Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: buyer beware e-bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
freezing14
ok i was looking at the 914-6 on evil bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-914...1QQcmdZViewItem

and as I look at the picture, there is a couple of thing weird like the engine shroud is red but thats no problem the carb air box is wrong but no problem either,, the big problem is that picture

if you look at the side it has the curved reinforcement seen only on the 73 and up tub,, so this is very likely a rebuilt transfer or something else not right
echocanyons
Good eye!
rhodyguy
runs rough? motor meister? is that a bad combo?

k
aircooledboy
Hmmmm......

It also has the older style jack bracket, which makes you wonder if the car is a "stitch'em together" job. idea.gif
boxstr
A previous accident could have been the reason for a later (73)front support being installed on this 914-6. If you are bidding I would definetly ask the owner. Plus a PPI with the car in the air on a rack will help to answer a few of your questions.
CCLINEBAYORMYWAY
KaptKaos
On top of that, the guy seems to have a bit of an attitude. See the Q&As he's posted.

I know ebay is full of tire kickers, and that can make people crazy, but why bother posting the answers?
RON S.
I'm always amazed at the fact that most of the guy's selling 6r's,never have pictures of the serial#'s on the car.That would always calm some concerns.

Also,every car photographed from 20' away looks gorgeous.Even mine.

Definately recommend a PPI on this one.

Ron
SirAndy
yes, '73+ front end for sure ... i bet you the guy doesn't even know his car is stiched together ...

dry.gif Andy
rhodyguy
he kind of sidestepped Gustl's ? cleanly. thumb3d.gif

k
URY914
Q: Hi, what is the salesprice do you exspected ?
May-31-06
A: more than u can afford

chairfall.gif Wise ass
rhodyguy
imagine the ppi.

k
tod914
Q: Do you know any history on the car? Do the engine, transmission, and chassis match?
May-31-06
A: yes all matches

I wonder if he means they are all painted white?
tdgray
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that also a Euro six badge on the back or were they all that way. (memory is not what it once was).
zymurgist
I have a strange feeling that I have seen this car before... the gouge in the door skin looks totally familiar (in a weird deja vu sense)... wasn't this car on eBay a year or 2 ago?
drewvw

I asked him a question but something tells me he's not going to post it for public consumption.... biggrin.gif
URY914
I don't think he realizes he has 5000 guys here picking his car to bits. laugh.gif
drewvw

if he didn't before, he does now I can assume you! laugh.gif

yes, I was polite and respectful....
drgchapman
Correct rear bumper: cool_shades.gif
Aaron Cox
look at the door gap
Hammy
"Q: Is the engine a 2.7 liter? I live on long island,would I be able to look at the car. Thanks, Mark
May-31-06
A: The engine is the correct displacement. If you dont know what that is, then you are not interested in this car. "

Whatta jerk.
Aaron Cox
"does acting like a shmuck help you sell your car?"
Dr Evil
Here is the question I asked him,

"Hello,could you please post the number that is located on the passenger side wheel well in the front trunk? It may start with a 47. Thanks and nice looking car."
type47
my guess is the VIN is 91404301863 delete "0"
AZ914
QUOTE(Hammy @ May 31 2006, 12:39 PM) *

"Q: Is the engine a 2.7 liter? I live on long island,would I be able to look at the car. Thanks, Mark
May-31-06
A: The engine is the correct displacement. If you dont know what that is, then you are not interested in this car. "

Whatta jerk.

He obviously doesn't know. Suprised he didn't supply the VIN. It looks like its got the left side ignition though.
JoeSharp
I didn't like his attidude, so I asked him about the front end and asked to see a picture of the steering wheel and ignition switch. Lets nail him down.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Dr Evil
Here is his answer:

"the number stamped in the passenger wheel well is the Vin# 9140431863. I was not aware the vin number appears there, so I suppose this means the front end was not chopped off, as some inquiring potential purchasers have suggested."
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 31 2006, 07:00 PM) *

Here is his answer:

"the number stamped in the passenger wheel well is the Vin# 9140431863. I was not aware the vin number appears there, so I suppose this means the front end was not chopped off, as some inquiring potential purchasers have suggested."

He's a smart ass this one. I am sure he's none too happy to be getting this scrutiny.
Dead Air
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 31 2006, 08:44 AM) *

Q: Hi, what is the salesprice do you exspected ?
May-31-06
A: more than u can afford

chairfall.gif Wise ass

Heavier than u'r shopping for!
drewvw

I got back responses to my question today.

I asked him about the 73 and up front end and he said:

"If the car has some later model components, it is possible this was done during the life of the car. "

I also told him that he should check out the club site, as his car was being discussed. He said:

"Sounds interesting"

I think he might be catching on now that perhaps he is the one who has no clue about the car.

Gustl
I do know that this car was on eBay about 1 year ago
it was for sale by another eBay member and it had a much longer description

when I'm back home I'll check it with my files and tell you the details
maybe this guy knows more about it and doesn't want to tell it ...
this might be a reason why he wants to sell it after only one year

idea.gif Gustl
Gustl
voila:

Auktion: 4563016960
eBay ID: schmorge
final bid: US$ 14.600,00 (Reserve not met)
time period: 17. - 24.07.2005

Miles: 135,000

Vehicle Description

SELLER HAS LOWERED RESERVE. CAR IS BEING LISTED FOR A CLIENT. PLEASE DIRECT ALL QUESTIONS AND INQUIRIES TO: MR. LEO ROCCA AT 301-473-5315 EST OR LeoRocca@adelphia.net

1970 PORSCHE 914/6. PURCHASED IN CALIFORNIA 2001 AND SHIPPED EAST, CAR CURRENTLY RESIDES IN MARYLAND. ORIGINAL CA. CAR. UNRESTORED, UNALTERED, NEVER RACED, ORIGINAL PAINT AND CORRECT NUMBERS. CHASSIS# 9140431863, ENGINE# 6405185. WHITE ON BLACK WITH CORRECT FUCHS WHEELS.

AN ORIGINAL 914/6 IS A GENUINE RARE AND SCARCE CAR. OF APPROX. 54,000 914'S PRODUCED, ONLY SOME 3,300 SIX CYLINDER MODELS WERE BUILT. OUT OF THESE, 1,788 WERE SOLD IN THE U.S. FEW ORIGINAL EXAMPLES SURVIVED AS THE 2,200LB. CARS WERE POPULAR FOR RACING AND AUTO CROSS AND THEREFORE EXTENSIVELY MODIFIED.

THE 914/6 WAS ASSEMBLED AT THE KARMANN FACTORY FOR PORSCHE AND THEN SENT TO PORSCHE'S ZUFFENHAUSEN FACTORY FOR INSTALLATION OF THE 2.0 SIX CYLINDER ENGINE. THIS WAS AN EXPENSIVE PROCESS WHICH PUSHED THE COST OF 914/6 TO WITHIN $500 OF THE 911T. THIS IS PROBABLY THE MAIN REASON THE CAR WAS ONLY OFFERED FROM 1970-1972.

THE 914/6'S REAL CLAIM TO FAME WAS GREAT HANDLING AND REASONABLE POWER. IT CAN BE DRIVEN WITH ABANDON AND IS A FAR MORE FORGIVING CAR TO DRIVE QUICKLY THAN AN EARLY 356 OR 911.

CAR CURRENTLY HAS 135,000 MILES ON A COMPLETE ENGINE REBUILD FROM CRANK BEARINGS OUT BY MOTOR MEISTER OF DOWNEY CA. AT 118,000. STARTS AND RUNS WELL (IT'S A GREAT DRIVER) AND HAS NO SIGNIFICANT LEAKS. DOCUMENTED WORK, ORIGINAL OWNERS MANUAL, TOOL KIT AND JACK AT HAND.

ITEMS TO NOTE ARE: 3" CRACK IN WINDSHIELD LOCATED PASSENGER SIDE LOWER CORNER (SEE PIC). DOOR SKIN AND PASSENGER QUARTER PANEL SCRATCHED (SEE PIC) AND SOME NEGLIGIBLE SURFACE OXIDATION LOCATED IN THE FRONT BOOT FLOOR RIGHT OF SPARE AND REAR BOOT UNDER CARPET (SEE PICS).

THIS STUNNING, ORIGINAL EXAMPLE IS BEING OFFERED AS IS. NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. SHIPPING IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE BUYER. SELLER WILL ASSIST ON HIS END. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE FUNDS PRE-ARRANGED, DO NOT BID ON THIS ITEM.
PRINCIPALS ONLY.

... maybe this helps to make your own mind ...

wavey.gif Gustl
tod914
well despite all the negativety, it does have a nice badge on the back wink.gif
zymurgist
Thanks Gustl. If I remember correctly, this car was near me in Maryland but for some reason I didn't go check it out.
drewvw

I don't know if you guys have been paying attention, but if you now go to the public questions section, you'll see he was absolutely HAMMERED by the club on this.

His tone changes as you read up too...nice work team! Even a mention of the club (that's me).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.