Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jd66921
Instead of doing a lot of fitting with big awkward parts, can you swap sides
with the seats? I'd like to do two things, move the adjusters to the outside of the
seat,and put the best seat on the driver's side. It all looks like they will swap
easily

I suppose I can change the rails, but it is easer to do the whole thing at once.

Also, there are wires coming out of the cushions. One is connected to a harness.
Is this the seatbelt interlock? This is a 1975. They did not have starter interlocks
in 75, did they?

Thanks,

Jeff
horizontally-opposed
Yes, I did just this and have been running it this way for too long. I would not recommend it. Here's three reasons why:

-The right seat does not have the relief to help you work the handbrake. This causes you (me) to bend it while setting it. Not good.

-The headrests are specific side to side and look funny through the back window -- though NO one seems to notice this until I point it out.

-A passenger seat on the driver's side (rails swapped) makes for a slightly tilted driver's seating position. Very, VERY subtle, but I noticed it after a while. Now it bugs me all the time.

I am going to go ahead and buy the Le Mans seats from GTS and be done with seats. I feel they offer superb value when you think about what they are and how much you'll spend to re-do your stock seats.

Just my (personal) two cents...

pete
Rand
QUOTE(jd66921 @ May 30 2006, 02:55 PM) *

Also, there are wires coming out of the cushions. One is connected to a harness.
Is this the seatbelt interlock? This is a 1975. They did not have starter interlocks
in 75, did they?

My '75 had the starter interrupt seatbelt relay junk. Long gone now.

The seats can definitely be swapped. And it's a five minute job, so easy to check out. I thought the biggest issue was just the release hoops being on the wrong side. But Pete raised several points I wasn't aware of. I've been thinking about putting the passenger seat (great condition) on the drivers side while it gets recovered.
lapuwali
The seat rails (and thus, the adjusters) can be swapped from seat to seat very easily.
jd66921
Thanks!

Y'all confirmed what my eyes told me, that he seat rails are
symetrical. I'll have to look at the subtle differences
tomorow!

Now it's cleanup time. They stick badly in the tracks, too much
grease I guess!

Jeff
jim_hoyland
Got a question: how do you identify passenger side from driver side when seats are out of the vehicle ?
Rand
The one with the most cracks and upholstry damage is the driver's side. tongue.gif

One way is by which side the adjuster loop is on. It goes on the inside... So if sitting in the seat and loop is on right then it's driver seat.
lapuwali
The driver's seat has a cutout near where your left thigh goes for the handbrake.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(lapuwali @ May 30 2006, 06:43 PM) *

The driver's seat has a cutout near where your left thigh goes for the handbrake.

Thanks; Are the Le Mans seats specially formed to clear the e-brake too ?
GTS
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentHi All,
The LeMans have been made to clear the handbrake and both seats are identical, so we have the clearance even for our friends from Down Under SouthAfrica and Great Britain.
jd66921
Interestingly, my seats appear to be exactly the same. Both seats also have a
very slight relief on the left side to give clearance for the E-Brake. There still
isn't enough room on that side! Guess I'll clean the tracks and reassemble.

The floor actually looks pretty good. I will have to do a lot of cleaning, and
eventually remove the crap on the floor and repaint it! Mostly surface rust and
some underneath the black crap. Found 35 cents too! A few more and it will
be paid for!

Jeff
jim_hoyland
Checked the loop pulls and they are on the outsides, drivers side always looked a little crooked from the rear...thanks for the help.
nbscooters
Before reading this thread, I just bolted my seats back in. They were mixed up, but now its fixed!
horizontally-opposed
Well, I done did it and pulled the trigger on a pair of the GTS seats.

No, they are not "cheap," in 914 terms biggrin.gif

But I feel they represent great value if one considers what it costs to re-do stock seats -- especially if you get into truly rebuilding them.

And at $600-800 each, they are a bargain compared to the $1500-2500 shell buckets that Porsche sells for 996s.

Just hope they are everything people say they are... wub.gif

pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.