Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well, here's one for you
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
No BS! We were on a step slope and trying to back up. I stalled the car and it rolled forward still in reverse with the clutch engaged and it lit. There was a small pop it ran like crap and I tried to back up again and the car went forward. I WAS IN REVERSE. Gerry looked out back and said "Shut it off it's smoking" I shut it down and A wisp of smoke was coming out of the snorkel.

We went and got lunch while I thought how can we get home from Lake Shasta. While we were eating I started thinking about it and I realized with my ignition firing once each revolution (wasted spark) and a charge in the cylinder it could happen. And my fuel injection has half of the charge in the intake manifold on the exhaust stroke. I thought maybe it will be fine. Damn if it didn't start. That was 150 miles behind us.

thumb3d.gif

Dave
blitZ
Anything's possible, old diesels can certainly run backwards. I use to drive a truck and a buddy backed into a dock to hard and the engine started running backwards. It still ran smoothly. He didn't notice until trying to go forward the truck was still pushing against the dock. The truck had an old Detroit 6-71 deisel.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(blitZ @ May 29 2006, 06:11 PM) *

Anything's possible, old diesels can certainly run backwards. I use to drive a truck and a buddy backed into a dock to hard and the engine started running backwards. It still ran smoothly. He didn't notice until trying to go forward the truck was still pushing against the dock. The truck had an old Detroit 6-71 deisel.

i was at a 50's machinery fair....

watching the diesel tractors start was hilarious! huge flywheels and whaty not...

thus guy just got it running... it backfired... and started running backwards LOL
DNHunt
It still amazes me.

Dave
dinomium
that is just plain wacky
Dr. Roger
don't forget 2 stroke golf carts. for reverse you turn off the engine and start the engine with the starter running in reverse. =-)

ain't they great?!
jsteele22

Cheap way to use a 930 tranny ? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
maxwelj
Used to happen once in a while to our old Army multi-fuels. We would try to pull them to start them and they would kick backward and then start exhausting out of the breather. It would knock the rear main seal out every time, necessitating a trip to brigade maintenance for replacement. I would wonder about something like that on the teener engine as well, with things rotating opposite the way they are supposed to.
Jake Raby
I have done it before as well...

BTW- It sure was nice meeting Dave and gerry at BOR in Sacramento! Thanks again for the place to crash!
DNHunt
It would knock the rear main seal out every time, necessitating a trip to brigade maintenance for replacement.

Not leaking a drop. Burns a little though.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.