Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We made it home
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
We home safe and sound. The car ran well except for a scare at Lake Shasta where it ran backwards for a few seconds. No damage apparently cause we're home.

We got 28.3 mpg on the highway and 23.6 mpg combined with a 2270 turning 3,000 to 3800 rpm on the highway. I have no idea on speed because of 205 50 15 tires. We kept up with the fast guys and passed most everyone else. No tickets. The oil temps got kind of high a few times and we had to slow to the lower end of the rpm range. It looks like a cooler is in my future.

The oil looks like hell. Next up is a compression check and leakdown test this weekend.

Dave
Allan
Glad ya made it safely with no major problems.

What kinda temps did you see?
DNHunt
Near the red. 914 oil temp gauges suck. Hot enough the oil pressure started to drop.
DNHunt
Here is Shasta in the early morning thru the windshield before it got coated with bugs
fitsbain
Congrats on the cool drive!!

If I get mine done in time there will be a 1500 mile round trip in 3 days. Pittsburgh PA to Bath Maine on Friday for a Saturday wedding and then back again on Sunday for work.

I've been told I'm crazy, but seeing your drive and the one Jake took I guess I'm not the only one.
Allan
What kind of revs were you running when it got hot?

Were you on flat ground or climbing?

I know that stock gauges suck as far as accuracy but I just wanted to see how far off...

My'75 with the little tiny red mark on an 80 degree day would get pretty close pulling a 3 percent grade.
SirAndy
QUOTE(DNHunt @ May 30 2006, 06:06 PM) *

We home safe and sound.

glad you guys had time to stop by!

beerchug.gif Andy
McMark
AWESOME trip Dave. Glad you made it, it was good to see you guys again. 28 MPG is better than I would have expected. But, maybe you're a little lean giving you better MPG and more heat? Just a thought. wink.gif
elwood-914
What a cool trip to make with your son. I hope to do that someday. Glad everything went well.

Tim thumb3d.gif
Mueller
nice seeing you again up in Napa, I too hope to make the journey in another month...
DNHunt
Going uphill made it worse. 3600 rpms was the hottest above that got cooler sometimes. Left was worse than right.
Hammy
Was your 914 the one at bugorama?
DNHunt
Here we were at McMarks. I'm not sure what Mike was talking about. Andy's tub on the trailer
DNHunt
On to the drags at Bugorama. These guys were fast.
DNHunt
Jake with a group of people with his engines.
DNHunt
At Lake Shasta
Rocky
Sounds like one hell of a trip Dave. clap56.gif If your doing the leak down Saturday maybe I will drop by after the Maritime Parade.
Eddie914
Dave and Gerry,

You know how to live!

I hope to follow in your footsteps with my son.

Eddie
horizontally-opposed
DAve and Gerry, it was great to meet you guys -- and thanks for letting Mark and I check out your car -- it shore does pull...

...and glad it kept pulling all the way home.

pete
Howard
3,000 to 3800 rpm on the highway. I have no idea on speed because of 205 50 15 tires.

Dave, I'm on same. Assuming 'stock' gearing, GPS says 3000rpm=62mph, 4000=84 in 5th. Nice car!
ConeDodger
Dave and Gerry,
Glad I got to meet you and see your car. Dinner at Fudruckers was fun too. I think the only picture that got taken was the one Martin took of the three cars together in the lot. I will ask him to post it here so you can snatch it. I suppose we were all too sun baked from Bugarama to think about pictures.
Anyway, My couch or yard are available anytime you want to come down. Just give me a shout.
Maybe Martin will decide the trip to WCC will be a go and we will see you soon. For now it will probably be next year.
Rob
Joe Ricard
Butt Hurts????
stay away from California. Ha ha ha
Sweet looking car Dave.

Bet you wouldn't hardly recognize the Red Neck Racer. Well cept for the stupid white dots
J P Stein

Just in time for the PCA AX this weekend down here in Poland:D
rhodyguy
OH!!? sunday? i may be driving to eureka on the 4th. if so i'll stop by.

k
Brad Roberts
It was good seeing you again Dave!! Glad to hear you made it home safely.

Temps:

Last night, stock 2.0 through a Bursch, 3200-3400 rpm on 205/60's, air temp 68 degrees, I saw over 220deg. NO HILLS.. just cruising down the freeway in a stocker.

The car is with me because of low oil pressure.. It will flicker the light at stop signs.

B
Jake Raby
Actually that combination, even with carbs generally nets 26-30 MPG- even in a Beetle with shorter gearing...
The results Dave has are pretty typical for the combination- BUT generally an external cooler is absolutely mandatory.

Most times a stock engine runs HOTTER than this 2270 combination on the head temps and about the same as stock on the oil temps. Both need an external cooler in hotter climates if you measure the temps closely enough.

here is an exception during my cross country trip...

IPB Image

That was a run that averaged 81 MPH for 67 miles..
DNHunt
Actually head temps stayed nice and cool. i never topped 325 even climbing to 4300 feet in the Siskyous

Jake, i sent you an email.

Dave
DNHunt
If your doing the leak down Saturday maybe I will drop by after the Maritime Parade.

The more the merrier. I'll put you to work. Give me a call.

Dave
Rocky
SCHWEET!!! driving.gif
orange914
almost need a oil change.....close to being unbelievable but not with a 914 drunk.gif !!.....

CLEAN 914 clap56.gif

kenny
DNHunt
Actually, I do need an oil change but it has to wait until Wednesday.

Dave
rhodyguy
nice to see you. wink.gif is the cooler issue going to apply to me too? what i gleened from the article was, using my heads results in lower engine temps.

k
DNHunt
I don't know Kevin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.