Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can i turbo my 75 1.8L?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kheebl
i want a little more power out of my 1975 914 with 1.8L, what can i do to gain a little more power? i was thinking about adding a turbo, is it possible to fit one in the small engine bay? or is there a different mod that i could do to gain more power?

Kyle
Rand
Uh oh. Just don't listen when people say you can't turbo a 914. wink.gif Cuz I guarantee it's coming! laugh.gif (old joke around here)

Fitting it is the least of your worries.

Do you want to try and make it work with FI, or carbs? Cam changes in mind?

What kind of budget are you working with?

popcorn[1].gif
drgchapman
You can't turbo a 914.......................

Unless you have wads of dough.

Go with a 6. Makes more sense, more power, the car was designed for it.
kheebl
i would like to stick with FI, because my buddy has a turbo mustang thats carburated(sp) and he had a heck of a time tuning in the A/F ratio. budget isn't that much of a issue, as i will save up for it, and most of the kit i plan to make myself. where is a site to order performance parts for 914's from?

Kyle
kheebl
why cant i turbo a 914?

Kyle
So.Cal.914
You can't turbo a 914, you turbo the engine. And people have done it. But like the

Gentleman asked what do you want to spend? It won't be cheap, you might think

about a new powerplant. If you are a wrench, buiild yourself an engine, if not

maybe look into a case of Raby's. aircooledtecnology.com

smoke.gif

Rand
If budget is not an issue, then put some displacement to work for you. A six is nice. A 2316 is easier.
Rand
QUOTE(kheebl @ May 30 2006, 02:55 PM) *

why cant i turbo a 914?

Kyle

It's an old running joke around here. One of the old timers will be able to fill you in. It's been said, but it's been done.
kheebl
i am going to school to be a mechanic, so building a engine is not a problem, i just want to keep the car pretty stock, and see how much power i can pull out of this 1.8L

Kyle
Rand
Do you mean you want to build up the engine you have that happens to be a 1.8, or you actually want to keep the displacement at 1.8L? I wouldn't do the latter. But that's just me. I love to see what other people do.
drewvw

turbo'ed type IV power plants are pretty rare around here, and when you see what it takes to get it done....you'll probably just want to build a better powerplant.

I believe iamchappy has one and its pretty badass, but.....well you'll figure it out.

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(kheebl @ May 30 2006, 02:59 PM) *

i am going to school to be a mechanic, so building a engine is not a problem, i just want to keep the car pretty stock, and see how much power i can pull out of this 1.8L

Kyle

If you build it pray.gif power will come.
kheebl
i mean i wanna keep stock block. and also make it a sleeper. the more stock i can keep it looking under the hood the better!!!!

Kyle
Rand
QUOTE(kheebl @ May 30 2006, 02:54 PM) *

i would like to stick with FI

I don't think the stock FI system or cam would do well with a turbo.

Maybe you could upgrade to a programmable aftermarket setup such as Megasquirt.

drewvw

building a larger type IV or dropping in a six is going to be closer to stock than adding a turbo. Like these other guys have said....the car is designed to have the 4 or 6.

one of the best things about this club (besides the people) is the archives. Do some searches in there on power plants (example: there's a great thread by trekkor called 'shall i say SIX').

this is a perennial topic of discussion and there are many ways to go. Good luck and

welcome.png
Rand
QUOTE(kheebl @ May 30 2006, 03:07 PM) *

i mean i wanna keep stock block. and also make it a sleeper. the more stock i can keep it looking under the hood the better!!!!

Kyle

If looking like a stock 4 is what you want then don't turbo. Build a 2316. smile.gif
kheebl
if i should decide to do a 350 swap how difficult is it to do?

Kyle
kheebl
whats a 2316? i am new to this porsche stuff, i just wanna kill my buddies camaro and a few others because they all make fun of my porsche by saying its a VW and shit.
Mueller
QUOTE(kheebl @ May 30 2006, 02:59 PM) *

Kyle

you can make plenty of power, the real question is how long it'll last before it goes barf.gif

go to amazon.com and buy a few books on subject, I recommend Maximum Boost by Corky Bell...there is another book made for Type I turbo's...might be Turbomania???

also.....check out this site http://www.dune-buggy.com/turbo/turbo.htm

there is plenty of information already out there, just got to learn how to use google and the search button....

they way I look at it, if you have to ask if "you" can do it, then no, you cannot smile.gif

Rand
Here are a couple links worth exploring. Lots of good reading material:

RAT. 2316 is displacement. You mentioned budget is not a concern. Get one of Jake's 2316 kits, and build it yourself. You will fulfill your goal perfectly. Put over 180hp in the stock looking 914 and embarrass the camaro buds. Open the hood and show your "VW" motor.

To explore the v8 or Subaru world, check out: Renegade
Mueller
QUOTE(kheebl @ May 30 2006, 03:13 PM) *

whats a 2316? i am new to this porsche stuff, i just wanna kill my buddies camaro and a few others because they all make fun of my porsche by saying its a VW and shit.

can't handle the truth?? biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(kheebl @ May 30 2006, 03:07 PM) *

Kyle

QUOTE(kheebl @ May 30 2006, 03:11 PM) *

if i should decide to do a 350 swap how difficult is it to do?

Kyle

blink.gif
drewvw

you beat your buddy with the camaro in the turns...right now!

other thing to consider is suspension upgrades if you plan to boost the power as much as you are talking about.
kheebl
how much does a 2316 cost? and also what all is included, i tried looking it up but had no luck finding out anything about it.

Kyle
Rand
how much does a 2316 cost?

Depends on the "options." I thought you said budget wasn't a concern. laugh.gif (Juz kiddin ther. Welcome to the real world.)

If you wan't to do it up right, bring $10k. If that price scares you, tell us what your real budget is and we can help with other options.
Mueller
QUOTE(kheebl @ May 31 2006, 12:01 AM) *

how much does a 2316 cost? and also what all is included, i tried looking it up but had no luck finding out anything about it.

Kyle

don't quote me, but figure $4,000 min.,....you'll need to supply the exhuast and intake and ignition (stock FI won't cut it, you'll want an aftermarket EFI so tack on another $1000)
kheebl
ok what is included in the kit tho?

Kyle
boogerboy
i was in your place about a year ago, then i decided itd be eaiser to just run a subie engine. thats personally where im going.
andys
Rehashing old ground here......I had a '73 2.0 turbo back in about '74, and it ran just fine. What I learned about turbocharging after several different installs over the years, is keep the boost at a reasonable level. This avoids a lot of heat related issues, yet provides an adequate power boost without major engine component re-configuring. 5 or 6 psi, and squirt a little water in it. I really like that VW Rabbit CIS/turbo combination that someone here on the forum did. OTOH, if you're looking for big power, then you'll be throwing a lot of $$$ at the whole deal.

Andys
Mueller
QUOTE(kheebl @ May 31 2006, 12:41 AM) *

ok what is included in the kit tho?

Kyle

should be the heads, crank, rods, pistons and cylinders, cam and lifters and everything needed to put it together...you supply the bare block
G e o r g e
QUOTE(kheebl @ May 30 2006, 03:13 PM) *

here is the 914 page at the type 4 store, does not have pricing as jake is redoing the page, but if you go to the vw engine kit page you will get a pretty good idea of pricing. kits come with everything down to the case sealant and rebuild video. jake can even sell you an engine case if you need it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.