Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rivs914
Please I need some Help!!! I'm now working to remove my 914 engine... Big job. But after remove all the engine component, I'm in big trouble... The 2 bolts on engine bar (at the front) is jammed in rust. In the removal process of one of these %?&*& bolt, it brokes in the engine bar (in thread) so, it is now impossible to remove it. The other one is completly stripped down and I can't remove it too... In the other hand, the transmission mounts bolts are easy to unscrew.

Does anybody have experienced this kind of BIG trouble during the engine removal process... I need any comments please.

Thanks in advance for all you great comments.
McMark
I would suggest grinding off the heads of the bolts EXCEPT there is a danger of fire with the fuel pump, fuel hoses right there. If you go this route, make sure you have a fire extinguisher very close by. This would be a last resort route for me because of the danger.
ChrisReale
Go to the store and buy a few cans of PB Blaster. Let that shit soak like Robatussin in the Ghetto. Done soaking? Get some water and shake it up! Actually, just spray the PB Blaster and let it penetrate for a few days. PB Blaster is second, only behing Robotussin. I wonder what would happen if you soaked it with Tussin........ idea.gif
SirAndy
listen to mark cool.gif

grind off the heads of the bolts, then lower the engine and take care of the rusted bolts/nuts with the engine out of your way ....

Andy
rhodyguy
the bolts do not thread into the bar. as rec soak em down. you should be able to drive them out with a stout punch. support the front of the engine. soaking with pb is a test of patience. hose the items down. tap on the bolts/ nuts (every one you can see) to break the rust bond and vibrate the pb in. sometimes if you thighten just a bit first you can worry (tighten/ loosen) the stuff apart. then spray again. repeat, repeat....

kevin
rivs914
Thanks all for you comments. That makes sense. I will try it today and hope that will help me...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.