Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, you live in a place where...........
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
Afternoon thunderstorms are a way of life.
Your 914 came with a top, but you like to drive the car without it.
But, do you carry your top with you at all times?
Or leave it at home and take the chance of getting caught in rainstorm?
Oh ya, and If you do get caught in a rainstorm, would you still risk it the next time out?

Just curious .......

happy11.gif
Aaron Cox
it never rains in so cal....

so i cant relate...

but the top ALWAYS loves in the rear trunk
blitZ
Yup, always carry the top. Summer in the southeast, storms can pop up anytime, especially in Florida.
So.Cal.914
We have enough problems with water, you don't want a leak that big.

smoke.gif
drewvw

summers are pretty rain free in new england, with the occasional noreaster or monsoon rolling into town.

that said...my teener lives in the garage and is only driven on nice days, but I always bring the targa top with me.

Gint
This all sounds like plain ole common sense to me. But whaddooIknow?!?!
Rrrockhound
I always take the top in case I have to leave the car someplace. In a 34 year old car, I never assume it'll be coming home under its own power.
Dave_Darling
I will answer the question by asking one of my own--wanna guess how I wound up with the nickname "Damp Dave" originally??? rolleyes.gif

--DD
Hammy
Out here in California I keep the top with me so it can block the sun wink.gif cool.gif
BigDBass
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 30 2006, 06:08 PM) *
wanna guess how I wound up with the nickname "Damp Dave" originally???
--DD
Bladder control issues? biggrin.gif
Spoke
Drove the 914 to work with chance of T-storms this PM. Didn't rain yet and I made it home. Always have the roof with me. I don't take the top off too much; the wind messes up my hair. biggrin.gif

I've gotten caught at work a couple of times with PM showers. So I just keep working until the rain quits. Our company has a parking garage so the 914 sits nice and dry and out of the sun on nice days.

Spoke
davep
Tops keep the mosquitoes at bay. Question: what is the difference between a bald eagle and a Canadian mosquito? The eagle has at least a few feathers.
Brew
This is Colorado. It can snow on you this time of year! Seriously!

Always take the top.
jimtab
Here too, we had 6-12 inches of snow at emigrant pass this past weekend...wtf....
Brando
I hear over 100MPH the air flow over the car is strong enough that only a few drops will fly into the cab...

And I always carry the top with. Never know what part of town you might park in.
Dave_Darling
Actually, unless the rain is really heavy, 35 MPH is enough to keep most of the rain out.

(Stoplights really suck, though!!)

--DD
Howard
Has anyone seen or inquired about a canvas top for a teener? Seems like a good way to get your trunk back.
Leo Imperial
The top stays in the trunk for rain when parked. When driving it's ok if your moving, 30 mph like Dave said.
As far as the places you park 2 things -
1. I don't leave anything I will miss in the car, including the old shiet radio.
2. It's just like in Clerks, when no one is at the counter they think they are being watched. I don't lock the doors and leave the top off all the time. If some jack is going to steal it I'm hoping he won't break the locks or glass.
zymurgist
Take the top with you. It fits in the rear trunk and it doesn't weigh a lot.

NPC: I drove my Corvette to the big Vette show at Carlisle 2 years ago and left my T-tops at home. (1+ hour drive) It was a bright sunny day, yet in the afternoon there was a 20 minute storm that soaked the showfield and everyone on it. I had to dry out my brand new carpet when I got home. Now I don't go anywhere in that car without the tops, unless I'm only going to be near the house.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.