Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor and Trans Jack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
Since I know I will be re-installing my motor and trans several times during my V8 conversion, I thought I'd fabricate a dedicated jack for safe and easy remove/install. I made this from a $59 ATV jack from Kragen Auto; it has a wider stance than a standard floor jack. At its lowest, the motor will clear the body, and has enough lift to place the motor without lowering the car back down. I'm still going to add restraints to the area where the transaxle will nest. The front portion nests the motor mount bar.

Andys
TROJANMAN
very nice. i could have used that this weekend.
URY914
WOW and you even painted it.

How's it work?
jhadler
Wow! Very slick!

Can't wait to see a picture of it with a drivetrain on it.

-Josh2
Mueller
nice....I'd love to see one that lifted straight up instead..hmmm, I've got some extra leadscrews and some metal sitting around my garage blink.gif welder.gif
Qarl
How many inches of lift does one need again.

Saw a "Goodyear" motorcycle ATV jack at Sams Club today. 17" of lift.

Looked like it would be great for a motor drop.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Nice! I'd like to know how it works w/the drivetrain on it as well as see pictures.
andys
I don't know how well it works just yet. Hopefully next weekend I'll give it a test and post pic's. I believe it goes to 21".

HF has/had a MC lift on sale for $299, but in the sale catalog pic it looked like it didn't go quite flat enough. Mine is 4 1/2"

Andys
So.Cal.914
Clever idea.gif
Jeroen
nice!
I fabbed something similar, but yours looks much nicer excecuted
andys
Been longer than expected, but here are the pic's of the motor/trans jack with the motor in place. It is surprisingly stable at it's highest point. Also makes it nice as an engine stand while working on the motor.

Andys

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment[
Mr.C
Nice!
I wonder how hard it would be to make a jack that lifts the whole car. Something you could leave lifted and roll around instead of being on jackstands.
Brad Roberts
Looks good Andy!

Is that a 944Turbo tranny or a Audi box? I cant tell without seeing the other side of the tranny.

A BoxsterS 6 speed would bolt right up to your adapter also smile.gif

Intresting. Did I miss a thread (or 20) about your project?

B
andys
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 5 2006, 11:17 AM) *

Looks good Andy!

Is that a 944Turbo tranny or a Audi box? I cant tell without seeing the other side of the tranny.

A BoxsterS 6 speed would bolt right up to your adapter also smile.gif

Intresting. Did I miss a thread (or 20) about your project?

B

Brad,

That's an Audi 01E 6 speed. I haven't posted many pic's of my conversion, but it's basically an LS1 with a Audi/Getrag 01E 6 speed. Built my own adapter that retains the stock ring gear/starter, and uses a QuarterMaster 8 1/2" single disc clutch (good for ~400 ft-lbs).

Will the Boxster 6 speed bolt up? I was under the impression that the Boxster 6 speed is somewhat unique with that weird 12 o'clock starter location. Can't see how it would work on a V8.

(And) While we're talking Boxster, I've got a question for you. The 5 speed Boxster uses the Audi 012 trans, which has a starter pocket at roughly the 4:30 position (when looking at the flywheel) with the staarter pointing forward. How does this fit the Boxster? Would the starter not run into the right side cylinder bank?

Here's a pic of the left side.

Andys
Click to view attachment
Brad Roberts
I'll have to look at some pics I have.

The Boxster tranny has two provisions for a starter. One on the top and one in the 4:20 position. I had always thought a typical GM starter bolted to the block (old school style) would reach inside of the Boxster bellhousing. I *think* the older iron block engines had provisions on both sides for a starter.. could be wrong.

Your setup looks SLICK!! I love the new engines.. and the Audi boxes work VERY well.

Awesome idea on the Quarter Master clutch setup. Hope is does ok on the street for you. Do they have regular organic street discs for the multi disc setup now? I know Tilton released some last year for the triple disc 5.5 setup.

B
andys
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 5 2006, 12:25 PM) *

I'll have to look at some pics I have.

The Boxster tranny has two provisions for a starter. One on the top and one in the 4:20 position. I had always thought a typical GM starter bolted to the block (old school style) would reach inside of the Boxster bellhousing. I *think* the older iron block engines had provisions on both sides for a starter.. could be wrong.

Your setup looks SLICK!! I love the new engines.. and the Audi boxes work VERY well.

Awesome idea on the Quarter Master clutch setup. Hope is does ok on the street for you. Do they have regular organic street discs for the multi disc setup now? I know Tilton released some last year for the triple disc 5.5 setup.

B

Brad,

The LS1 crankcase is too wide, so the starter cannot fit the Audi trans starter pocket (or the Boxster??). That's why Kennedy makes no adapter for the Audi/LS1. An old school SBC will fit, AFAIK. Yes, the LS1 starter bolts to the block as well, though it does have a different bolt mounting pattern.

Andys
JPB
For 59$, thats a wholelota jack brother. Coulden't make it for twice the price. Everyone should get one and it is safe as hell also.

beer.gif Good eye mate.
Aaron Cox
so where does the starter go?
andys
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 5 2006, 09:54 PM) *

so where does the starter go?

Starter is in the stock LS1 location. I had to go to a mini starter, as the stock unit has a long snout with a pinion support bearing that otherwise interferes with the adapter plate.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.