Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: assembly line photos
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
I would really like to find some factory assembly line photos of the 914... I searched the club and google, and only came up with a few. Anybody have new ones?? the most interesting ones to me were the two with the 914 being assembled on the cellet bench. here are the pics I found. Please add yours if you have any. locust.gif
rickyhgarcia
Most interesting is the brown car....that´s a 916....
grasshopper
yup, found that while surfing google. A guy took a tour of the factory, and saw it and didn't think it was anything special until after he returned back to the states.
JeffBowlsby
Please post larger pics of the ones above if you have them barry...biggrin.gif
grasshopper
sorry, the first three were the largest I could get them. The first pic of the GT on the assembly line couldn't find the link when I clicked the pic, so the mini pic on google was the largest I could get..the two of the 916 were just that big...on a website... I'll see if I can email the guy and get larger photos.
JeffBowlsby
I have a couple more on my website under 'Vintage 914 Photos'
grasshopper
here is the link to the 916 photos, I couldn't find anyone to email...maybe someone else can... sad.gif 916
grasshopper
cool, thanks for the linky Jeff. New assembly line photos. Anyone have any showing the actually body panels going together??
davep
Porsche Factory - Day 1, '72 MY Production

Photographed in August, 1971

These images were a result of a letter requesting a tour of the factory during a trip in the summer of 1971, a year before the infamous Munich Olympics. This is the Porsche manufacturing plant at Zuffenhausen, a suburb of Stuttgart. According to sources on that day, it was the first day of production for the 1972 model year. At some point in time thereafter, the factory disallowed photography inside the assembly plants. Thus, these are rare historical images of early 911s in various stages of manufacture.

All images (25) are available on 8x10 photographic paper (see sample image below, "19.jpg").

Individual photos are $24.95 + shipping and handling
Save when you purchase a group of 5 photos for $99.95 + shipping and handling.

Contact me for ordering details. slee632@yahoo.com
All images ©2002-2003 Sherwood Lee
McMark
Andy and I were talking this weekend about the underbody "doughnuts" that are commonly thought to be jacking points. Andy's floor was dimpled up which he though was more accident/bent tube damage. I shared my experience that jacking the car by the front points causes this "damage"/issue. The reason is that the front doughnut is absolutely and completely not connected to the long in any fashion. It's actually about 3/4" away from the long, so using that jack point is essentially just jacking the car by the floor pan (bad idea). Andy postulated that the doughnuts were used for maneuvering the chassis during assembly. And the point.... looking at these pictures convinces me even more that those points are not suitable for jacking up the car and were only meant to be a secure way to hold the chassis and maneuver it during assembly. Nice thinking Andy!
grasshopper
El Bumpo icon_bump.gif
URY914
In that big wide angle shot, you can see a guy installing the rust in the longs.... cool_shades.gif
grasshopper
lol, I wonder why they installed more on some cars than others??? maybe that was a secret dealer option...
TimT
In that big wide angle shot, you can see a guy installing the rust in the longs..

av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.