Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: couple quick oil sender ?'s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
('74 1.8 carbed so there's extra wires laying about)
my sender has 2 posts, one for a green wire (from the 12-pos plug in relay) and one red (i assume ?) for the idiot light.

the harness wires lost their tags, so i'm not sure which one the red wire connects to, but there's a red/black one i am pretty sure is the one. can someone pls confirm?

does it matter which post is used for which wire?

thank you, thank you.
paul
Aaron Cox
if you have a 2 post oil pressure sender....it is aftermarket

one is for a gauge, and the other is for a warning light.

green (w/ red?) should go to the post that is labeled WK (warning light)

G is for gauge)

also.. if the sender is on a relocation hose, it needs to have a ground strap on it... (some will not ground thru the hose)
lotus_65
thanks aaron. i would think that the red one connects to a wire in the tunnel then (i didn't buy my car with a pressure gauge installed... maybe the p.o. was going to, but didn't get around to it). i made a wanna-be 904 gauge so mebbe it'll hook up there!

the sender is mounted on a brass (?) extension and a 90 degree elbow, but i'm sure it was not grounded before. ground from one of the posts?
here's a pic
Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 29 2006, 11:01 AM) *

thanks aaron. i would think that the red one connects to a wire in the tunnel then (i didn't buy my car with a pressure gauge installed... maybe the p.o. was going to, but didn't get around to it). i made a wanna-be 904 gauge so mebbe it'll hook up there!

the sender is mounted on a brass (?) extension and a 90 degree elbow, but i'm sure it was not grounded before. ground from one of the posts?

please do not use a solid brass extension. go buy a 1/8 npt grease gun hose from flaps...

the solid one willact as a lever, may snap, may break the case etc.....

go flexible hose.

pics of my setup are in my blog.

and if you ground the post, the light wont work....

you need to ground the housing (it originaly gets grounded from the threads in the case.... so if you use a hose.... you will need a metal "strap" to ground it)
dinomium
the idiot lite wire is green with red stripe... Also for 14 bux at napa I got the auto meter kit.

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 29 2006, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 29 2006, 11:01 AM) *

please do not use a solid brass extension. go buy a 1/8 npt grease gun hose from flaps...

the solid one willact as a lever, may snap, may break the case etc.....

go flexible hose.

pics of my setup are in my blog.

and if you ground the post, the light wont work....

you need to ground the housing (it originaly gets grounded from the threads in the case.... so if you use a hose.... you will need a metal "strap" to ground it)

lotus_65
tx guys. got them both!
i assume i can ground to the block at the pins near there.
dinomium
should be fine, there sould be a few old ground points from the Fuel injrction...
lotus_65
yep, dun! that was e z.
swapped in the numerical gauge & i'll wire it up tomorrow.

at least i got something done today besides mowing the lawn!
fuch toy
Hopefully the gauge is correctly calibrated to the sender.

lotus_65
QUOTE(fuch toy @ May 29 2006, 10:09 PM) *

yea, but the dummy light will still work the same.

what pressure range should i be looking for?
dinomium
QUOTE(fuch toy @ May 29 2006, 09:09 PM) *

should have it maked on the side of the sender unit
might be be listed in BAR so 5.5 bar is about 80psi
lotus_65

at idle, the gauge showed about 50 lbs, and about 110 or so when revving. how does that sound?

... then it went wacko and is spiked at the top even when the car's off. dry.gif
lapuwali
Wrong sender for that gauge. Cold start pressure may hit 60psi. Hot cruise pressure is usually 40-ish psi. 10psi per 1000rpm is the rule of thumb.

There are basically two sender ranges: 80psi and 150psi. Sounds like you have a 150 gauge and an 80 sender, so 60psi looks like 100 on the gauge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.