to ship and all that anyone would really need me to work on. You would also get all of the support to do what needs to be done on your end.

I figure this way I can get more of you to get your trannies right and I can make it cheaper and easier for everyone.

Let me know what you all think. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Sounds good to me!

but what about lsd's and such? no difference?
Andyrew
ps, wouldnt shipping bend the shaft or such?

Andrew
Dr Evil
Shipping should not bend the shaft if you package it well. The main idea is that FedEx will ship something about the size of the stack for nothing. I shipped whole seat sets across country for $35 in a BIG box. Also, I shipped a muffler and a bunch of odd and heavy parts to TX for nothing in a big box.

LSD installation would require the presence of the whole tranny as you would need to make sure the pinion is interfaced correctly with the new ring gear of the LSD. I could do the stack for an LSD, but installing the LSD would bring us back to having to ship the whole tranny.

You can ship a whole tranny with FedEx in a fortified box for less than other places. I can check into it for anyone interested in shipping me their tranny/stack.
newto914s
That sounds like a great deal clap56.gif
My tranny only grind into 1st when moving, so I shouldn't be needing to pull the whole think out to fix it. But if it did require a full rebuild. I would definatly go this route. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet you at the Pit jsharp.gif in a couple weeks.
Samson
Andyrew
And if the trani already has LSD.. then no worries..

correct?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 28 2006, 05:40 PM) *

And if the trani already has LSD.. then no worries..

correct?

as long as you put same shims in, and same gaskets... then yeah
Andyrew
ah..

well i might as well ship the whole thing to him..

dont want to screw things up on this small of a tolerance level...

blitZ
Good idea, how much does this save on a stack rebuild. I realize it will vary depending on the parts required. Can you state some estimates?

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 28 2006, 05:46 PM) *

ah..

well i might as well ship the whole thing to him..

dont want to screw things up on this small of a tolerance level...

if you send him the stack... all you need to do is Mic the int plate gaskets, and put the same amount back in.... NOT hard....

and you arent going to be putting in new diff carrier bearings... so those shims wont change....

measure your int plate gaskets, and put same thickness in..... huh.gif

i assume this is a 901.... cuz this may be 901 specific advice LOL
elwood-914
I think this is a great idea. Anything to save a little cash..........you know how cheap 914 owners are. happy11.gif
Dr Evil
I can do 915 and others, but 901 is what Aaron is answering and what is the majority of what I do.

Thanks for answering the questions Aaron. His advise is correct and an LSD equipped tranny that is already set up only needs the end user to check gaskets and replace wiht same.

I am looking at $350 in labor for a full tare down, clean, and reassemble with pics of your tranny's internals if a full rebuild with case. For parts, I have many good dog teeth sets, synchro bands, and a few sliders that are much cheaper than new. Also, I can get new for less than anywhere else I have seen on some parts. 1st is always a problem as the parts are pricey and usually need replacing, but I can get these for less.
Aaron Cox
no prob mike....

nick mironov
I may be interested in a rebuild.

I have V8 conversion, so I am not using first gear. I am having a problem with second gear (my first gear). Sometimes, not always, it won't go into gear after the car has stopped. It always goes into gear on the fly. The clutch/cable are adjusted correctly and the whole shifter rod system is re-bushed. Shifting is precise, but sometimes it will just not go into gear.

Is it possible that the dog teeth and/or slider tips are worn flat and can't get past each other to mate?

Can you also change 5th to the H-gear?
jhadler
Sounds great! Can you give us idea of weight so we can figure shipping? I've never weighed a gear stack by itself.

-Josh2
robs kickass 914
this is somewhat related i'm looking to replace input shaft seal and shift rod seal but i'll need part # or can you pick up anywhere please help thanks
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(robs kickass 914 @ May 28 2006, 08:58 PM) *

this is somewhat related i'm looking to replace input shaft seal and shift rod seal but i'll need part # or can you pick up anywhere please help thanks

rob, usually ive only see them in kits.
i havethe porsche parts program cd, if no one has the part number handy....

to buy them singly, try gprparts.com, or pelicanparts.com....

they may sell em as not part of a kit.

AA
robs kickass 914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 28 2006, 09:18 PM) *

QUOTE(robs kickass 914 @ May 28 2006, 08:58 PM) *

rob, usually ive only see them in kits.
i havethe porsche parts program cd, if no one has the part number handy....

to buy them singly, try gprparts.com, or pelicanparts.com....

they may sell em as not part of a kit.

AA

thanks im just starting this mess
Dr Evil
Rob, you can get those seals anywhere with no problem. Try GPR parts, or Pelican.

Nick, PM me and we can talk. You provide the parts, I can build the tranny.

As for shipping:

Stack dimentions are 26"x12"x10" and I estimate the weight to be between 40-50lbs.

From CA to my house estimated from FedEx is $38.00-$45.00 (40-50lb rates).

My zip is 17078 and is a residence.
Andyrew
Dr.

Any possibility of obtaining a 915 2nd gear syncro? I was told from PO that it is bad... but that the trani was drivable.

Aaron, thanks.. my trani being rebuilt will be a 915 w/ LSD from Mike P.

Andrew
JPB
Sup DE? You and I will have to get together for trany shop. I want to get it looked over before any HP modification. Drive shaft seals blown and 1ST is tricky. Hang tight and we will operate!
Dr Evil
If you guys have parts requests just PM me and I will see what I can do.

Andy,
You know that the gears in the 915 require different tools to change, right? Just FYI. PM me so I don't forget.
ChrisFoley
Hey Doc,
Are you coming up through CT soon? I heard a rumor to the effect.
I have a customer's box that needs a top notch rebuild with upgrades.
I was going to have Musante Motorsports do it but if we can hook up I'd rather see a fellow club member get the work.
iiibdsiil
I'll be getting in touch with you soon, this is exactly what I need.
Dr Evil
Chris, I would like to come up but it is a bit far for a day trip. I do have friends in CT and in MA to visit so I could try to make a go of it. If a tranny is involved then it would be worth the gas and expence. PM me and we can work something out. And thanks a bunch for keeping me in mind biggrin.gif

Brett, great! But don't wait too long as I am only gonan be able to do so many trannies and I am only doing them until about hte first week in Aug.....then it is back to the scholastic salt mines sad.gif
Andyrew
Dr. I have NO clue about the 915 trani..

When can I ship it to you? I'd prefer some time next month.. and I'd like to get it done sometime this year.. really not in a hurry... but im sure finding parts might take time.
Dr Evil
Andy,
You can ship it to me when ever you like and I will make it all right for you. No worries, man. (especially if you are not in a hurry wink.gif )

PM me and we can work out the details.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.