Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Current 914/6 oil tank options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lapuwali
From what I've been able to dig up so far:

An OEM tank is available for roughly $1100, plus you need the oil filter base and the filler neck. The bird has these, probably others, too.

PMS sells an Al tank for $800, plus oil filter base and filler neck. They also have a neck for $115. I didn't see the oil filter thingie on their site.

The DWD tank listed under the vendor's section says "see the club store", which isn't an option right now. So, what's the story here?

GPR doesn't list a tank on their site, though it's rumored they offer the DWD tank.

Am I the only one that keeps thinking of Dirk Wright Disease when I see "DWD"?

There are various "race" tanks available, but they all seem to require mounting in the front trunk, which I'm not doing.

The OEM style tank mounts the oil filter in such a way that you're pretty much certain to drip oil all over the engine bay changing it. An inline filter that (for example) runs between the outlet from the scavenge port to the tank, which mounts below the tin on the firewall, seems a better approach to me. Anyone try this, perhaps with a custom tank that still fits in the fenderwell?

Any other oil tank options?
SirAndy
QUOTE(lapuwali @ May 31 2006, 02:55 PM) *

The OEM style tank mounts the oil filter in such a way that you're pretty much certain to drip oil all over the engine bay changing it.
isn't that the same way the oilfilter is mounted in a 911?
you don't hear them complaining much ...

confused24.gif Andy
lapuwali
Of course not, their mechanics have to clean it up... happy11.gif

J P Stein
Actually, the filter drains it's self quite nicely if left in place for a while after draining the sump/tank. The 911 jobbie does the same.
There is also a rubber gasket that is shaped so any spillage drains outside the engine room....an OEM piece.
Mark Henry
yep just did a 911 oil change...no spillage.

Only complaint was the price, $110 just for the oil and filter.
lapuwali
OK, OK...

So, any details on the "GPR" tank, or the one that was listed in the club store before it was "closed" by our little attack?
McMark
There is another tank option. ph34r.gif AFAIK, no one has used it yet. Andy plans to. Just don't buy your tank yet if you can hold off. wink.gif
lapuwali
Sure, I can hold off. I'm not planning on installing this engine until this fall, at the earliest.
GeorgeRud
Didn't George Vellios make oil tanks in aluminum (and plastic??) at one time?
brant
QUOTE(McMark @ May 31 2006, 07:55 PM) *

There is another tank option. ph34r.gif AFAIK, no one has used it yet. Andy plans to. Just don't buy your tank yet if you can hold off. wink.gif

Neeed.....

m ore........

in format. ion.....

?
John
Didn't George Vellios make oil tanks in aluminum (and plastic??) at one time?

I know they made aluminum ones at least 2 styles. The early ones had baffle problems and blew up engines.

I remember Beach Boys Racing made one a long time ago.

I think Mikelo (sp) from Germany may have been working on a clone tank. I would watch for something from him. He seems to do extraordinary work.

I'm partial to big round tanks mounted up front, but that is my own biased opinion.
IronHillRestorations
I would only recommend the factory or GPR (DWD) tank. The cast aluminum tanks may have some thermal cooling advantage (big heat sink), but they are heavy and don't fit as well as the OEM and GPR tanks. Follow up customer service for the cast tanks I would consider to be minimal to nil, and you've got to factor in the one out of four leaking factor.

Mark Stephens made a few fiberglass oil tanks, but with a low sucess rate. I'd be curious to know if anyone has one in service.

The factory and GPR tanks use the factory filler neck, filter console, filter console boot, and mounting hardware. Another plus for the GPR tank is it holds about a quart and a half more capacity.

It depends on what sort of finished project you want. In the realm of doing a six conversion, the oil system is a vital part of engine life. Make a serious error, and you could kill your engine. Also, in the scope of this sort of project an extra $300-$500 is a spit on the griddle. So my advice is to get the good stuff, that will fit and work right.
MoveQik
QUOTE(McMark @ May 31 2006, 06:55 PM) *

How long is the wait? I am shopping for one now so Joe can do my conversion after WCC.
McMark
Put it this way. Andy's car is in my shop and is getting the 3.6 put in it ASAP. We should have pictures and a nice thread about how the tank works later this month.
morgan_harwell
>Mark Stephens made a few fiberglass oil tanks, but with a low sucess rate. I'd be curious to know if anyone has one in service.

I've never heard of a MS fibergalss oil tank. I use a Mark Stephens 20qt aluminum oil tank(NLA) in my 6-conv(mounts in the engine bay, battery side). It's been in service in my daily driver since 4/88. After 18 years, around 200K miles, zero engine failures, I guess the 'ol tank has been a complete failure! confused24.gif
Click to view attachment
dflesburg
Why not put a dry sump tank in the front trunk like everyone else?
McMark
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 1 2006, 12:32 PM) *

barf.gif

If there's a tank like that in my front trunk, there better be beer in it. The factory solution is clean and out of the way. You can still use your trunk.

Everyone else, must be synonymous with 'minority' where you come from. Most people are running factory tanks or aftermarket replicas of factory tanks.
lapuwali
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 1 2006, 12:32 PM) *

Because I like having an empty front trunk. Because I don't want to run oil lines all the way to the front (I'm also not interested in running a front-mounted oil cooler).

It sounds like the GPR/DWD tank is the way to go. Now, I just have to find out how much one costs. I'm not trying to be cheap, but since I can't afford to buy the entire set of conversion parts in one batch, I have to plan purchases over the next few months, and it's pretty hard to plan expenses if you don't know what those expenses will be.

Grngoat
GPR does have the DWD tanks. I ordered some oil system stuff yesterday from them and they mentioned the tanks specifically.

I'm the same way - I like having two useable trunks. Don't want to cut up either of them for a tank, cooler, DME or whatever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.