Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do certain brake pads squeak more than others?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
Brakes work well (BMW conversion up front) but seem to squeak once they're warmed up. Do certain brake pads squeak more than others?
Tobra
Yes they do, or they can anyway. Did you put the anti-squeak stuff on the back of the pads?
Matt Romanowski
Also, make sure you bed them correctly. This can make a huge difference.

Matt
Joe Ricard
Most high performance brakes will squeak when cold.
standard street pads when when something is wrong.
ptravnic
Oddly enough, mine don't squeak when cold, rather they squeek when they are hot.

sad.gif
Eric_Shea
Organic pads can squeak. Metallics generally don't. The stopping power of organic vs. metallic is quite different. Most of the time when people complain that their 914 brakes are bad it is because of metallic pads.

Beyond what is said here (anti squeak goop etc.) I would recommend you make certain your pins and springs are very clean.

It may simply be the nature of the beast... what pads are you using?
ptravnic
Wish I could remember what pads are on there - put them on last summer, I'll check the receipts.

I may just live w/the squeak, like I said - brakes work fine - just squeaky.
Allan
I had a problem with squeeky brakes on my /4. Drove me nuts and tried everything. Took them apart, cleaned them up, put in a bunch of anti-squeel grease and they would still squeek when they got hot.

I finally took the pads out and cleaned all the grease and used some high temp RTV.

No more squeeks...
Joe Ricard
Well sometimes the squeal is actually a high frequency vibration or rubbing of the pad backing plate against the piston face. Hence the high temp RTV fix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.