Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Installing Oracle 9.2.0.1.0..should it take so darn long?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
new to this Oracle thing? does in normally take so long to check the status of the install by the OUI???

windoze install....
SirAndy
av-943.gif dude ... have you installed oracle before or is this your first time?

i hope you didn't plan on getting any sleep tonight ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

PS: how about those fixtures?
drewvw
installing any version of oracle with all the bells and whistles takes awhile in my experience....
Mueller
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 30 2006, 08:28 PM) *

av-943.gif dude ... have you installed oracle before or is this your first time?

i hope you didn't plan on getting any sleep tonight ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

PS: how about those fixtures?

yep, I'm a wookie at the install for the database stuff headbang.gif

will you be at the shop on Thrusday? I'm working from home (watching the kids) but once Sherryl gets home at about 6pm I could head on over.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 30 2006, 08:33 PM) *

yep, I'm a wookie at the install for the database stuff headbang.gif

will you be at the shop on Thrusday? I'm working from home (watching the kids) but once Sherryl gets home at about 6pm I could head on over.....

oracle sucks unless you run a enterprise company off of it ... if you're just playing with databases for homeuse, oracle is monster O V E R K I L L ...

if you got a PC, get MS SQL Server, it's actually surprisingly good ever since Version 7.0 ...

if you got linux/unix, go mySQL ...

as for thursday, that all depends on rafael/scott. rafael said he'd probably done by thurs., but that might change ...
smile.gif Andy
Mueller
Pro/E must have Oracle for the database (intralink)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 30 2006, 08:44 PM) *

Pro/E must have Oracle for the database (intralink)

blink.gif someone needs to be shot ...
Mueller
just got off the phone with Apu Click to view attachment ....boy, never fun explaining what is and what is not working...
campbellcj
Several years ago I had an Oracle install run for like 18 hours on a Unix box. :eek: Most of that was creating the database and running the zillion SQL scripts, not the actual software install.

The current versions (10G R2) on fast machines install pretty quickly; is your machine constrained by RAM and/or slow hard drive issues?

The installer is a Java program and pretty piggy...it can take a couple minutes just to start up, sometimes.

Ditto what Andy says about MS SQL. I just ported our app to SQL 2005 a couple months ago and it works very well. We were almost a pure Oracle shop since 1994. A little dabbling in DB2 and SQL but this was the first non-Oracle configuration we actually sold, and I'm sure not the last.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.