Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: jake's turbo kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
I was reading it, and then went to post and it was gone??
jd74914
I was wondering the same thing. I think someone hassled him too much. dry.gif
newto914s
I checked over at the Resources section and it hasn't been moved. I hope my comment wasn't the straw that broke the camels back. I have a habit of ending threads unsure.gif
I really would like one of those kits. I even volunteered back in December to test run a kit. For me it would have involved spending literally ever dollar I had in the bank, a few I didn't have on the credit card, and moving back in with the parents(cheap) for a while. And I would have gladly done it, still would, but the money is gone(thanks Puerto Rico)

Maybe we can still rally the troops for a good cause, a little 914 development.

Jake needs 12 people with $5.5k to produce a 914 specific turbo kit. Everything you need from the intake to the tail pipe, cooling to boot. You supply the TIV long block, a little mechanical know how, and the jack stands. and you'll be looking at 160 horses from your stock 2 liter or 140 from your 1.8.
Email Jake to get on the list.
Mueller
QUOTE(jd74914 @ May 31 2006, 08:06 PM) *

some of the questions and posts were out of line in my opinion...he got attacked for no reason 'cause people read his 1st post incorrectly and someone else getting bent 'cause he didn't know how to ask the right questions or do any research himself...(WTF is 50%-80% boost???)...hmmmm. the red wine must be kicking in early tonight beer3.gif
newto914s
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 31 2006, 09:32 PM) *

some of the questions and posts were out of line in my opinion...he got attacked for no reason 'cause people read his 1st post incorrectly and someone else getting bent 'cause he didn't know how to ask the right questions or do any research himself...(WTF is 50%-80% boost???)...hmmmm. the red wine must be kicking in early tonight beer3.gif

It's 1:40am where I'm sitting smile.gif
You have a point the thread did get off to a bad start. Maybe it's better it's gone. Maybe this one can carry the torch blowtorch.gif come on guys 12 people, e-mail Jake cheer.gif
Mueller
as good of a deal it is and it really is a good deal, I don't see 12 people stepping up anytime soon, I hope I am wrong, only time will tell....
newto914s
It's really too bad he won't offer the components sepperatly. I'm sure a bunch of people would jump all over the plumbing, and that would lead to people picking up the rest of the componets too. Everyone wins, Jake moves products, and 914 owners get quality stuff and feel like they're saving at the same time.
Mueller
QUOTE(newto914s @ May 31 2006, 11:03 PM) *

It's really too bad he won't offer the components sepperatly. I'm sure a bunch of people would jump all over the plumbing, and that would lead to people picking up the rest of the componets too. Everyone wins, Jake moves products, and 914 owners get quality stuff and feel like they're saving at the same time.

too much handholding if sold the parts seperately, people would insist on using old junk turbo's or trying to get the stock FI to work and then blame Jake for it not working....
GWN7
I read part of it and had to go...now i have time to read gone....I looked in the resources section...gone too?
Rand
Jake rocks. I REALLY appreciate his work ethic. It's rare. So rare that I'm tempted to bail and camp under a tree on his property and try to prove my ethic to him.

I'm really bummed that the 914 "hwerwlrweljwer" has sucked his joy.

The 914 is cool, and is a perfect platform to showcase RAT technology!

Jake, puuuuuleezze don't let a few cheapskates cause you to abandon the rest of us!

I want your premium 2316. I just can't afford it today.

When I can, I want you to be there.
craig downs
agree.gif Rand
It seems everytime Jake makes a post about some of his products people start bitching and moaning. I for one am sick of it. A very few people are destroying
his involvement in the 914 which is sad because we can all benefit from his
knowledge.
His prices are very reasonable for what you get. I am going to buy one of his
engine kits in a couple of months with the money I worked hard for 6 months every weekend on the side to save up for this and its worth every penny.

McMark
agree.gif

I hear a lot of crap whenever Jake posts something. That turbo kit was a great fcukin' deal. I'm sure Jake's setup is super clean and well thought out. Building one yourself would cost much more. If you want to build one yourself... great. Don't come into someone else's thread and bitch.

We are a rough crowd. Sometimes I'm amazed at the negativity (I'm guilty myself sometimes). If Jake walked away and never talked 914s again, I couldn't blame him.

I'd pull my shit down too if all I got was a load of crap about it. Why waste fcukin' time.

dry.gif
Joe Ricard
Trying to think if I was involved in that thread. and what I said. Hmmm.
I was promised a spot as test bitch also.
Certainly have the car to test it. Keep getting these Honda guys bugging me about putting turbo power in my car. I just get a little chicken of thier engineering skills.
So I guess I am still open to the turbo idea just don't have the skills to do one from scratch.
fuch toy
Sell components seperately so you can go buy used or cheaper turbos or whatever elsewhere?

Think about it.....

He has developement costs, and if his stuff is on your car and your used crap takes a dump....it's his kit in there.

NFW....
Mark Henry
....and the people bitchin' were never going to buy a system anyways...
craig downs
It all seem to started back when the guy asked for an engine
with "all the bells and whistles". To me that says I want everything
you have at it. If it was to much he just had to talk to him first before
staring his post and start whinnying. As Jake said if he talked to me first
things would have been different.
bernbomb914
you all wanted a DTM for your car so Jake made a mold to put it in production and how many of you bought one? I told him I would buy one and I did to keep my word to him.

Bernie
ptravnic
A proper turbo kit would make a few people (myself included) rethink a six conversion. Bold in and go!! I appreciate what Jake has brought and continues to bring to the table. I hope he keeps us in mind.

-pt
craig downs
I'll be getting one. I've got a 911 fan setup I wanted to use but he sold me on the dtm.
LvSteveH
Unfortunately I missed the thread in question. I like Jake, and I was also slated to be a test mule for the turbo kit. I don't know what was said in the thread, but in the past Jake has been rather harsh on the 914 crowd, so there has been some give and take with negative sentiments.

Jake will be the first one to admit that he isn't the most socially graceful guy, and being able to admit it makes it all good in my book. I don't have a problem with a sharp comment that relates to a specific post or issue, but to carry ill will into new business isn't good for anyone. Whether Jake admits it or not, he likes us to some degree, or he wouldn't come back or care what we think. We should all appreciate all the work he does, tolerate his eccentricities as well as we can, and try to support his efforts when possible. That doesn't mean we can't call BS if it's warranted, but we shouldn't put someone permanently on the "List" because they had a bad day or rubbed us the wrong way in a post way back when.

I don't think Jake has ever aimed at winning a popularity contest, but he does deserve our respect.

beerchug.gif
lapuwali
Hey, I was one of the bitchers, albeit very mildly. IMHO, Jake does great work. IMHO, Jake has a serious problem with being WAY too cocky, and way too certain that his way is the only way. Both things rub me the wrong way.

The "negative" comments I saw before the thread vanished were pretty mild, and generally well-meaning. Jake really SHOULD be more diplomatic and grown-up in his business dealings. He won't, and that's Jake, but I thought the initial post stepped well over the line. I read it as: "here are my gold-plated gifts from God, take 'em or else".
rhodyguy
frankly, i think we constitute a very small portion of jake's business and he winds up devoting a pretty good chunk of time to tire kickers. that would get old in a hurry. how many countless hours should he put into a system that a handful of people *might* be interested in? his biz, if shit doesn't happen, get over it and move on. i've pulled a numer of threads that took a turn i didn't care for. nbd.

k
LvSteveH
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jun 1 2006, 08:21 AM) *

IMHO, Jake has a serious problem with being WAY too cocky, and way too certain that his way is the only way. Both things rub me the wrong way.

Let's see.... do you want a cocky Lawyer? ....... do you want a cocky Surgeon? How bout a cocky guy that is absolutely confident in the $15000 engine he's building for you.

There is a place for being humble, and there is a place for having absolute confidence in your skills, ability, and product. I'd bet just about everything I have, that if I bought one of Jake's complete engines, that was fully dyno'd with his seal of approval, that it would be everything it is supposed to be. Jake has integrity.

He is not particularly diplomatic, and while in principal I agree it would be great if he were less abrasive, that's just not the way it is. It is part of his character and to some degree, he is a mad scientist. You get a little Mr. Hyde with Dr. Jekle. That keeps it fun and interesting. Jake is not going to see money from most of the Porsche community, but there is a niche that can really benefit from his work and experience. I'd like to see it a little more affordable for his turn key engines, but I'd like a lot of things. So don't take it so seriously, and enjoy the ride.
JmuRiz
I hope the kit really is forsale, I'm trying to see if I can budget it in with my garagebuild, wedding and all the stuff that goes along with it in the next year. Hopefully I can make it work.
I did go on his site and try to price out the DTM and EFI separately then figure the difference for the 'rest'. Seemed like a heck of a deal.
Just my opinion, but I think he wanted to work with the 914 crowd, but there were just too many tire-kickers...meanwhile the VW guys, especially in europe are knocking down his door with money in hand. Seems like the best business case is to cater to them, no?
rhodyguy
right nathan!! my motto is "go where the money is" wink.gif

k
lapuwali

No, I don't want a "cocky" lawyer. Confidence is not cockiness. Cockiness is overconfidence, and the last thing I'd want is an overconfident lawyer, or surgeon, or engine builder.

It seems I can't finish my thoughts without it coming off as character assassination. I'll shut up now.
G e o r g e
i was one of the one of the people asking questions, but nothing of what i asked was meant with malice. and in hind site i should have just email jake for the info i was looking for.

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 31 2006, 10:32 PM) *

someone else getting bent 'cause he didn't know how to ask the right questions or do any research himself...(WTF is 50%-80% boost

mike ease up on me. i wasn't refering to 50 -60% turbo boost, just total hp improvement. just a mechanical novice asking questions. thought that was what this was here for. and i try to do as much research on here with out asking the same worn out topics as i can. case in point by refering back to a quote of jakes from feb.

finally, i never questioined the price seems reasonable to me. and i i decided i wanted a turbo jake is where i would buy it from bye1.gif

McMark
For those of you who might be interested in the turbo kit, the only way I can see you making it happen is to organize yourselves, get 12 people together yourself and then knock on Jake's door and say, "Hi we want this and we have money."

I think like most of these situations there was miscommunication on both sides.

I didn't take Jake's post to mean "here are my gold-plated gifts from God, take 'em or else." I took it to mean, "If you aren't going to buy them, I'm not going to sell them." I understand that something like that doesn't really need to be said, it's implied in any commercial situation, it's supply/demand. But I also understand that Jake has tried every way to word these types of posts and they always get blown up in his face. The reality is that you can't change Jake. He is the way he is and if you don't like what he has to say, you should know to stay the hell out of his threads. In fact, there is an ignore function built into the board software that will stop you from ever seeing another post by him. It would be like he doesn't even exist.

Jake may be gone for good. And if we only treat him the way we have, then he should never come back. I hope things can change, but I doubt it's in the cards. This site has lost a knowledgeable resource.

This post is not direct at any member in particular. I missed most of the thread in question, so I don't know what was said by whom. This is a completely general post.
TROJANMAN
Either Jake has some serious social skill issues unsure.gif

Or he's a marketing genius biggrin.gif

"I'm going to take my ball and go home now"

"NO! Please come back. We want to buy your stuff. Here, take my wallet"

chairfall.gif

screwy.gif like a fox.
Scott
I second it. Let's get a thread going for those serious about getting a turbo kit for their cars. No BS, no dialog, just poeple with the money and determination to do this. No flakes or poeple just thinking about it. The we'll knock on Jake's door.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Scott @ Jun 1 2006, 11:46 AM) *

, no dialog,

i dis agree.gif , if you dont want dialog take it to the classifieds or resources section. in here everyone speaks up wink.gif

otherwise i do agree that a list of buyers should be put together bye1.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Scott @ Jun 1 2006, 02:46 PM) *

.....No BS, no dialog, just poeple with the money and determination to do this. No flakes or poeple just thinking about it.....

What.... a group buy without flakes....this I have to see.

If you need 12 buyers then you need 24+ because once it's time to "shit or get off the pot" at least half will bail.

That's the problem with any group buy.....BTDT.
Scott
Tht's right a list of buyers. NO DIALOG!
The dialog should be contained in this thread or others. Not in a list of buyers.
SirAndy
you guys are nuts ... screwy.gif

the tirekickers who were never interested in buying jakes stuff in the first place piss him off enough so he pulls his setup off the site ...

and now everybody is just one big happy family again! grouphug.gif

- the tirekicker mudslingers feel aroused, empowered and validated
- the interested customers can spend their money on something else
- jake moves on and leaves the 914 community

sounds like a win/win for everybody ...
wacko.gif Andy
rhodyguy
rules are made to be broken.

k
Aaron Cox
it simple. if you dont like the way he conducts his business. do not buy from him! but keep your trap shut! LOL

if you want one buy one!

all the rest of the t-shirt technicians should just mind their own business, and quit whining in peoples threads...

and kevin said it best.
jake devoted a ton of time to the tire kickers..... and now he is gone.

Thanks....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.