Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas milage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jporsche914
When i first bought my 72 1.7L 3 years ago it got about 15mpg. After putting an intake, 2.0L heat exchanger, triad west exhaust, and jacobs wires it is now getting about 19 around town and 26 on the highway. I fiqured that a fuel injected 80 hp car would get better gas milage even being old technology. My question to you guys is what kind of gas milage should i be getting?What should i do about making the gas milage better?
Thanks
James
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jporsche914 @ May 28 2006, 05:03 PM) *

When i first bought my 72 1.7L 3 years ago it got about 15mpg. After putting an intake, 2.0L heat exchanger, triad west exhaust, and jacobs wires it is now getting about 19 around town and 26 on the highway. I fiqured that a fuel injected 80 hp car would get better gas milage even being old technology. My question to you guys is what kind of gas milage should i be getting?What should i do about making the gas milage better?
Thanks
James

Well, the last time I took my 72 on a long ride (Cincinnati to New Orleans), I averaged 36 mpg. Sound like you have a problem. Have you checked your vacuum lines? Are they hooked up properly? Could be timing, valve adjustment... an number of things - but it should do better than that! Opine, all gurus of techno-tune.
Dr Evil
What elevation do you live at?
elwood-914
Wow, I was getting over 30MPG. But if I put my foot into it, I got around 28 to 29 MPG.
Is your car running rich? 15 MPG means something is up.
srb7f
Don't know exactly what I'm supposed to be getting, but I just recently got about 30 mpg out of my stock 2.0 on the highway. I have 195/60/15 tires without a re-calibrated speedo so it's a bit of an overshoot but it's gotta be in the neighborhood of 25-30. I think I did a bit better with the 1.8 engine I used to have, but I never really calculated it out.
jporsche914
I live in colorado springs at 5500 feet. Timing is at 27 degrees and it getting about time for a valve adjustment but it not to loud. It seems to run good it does have a high idle problem which i have not been able to figure out could that cause this problem?
Allan
"75 w/D-Jet w/elgin cam and euro pistons was getting right at 30 mpg around town if I drove it like I owned it.

26 - 28 if I dove it like I sole it.

Pretty good for a 25 year old car.

Lets see some of the 2007's beat that... bootyshake.gif
Joe Ricard
my early 1.7L would get 32 MPG rolling 80 ish
my hopped up 2.0L has gotten 29 MPG @ 80 ish with carbs.
Brew
High idle could be a vacuum leak, and that could be the contibuting factor.
Aaron Cox
what size tires.....
jporsche914
does any one have a vacuum diagram just so i can see if i am missing any? I have 205/40/17
smooth_eddy
Pelican site has a good diagram. I will see if I can find it.
smooth_eddy
Here it is....... http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...4_20FI_diag.htm
JoeSharp
Chump SUCKERS: Linda's car has gotten 49.16 and can do much better. Last weekend we had the car up to Lone Pine and on the way back Linda got 40.05 MPG up and down hills. She has gotten over 50. I changed the dist and the timing for this trip and I think it can be improved.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Hammy
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ May 28 2006, 09:24 PM) *

Chump SUCKERS: Linda's car has gotten 49.16 and can do much better. Last weekend we had the car up to Lone Pine and on the way back Linda got 40.05 MPG up and down hills. She has gotten over 50. I changed the dist and the timing for this trip and I think it can be improved.

hijacked.gif
what dizzy?
Brando
Before I reduced my tire size, I was getting about 32mpg highway and 28mpg street when my 1.8 was poorly tuned. When well tuned and tall tires, it's between 35 and 37 highway, 30-32 street (mostly 5th).

Now with a well-tuned 1.8 and short tires, i don't care about mileage anymore... that's what the other car is for.
JoeSharp
Zack: I changed from a 009 timed at 27 to a 010 timed at 30. Linda gained in the bottom and got more driveabilty but I think we lost a little on the gas mileage, I'm going to retard the timing to 28.
jporsche914
Every once and a while when it is warm it will backfire and when it is cold it backfires alot. It happens when i am starting off it boggs down then starts to accelerate and then it backfires. Is this a rich problem how do i fix this?
Mueller
your heavy wheel/tire combo is going to make the gas milage suffer a tad bit over a stock 15" Fuchs or Mahle combo....

what do you mean you installed an "intake"???
Cap'n Krusty
I used to get 40-41 regularily in a bone stock 71. The Cap'n
TROJANMAN
I get just about 28-30 mpg gallon, 35+ if i am eating beans........chairfall.gif
TravisNeff
Your high idle and backfires are telling me you have vacuum leaks, replace your hoses, and probably your intake manifold gaskets. Could be an exhaust leak as well. Any vacuum leaks and the engine will want to run rich.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.