Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This weekend's A/X in Mt Dora.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
URY914
I ran a PCA event today. I was fourth overall. A Boxster with a four time SCCA National Champ driving, a 996 GT3 and a early 911 beat me. My group ran last in the hottest part of the day and I was sliding all over the place. This time the front end was sticking and the back end was loose. I'm still dialing in this thing. I was running 22 psi in all four tires. I may be running too much front bar also. The oil leak is back but it is not the v-cover gaskets, it seems to be a p-rod tube seal on the right side. I'm going to adjust the valves before the next event so I'll fix it then. I have another idea at the front on the engine that I need to look at too.

Now for the rant: This was a "multi event weekend" hosted by the Citrus Region of PCA. It is held in Mt. Dora FL, a little village type town with shops and a old hotel that is the main site. The typical PCA weekend get-a-way. I only attend the a/x as I can't drive my car in the rally and my car is not really concours prepped. We have a ten year old daughter and there nothing for her to do. The entire weekend is $2-$300. I go to register of the a/x and the entry fee is $50.00 fuching dollars!!! And the kicker is because I only am registering for the a/x and not the entire weekend I don't get classified with the other cars. This means no trophy if I win. I could get FTD and don't get anything. $50.00 for 4 runs with no stupid trophy? There were 6 guys that showed up for ONLY the a/x on Sunday and each of us were saying we won't be back. If you signed up for the entire weekend the a/x was included in the price. I spoke to a few of the people and they were saying the intent is to have you sign up for the entire weekend and each event of the weekend will be cheaper. So they may have made $300 from the six of us this year but they will make $0 from us next year. If they would charge $20-30 as most regions do for a typical a/x I'd be back. Instead of making a little money, they will be making no money next year. Who is the marketing wizard that put this plan together?

Rant #2: The average age of the people at the event had to be 55 or older. At this rate the PCA will be gone in 15 years.
carr914
In 15 years, young kids will ask themselves, Porsche?, hell no I don't want one of those ugly Cayennes. Have you looked at our local PCA website? What a joke, they update things maybe once a year. They waste too much time on paper, wine, and cheese. Did you know that the largest expense the region has for the year is the Christmas Gala Ball which the region basically pays those 80 people that attend. The cost per person is like $25 a head, while the actual dinner cost is $50 plus the rental for the Yacht Club and entertainment. The region loses more than $5k a year for 40 people and their spouses, who probably don't even care about Porsches. Lets see, we have 1,000 members in the region, lets throw a party for 40 of them and let everybody else pay for it.
URY914
I'm with you on the website. What's it take for someone to post pictures and down load the results from an a/x to the site?

Why can't the region and other regions in Florida put on a decent event. Someone said that during the Rally the instructions were wrong and everyone got lost. chairfall.gif

There must be 4000-5000 members of PCA in Florida and they can't put on a event worth going to. confused24.gif
Joe Ricard
Uh Paul..... 4th out of 6 drivers kinda sucks.
I joined PCA for one year and never attended one single event. Nothing worth while.

The gear heads for SCCA make a party out of anything. only need a cooler and a grill.

End of the year party was at someone's house and it over flowed out to the driveway the street, back yard, next door, etc. Then it got out of control.

So you were loose huh? and you changed your camber settings like you were told? did it affect toe? funky rear toe however slight will get these car loose like crazy.

I need to string my car with slicks just to make sure I didn't screw nuthin up last time I messed around.
URY914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 30 2006, 08:37 AM) *

Uh Paul..... 4th out of 6 drivers kinda sucks.

There were six drivers that signed up for the ONLY the a/x on Sunday. They were about 40 that were already signed up for the entire weekend INCLUDING the a/x. So I was 4th out of 56.

I've going to do a string alinement too to see where I am.
grantsfo
Do you really AX for the chance to win a trophy? smilie_pokal.gif ...$50 for 4 runs ...thats worse than SCCA
URY914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 30 2006, 08:53 AM) *

Do you really AX for the chance to win a trophy? smilie_pokal.gif ...$50 for 4 runs ...thats worse than SCCA

Not really but I'd like sumin' to show for it besides a sunburn for $50.
Joe Ricard
Shoot I'm thinking about driving ALL the way to Houston in my carfor a 2 day event. 8 official runs. Maybe I can find a cone out of place for a re-run.

Houston is like 8 hours from here at Haulin Ass speed.

Yea I got it bad. Last Autocross 7 weeks ago in my son's Focus. before that was in a Lightening. I wanna drive my car on slicks against some big fish. as I understand it Houston grows em big and FAST.
J P Stein
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 30 2006, 06:57 AM) *

Rant #2: The average age of the people at the event had to be 55 or older. At this rate the PCA will be gone in 15 years.

Lessee if I got this right. You showed up with a gun at a knife fight and 3 old farts whupped you?
This doesn't look good on your resume. poke.gif biggrin.gif
brant
I'm not going to put town PCA too bad..
but it varies so much from region to region.
out here all the track guys are into it, so its not a whine (wine) and cheese club really...

hey how about this paul.
how about you host a PCA event
make it what you want it to be
that way you can exclude the frumps.. and have it be oriented for the enthusiasts.

sounds like you still did very well

brant
Joe Ricard
Sounds like JP nailed it purdy good.
I dieing over here. Not to mention sweating my ass off.
URY914
QUOTE(brant @ May 30 2006, 08:02 PM) *

hey how about this paul.
how about you host a PCA event
make it what you want it to be
that way you can exclude the frumps.. and have it be oriented for the enthusiasts.

Actually I am hosting an upcoming a/x event. We're going to rotate the event chairman for each a/x event in my region. I'll design the course, run the drivers meeting and hand out the trophies. I'm also going to change the format for tech. The frumps don't show up for the go fast stuff.
URY914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 30 2006, 07:41 PM) *

Lessee if I got this right. You showed up with a gun at a knife fight and 3 old farts whupped you?
This doesn't look good on your resume. poke.gif biggrin.gif

As far as getting beat, I should have done better. As far as the three guys that beat me, they weren't the old farts. There was less than a second between me and the winner. I would consider the guy that won as a professional a/x driver, if there could be such a thing.
gregrobbins
Every PCA Region is different. I joined Arizona Region because they have an active autocross program AND an active Driver's Education program.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.