Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7 hour trip up to Memphis area!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DerekKim
Hello everyone. Last Monday I embarked on my first journey completely alone with no friends or mother with or near by in another car. I drove from the MS gulf coast up to Collierville, TN with no 1st or reverse. Boy was it interesting. I had a wonderful time hanging out with friends and cruising the streets. Several strips of back country roads from Oxford, MS to Moscow, TN. No pics unless you want to see me holding a duck :-P. A very weird thing. As I was driving it kicked into reverse while I was trying to get it into 2nd and into 1st when I had stopped. It kicks in and out and occasionally I will shift into the 2nd or 5th position and it'll act like it is in neutral. Last night I read the transmission section of How to Modify and Restore your Porsche 914 by Patrick C. Paternie. The picture rocked and really cleared some things up. I have a 73 side shift so I will take a look at the bushings and what not. The other thing while I was reading is it said there is an inspection panel around the shifter? Would this be on the inside and also would I have to pull the carpet back? And if I have to pull the carpet back does this ask for a seat pull and all? Also to check the bushings just look and see if they are cracked/corroded? How many total are there. The one in the firewall. The one by the back ball joint on the tranny and where else? Also while I have it apart is there anything else I should check for? One more thing and that's it. While sitting in traffic I will have my foot what I am pretty sure is completely pushed down on the clutch and if I don't have my foot on the brake it will creep forward and if it's in reverse it will slowly creep backwards. Is this a clutch cable issue? Could it just be loose and needs to be tightened or does this call for a replacement? Any help is appreciated. If it sounds like I'm jumbling a bit it's because I have a lot of questions lol. I will try to better explain something if needed just let me know. I have a second car so ride or downtime is no problem and I'd like to learn how to work on my 914 so I'm stoked to start. And if you want to see a picture of me holding a duck let me know.

Derek
IronHillRestorations
You probably passed close by! I'm in Parsons, TN. My best guess is linkage adjustment.

The Paternie book is OK, but it's not a repair manual. You need to at least get a Haynes manual. It's not as good as the factory manuals, but it's not expensive either. There are instructions in the Haynes manual for linkage adjustments.

QUOTE(DerekKim @ May 29 2006, 11:30 AM) *

Hello everyone. Last Monday I embarked on my first journey completely alone with no friends or mother with or near by in another car. I drove from the MS gulf coast up to Collierville, TN with no 1st or reverse. Boy was it interesting. I had a wonderful time hanging out with friends and cruising the streets. Several strips of back country roads from Oxford, MS to Moscow, TN. No pics unless you want to see me holding a duck :-P. A very weird thing. As I was driving it kicked into reverse while I was trying to get it into 2nd and into 1st when I had stopped. It kicks in and out and occasionally I will shift into the 2nd or 5th position and it'll act like it is in neutral. Last night I read the transmission section of How to Modify and Restore your Porsche 914 by Patrick C. Paternie. The picture rocked and really cleared some things up. I have a 73 side shift so I will take a look at the bushings and what not. The other thing while I was reading is it said there is an inspection panel around the shifter? Would this be on the inside and also would I have to pull the carpet back? And if I have to pull the carpet back does this ask for a seat pull and all? Also to check the bushings just look and see if they are cracked/corroded? How many total are there. The one in the firewall. The one by the back ball joint on the tranny and where else? Also while I have it apart is there anything else I should check for? One more thing and that's it. While sitting in traffic I will have my foot what I am pretty sure is completely pushed down on the clutch and if I don't have my foot on the brake it will creep forward and if it's in reverse it will slowly creep backwards. Is this a clutch cable issue? Could it just be loose and needs to be tightened or does this call for a replacement? Any help is appreciated. If it sounds like I'm jumbling a bit it's because I have a lot of questions lol. I will try to better explain something if needed just let me know. I have a second car so ride or downtime is no problem and I'd like to learn how to work on my 914 so I'm stoked to start. And if you want to see a picture of me holding a duck let me know.

Derek

DerekKim
I kept thinking I should post up to let everyone know I was headed up. I will next time. I have a haynes manual also... well two of them. I'll look into that tonight.

Thanks
Dave_Darling
Also check the Tech Articles section of the Pelican Parts site. There's a pretty good article called "shifter improvements" that discusses the linkage and areas that can be problemmatical.

--DD
So.Cal.914
Your car creeping forward and back can be caused by a cable going bad but it is

a sure sign that your clutch is out of adjustment, it will be in your manual. When

your shifting into 2nd or 5th and it acts like it is in "N" , it probably is. There is an

inspection plate at the rear of the tunnel. You do need to pull up the center piece

of carpet and no you don't need to remove your seats but it would make it

easer to work. Might as well lube the seat rails and lifts while you are in there.

Only two bushings I can think of on a side shifter. And I would replace the

bushings to eliminate that possibility being the problem, plus it sure makes the

linkage feel good. Have fun.
smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.