Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seafoam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jarbuthnot
My mechanic suggested I put this in the gas and a little in the oil for winter. I won't be driving the car much, just enough to keep the battery going and the tires from doing whatever they do. Supposedly Seaform will keep moisture from collecting. What is the collective opinion on it? It's an all petroleum product.
ChrisReale
Never heard of it.....but there are alot of things I never heard of. Somebody else have any idea's on how to store your car over the winter?
ejm
Seafoam seems to do everything except cure acne and prevent premature balding.

Before winter I usually change the oil, fill the fuel tank and over inflate the tires. I'll take a drive once a month if the weather cooperates, otherwise just let it run for a bit and move it a foot or two so the tires don't sit in the same spot. Biggest winter storage damage is likely to come from rodents. Use plenty of poison bait or traps, a cat works too if you don't mind scratches in the paint. ar15.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Mine goes in storage every Nov. 1st.
1. Fill gas tank add correct amount of fuel stabilizer
2. Hook up battery maintainer
3. Plug in electric heater, set at 55 degrees
4. Take weight off the tires, so they don't flat spot
5. Every week I try to go out and run it for 20min.
6. lots of poison for the little critters,altho the place I use is very tightly built, Can't spell this , stuff that absorbs moisture.
So far this system has worked very well
Dave smilie_flagge6.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(ejm @ Sep 27 2003, 06:07 PM)
Seafoam seems to do everything except cure acne and prevent premature balding.

sounds just like the Marvel Mystery Oil label ...

"it couldn't hoit" except i don't think i'd trust it to stabilise fuel any better than Sta-Bil -- or do anything for the motor oil that Mobil-1 doesn't already do just fine...

probably wouldn't be a bad thing to keep a little upper-cylinder oil fed in through the intake ports - if they're easy to get to (they are on carbureted and MFI cars...). lacking that maybe a bit through the spark plug holes. i have seen "spark plug inserts" that emit a "vapor phase corrosion inhibitor" but haven't used them, can't comment on their effectiveness. this is the first year i'll have to deal with 'storing' a runner over the winter - i think it'll be on jackstands from the first saltfall until i'm done with the suspension refit - better be done in time for the RennSport Reunion in April !

i have used MMO through the spark plug holes in a vertical (water VW) engine while it was stored 5+ years outside, and it restarted just fine...
rhodyguy
with heavy moisture you can use a product called dry-z-air. boat centers sell them. it wicks the moisture out of the air and it collects in a little basin (you have to empty it on occasion). real good to help keep the musty smell out of the interior. if you are so inclined put one in both trunks too. leave the windows down a wee bit if you're storing in a garage and get an indoor car cover.

kevin

kevin
mharrison
There has long been a topic on my Yamaha XJ motorcycle group's Forum about Seafoam. Everyone has had good results with this even on a seemingly well running bike. It is really good as an additive for cleaning the carbs and all the members on the board swear by using it in a full tank for the off-season. Almost all have seen an improvement in throttle response after using it.

The most listed question on this is "Where can I get some?" So, I would say that your mechanic made a good suggestion.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mharrison @ Sep 28 2003, 08:11 AM)
...Everyone has had good results with this even on a seemingly well running bike. ...

what has your personal experience been with the product ?

i thought this was interesting, from the product product Material Safety Data Sheet:

" Motor Treatment and Trans Tune
Sea Foam Formula: Proprietary Blend Date Prepared: 4-1-2002
Emergency #: (800)535-5053 MFG. Code ID: 34066
============================================================
SECTION II-A HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO. COMPONENT EPC# % BY WT.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 PALE OIL 4229 40-60%
2 NAPHTHA 20 25-35%
3 IPA 125 10-20% "

"Pale Oil" i think is basically kerosene (what the Brits call 'paraffin') or mineral spirits.
i donno what 'IPA' is - i only know it as "India Pale Ale" beer.gif

with a ~ 30% naptha content it's easy to see how it's effective; this is a major component of the more worthwhile fuel system cleaners like Techron and BG-44K.

the MMO MSDS is essentially identical.
mharrison
I ran it through my bike which I knew needed a carb rebuild and so far I've put the rebuild off for 2 years. I've added it to the last tank of the season and run a little through, then in the spring, I've never had any trouble.

It has four carbs which probably haven't been rebuilt since they were built. And I have to admit, I don't know anything about Hitachi carbs.

As of yet, it hasn't made it into the teener, but I have a good reason....
the engine is on a palllet in the garage!
jarbuthnot
Sounds like I should have my mechanic put some in. Appreciate all the winter storage advice. It's pretty much what I had planned, except didn't think about rodents, which we do have a problem with. They have nested in the air filter of my winter car mad.gif Supposedly mothballs take care of them.

Thank you all - you are a great bunch of people!!
BenNC
IPA is isopropyl alcohol

Probably a little higher grade that the mostly water stuff we have in our bathrooms.

It is miscible with water and with oil based solvents like gasoline.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.