Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Going MSD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I wanna switch from the CD box I now have to an MSD 6AL. Summit has a pretty good price on the box but what else do I need for the installation?

Thank you very much... smile.gif
john rogers
When I put mine on I also used the high vibration coil, 8.5mm wires and a points eliminator. I get about 15K volts at the plug at idle read with a SnapOn high voltage tester for spark plug voltages.
bob174
You should check jegs.Com, I just bought a 6a from them, they have the 6al for $35 less than summit. You also need the tach adapter. Also, you can get the rev limiting rotor for our distributor for around $20 at your FLAPS, & then get a 6a instead. 6a is $148 from Jegs. Pelican has a tech article on this subject & author included the part numbers for everything you need.

Bob
Allan
I just need to know what all I need...

I can buy the box from Summit with a 10 percent discount or get it from Jeg's. I just want to make sure that I have what I need when I swap it cause I'll be somewhere else....
fuch toy
Dibs on the old box....I rebuild them....
Aaron Cox
mallory cdi is nicer...

digital vs analog, and a rotary switch for rev limiter vs a pill like MSD....

mallory hyfire 6al
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(fuch toy @ May 30 2006, 10:28 PM) *

Dibs on the old box....I rebuild them....

WHat about Mallory Hyfires VIA do you rebuild then too?
bd1308
wait...Mike pm me will ya about what you do to these things....

b
michel richard
You need a high vibration coil and new higher-rated plug wires.

Allan
I also want to dump the points and install a pertronix. Do I need the 3 ohm or 1.5 ohm coil?

Will the Pertronix Flame Thrower 40,000 Volt Coil work?
Allan
icon_bump.gif

Almost went to the second page... biggrin.gif
michel richard
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jun 1 2006, 07:53 AM) *

I also want to dump the points and install a pertronix. Do I need the 3 ohm or 1.5 ohm coil?

Will the Pertronix Flame Thrower 40,000 Volt Coil work?

Sorry, I don't know. Have you called either Pertronix or MSD ?
Aaron Cox
allan you need a CDI specific coil. they are even less than 1 ohm resistance...

i tried a cdi with a blue coil, and it would have a flat spot. run great, and die at 4500 rpm, went to a 1.5 ohm coil and it died at 500, called mallory tech and they reccomended a super low impedance "e-coil" for a cdi setup. msd will most likely tell you the same...

pics of my setup are in my blog.....
LvSteveH
Many people are running MSD with a bosch blue coil and no issues. The six I just bought was running a "Flame Thrower" 1.5ohm coil and it didn't run all that well. They are oil filled and should never be mounted upside down as this one was. Oil filled coils can have a bubble (try to shake them) and when upside down the bubble will rise to the top and potentially allow the exposed part of the coil to overheat.

I'd go with the MSD epoxy filled anti-vibration coil, that way you could mount it any way you like with no worries.
bob174
Go to Pelican Parts 914 parts page & go to the ignition parts where you'll see the MSD ignition stuff. In the listing is a link to a tech article on installing the MSD ignition & lists everything you need by part number.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.