Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A milestone day!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
Finally laid down the new paint today. I've been bustin' butt trying to get my car ready for final paint this weekend and I made it by the skin of my teeth!

I started with a pretty decent tub but it needed a few rust repairs to firewall, engine tray, jack posts and sail panels. Lots o' welding, lots o' grinding, lots o' sanding.........then finally the damn paint. I hand block sanded the entire car until perfect. No power sander used except for removal of the targa texture and then it was hand block sanded.

I'm not a paint and body guy, so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out for a some dumbasss spraying in a dusty garage.

Here's pics:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
East coaster
couple more:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jonwatts
That rocks! Looks great in the pictures.

What paint did you use?

ptravnic
Damn Fine Work! Kudos!!

beerchug.gif
East coaster
Here's the targa top painted and a shot of all the various body parts scattered about for paint.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Jeroen
oh yeah!!!
clap56.gif
East coaster
Here's a artsy pic

Click to view attachment

Here's my mazda mirrors and other various small parts a hangin'

Click to view attachment
GTeener
Purdy! beerchug.gif
96conv
WOW!!!
East coaster
I used all Glasurit product (metal etch/primer/GT silver base/clear) and it's nice stuff. Paint is damned expensive these days though! I think I have about $1500 to $1700 just in materials alone.

I can't tell you how glad I am to have this part of the project completed. I hate body and paint work headbang.gif

Here's a good shot of how true the surfaces are, it's hard to tell where the door ends and ladder begins:

Click to view attachment
East coaster
Its humble beginings over two years ago:

Click to view attachment
pete-stevers
WOW i am impressed......
did you get any imperfections?
how do you keep your lines dry?
that looks GREAT!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
SGB
exceptionally nice! Hard work always shows.
East coaster
I'd love to say it went down without any imperfections, but I did get a sag near the sail panel that'll have to be wet sanded out and a run on one of the mirrors. All the imperfections are in the clear though and can be wet sanded out once fully cured.

It's not an amature paint job unless you screw up something! mueba.gif

Well.........time for a cocktail and contemplation of the next step beer3.gif
East coaster
Oops.........Sorry, I missed your question. I used a classic old toilet paper filter cannister I borrowed from a friend of mine. Low tech but works great. Also borrowed his new $600 Saito (sp?) HVLP gun.
J P Stein
Damn fine job. clap56.gif
Andyrew
looks amazing!!

What kind of mirrors?
i love porsche
im speechless..that looks incredible!
roadster fan
I think I recognize those mirrors...........late model Mazda Miata mirrors? I am in the process of reworking the bases on a set for my teener. How about more pics of the bases, please, pretty please smile.gif

Your paint looks awesome! wub.gif
cbenitah
Love the color!! Maybe b/c my car is the same color.. biggrin.gif Wait until you see it in sunlight! You will be so proud of your car!!

Great Job BTW~!
Lou W
Very nice job. smiley_notworthy.gif
hars914
Great job JD. I will have to stop by and give it a look see.
joea9146
Great Job looks very nice... clap56.gif
URY914
Man that is sweet. I love a silver teener with GT flares. wub.gif
East coaster
Someone asked for pics of the mirror bases.

They had to be re-worked quite a bit to fit the 914 door shape. I just used a die grinder to shape the internal aluminum base and then used it to match the plastic base cover. It get s a gasket between the base and door that's not shown in the pic.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
East coaster
one more:

Click to view attachment
redshift
FANBA TASTIC!

smilie_pokal.gif

M!@
G e o r g e
clap56.gif clap56.gif that looks fantastic clap56.gif clap56.gif
guiltless
Holy crap. You have just inspired me. That is damn fine work. I would definately pay for work like that.
morph
nice paint job! looks great
james
roadster fan
thanks for the pics of the mirror bases. that is how i have been working mine also....just wanted to make sure it was gonna work. goin' slow so i dont make any catastrophic mistakes dry.gif

oh, and i said it before, your paint is awesome smiley_notworthy.gif
JPB
Slik lookni silver sled there bru. Now that will be a looker. Can't wait to see it finished. I love silver 914s and hoped to do one just like that with a metalic grey trim. Fantastic!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.