Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Signs of impending doom?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rpmmaxxed
In the past day, the car has began to show signs of fatigue. Under cruising, the car studders once in awhile. And as of my short drive home this afternoon, the car will not hold an idle. will not run below 1800 rpms, just dies.

Starts after holding WOT for 6 seconds now... stalled twice on the way home...

Anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

1973 1.7. 177K miles.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rpmmaxxed @ May 30 2006, 06:18 PM) *

the car will not hold an idle. will not run below 1800 rpms, just dies.

For one you have a huge vacuum leak...first look for a hose being off.
So.Cal.914

[/quote]

For one you have a huge vacuum leak...first look for a hose being off.
[/quote]

Vacuum leak is probable, if you don't find that's the case, when did you last tune it

up? Valves and all.
smoke.gif
Dave_Darling
How's the compression? If you're worried about the condition of the spendy bits inside the engine, check the compression and the oil pressure. Those will give you about as much info as can be gotten about the internals of the engine, without tearing it down. (Yeah, a leak-down can provide more info, but it is usually best done after a compression test shows low numbers.)

--DD
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 30 2006, 04:12 PM) *

How's the compression? If you're worried about the condition of the spendy bits inside the engine, check the compression and the oil pressure. Those will give you about as much info as can be gotten about the internals of the engine, without tearing it down. (Yeah, a leak-down can provide more info, but it is usually best done after a compression test shows low numbers.)

--DD

wacko.gif Kind of fearing this... I know the compression results are gonna show that its tired... WIll do asap...

Just checked all vacuum lines that I can visibly see from the top, including replacing 2. Started it up, and drove up and down block, runs like complete crap.

Could a desperately needed oil change cause crappy performance?
lapuwali
Oil change, no.

Besides vacuum lines, other places for leaks are things like the intake runner to plenum "hoses", the throttle body to plenum gasket (which you have to fabricate to replace), and the intake runner to head gaskets.

Do a complete tune-up: valves, timing, etc.
eg914
I fought a hunting idle for months in my car. From dying to 1800 rpm at random. No vacuum leaks. Rebuilt the (shudder) carb. Finally put in a rebuilt distributor from FLAPS and my idle problem is fixed. How much wobble is there in your dist. shaft?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.