Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great find!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
On one of the other non 914 forums that I visit, one of the guys wifes innocently discovered some great stuff! She was cleaning the kitchen and sprayed this stuff on the vent hood of the stove. The phone rang, she left it on and walked away, came back a few minutes later and it had eaten the paint off the hood. It's Dawn Power Dissolver!

One of the guys on the other forum tested it and it did remove paint, he wrapped it in plastic and left it on over night and it ate thru a couple of layers of paint, it did require some scrapping, but how cool is that. I just sprayed down an 1.8 motor I had, the motor was filthy, thick with oil, I let it sit for 15-20 minutes and rinsed it off, it was amazing! The block looked great, I did not even scrub it. I bought it a wal-mart for $2.06 for a 12.8 oz bottle, the best part is it is really thick, almost a gel, it stays where you spray it. I put it on the side of the motor and not one drop fell on the pavement. It is biodegradable alkalinr based product. I have used a bunch of cleaners and have never had one work this well, this fast, I'm going to buy more and clean the bottom of the motor.
race914
Thanks for the info. Gonna give it a try!
grasshopper
wow, that sounds awsome! and cheap too. I'm going to pick up a couple bottles today.
Borderline
Just what I've been looking for!!

Thanks! clap56.gif clap56.gif
Allan
QUOTE(1bad914 @ May 29 2006, 06:13 AM) *

I bought it a wal-mart for $2.06 for a 12.8 oz bottle,

What's a wal-mart?
Aaron Cox
do they sell it by the gallon or the drum?
scotty b
I would STRONGLY advise you to find out what is in this stuff and what will neutralize it before you use it, or you WILL find yourself in a very uncomfortable position 6 months after you paint the car !!!!
boxstr
Wal mart, Thats where they sell stuff for walls.
CCLINBIMART
echocanyons
the main ingrediants are MEA (essentially ethanol) and sodium hydroxide
so it is an alkaline based product

1bad914
At least I did not make it plural, Walmarts! It worked well for the motor, not sure about metal, but if alkaline based it should be neutalized with water.
TimT
I used the wrong cleaning product on the vent hood in my kitchen....

I need to either repaint, oor get a new vent hood headbang.gif

Citrus cleaner removes paint also av-943.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 29 2006, 08:27 AM) *

What's a wal-mart?

Out here it is where all the illegal's work, all of them.
bd1308
Your's truly works for the local Wal-Mart in Louisville,KY...

b
Hammy
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 29 2006, 04:56 PM) *

What's a wal-mart?

And shop smoke.gif
Dave_Darling
Strong alkaline. Kinda like Easy-Off? You know--the stuff you spray on your wheels to take the anodizing off? Which you don't want to leave on there for too long because it will eventually eat up the aluminum?

--DD
1bad914
Not sure, but I think Easy off is a little more caustic then this stuff, I don't think that easy off is biodegradable.

This is what my motor looks like now, after one treatment. You could not see any aluminum it was really thick with oil. The pic from the front shows the difference, I ran out before I could spray the left side very well. I'll give it another go today, including the bottom. I did not scrub this at all, I just rinsed it off with the hose with a sprayer attachment. I'm sold! Nay sayers can bite my clean engine! biggrin.gif
bd1308
did it attack your cylinder heads?

they look corroded.

b
tod914
seems to have oxidized the metal. you have to be carefull with what you use.
1bad914
Most cylinders I've seen look like that. They always rust on the outside.

As far as oxidization goes, the pic makes it look funky, it is actually clean, just a little dries up residue that comes right off.
orange914
QUOTE(Hammy @ May 29 2006, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 29 2006, 04:56 PM) *

What's a wal-mart?

And shop smoke.gif

and steal
orange914
same here

QUOTE(race914 @ May 29 2006, 06:22 AM) *

Thanks for the info. Gonna give it a try!

JPB
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 29 2006, 11:27 AM) *

What's a wal-mart?

It's actually Walley-World because thats where Walter sells all his foreign products to us dirt cheap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.