Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear suspension spec question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
What are the dimensions inside of the trailing arm bushing socket for lack of a better name. And the outside of the pivot shaft that goes through the arm?

Just curious...

I should have measured while I had it apart headbang.gif

KT
Joe Ricard
I would think this is not a piece that had alot of QA involved in it.
Because the original Rubber bushing is poured in. I doubt you could find two exact dimensions if you had a pile of arms.

I found that I had to match fit the bushing on one side and the other side just pushed in snuggly as it was.
same with the pivot rod.

I have a arm at home and will try to remember to get an inside measurement tonight.
Why are you going to make someout of Delrin or something? make another set for me too.
John
I will measure mine tonight as well.

I have 4 good shafts and several good trailing arms. So many of my shafts have been eaten by the rust monster that it is a PITA for me to find two good (non rusted/pitted) ones.

P.S.
the original Rubber bushing is poured in

I don't believe they were cast in place, but I don't know how they got them in there either (I have pics of in-tact bushings I removed)
Joe Ricard
I don't believe they were cast in place, but I don't know how they got them in there either (I have pics of in-tact bushings I removed)

I wanna see that. If you got a bushing out without a smoke wrench YOU DA MAN.
Trekkor
icon_bump.gif
Dave_Darling
Paging Mike Mueller, white courtesy telephone please!

He should have some data from his bearing kits. The tube is not all that round, at least not on 99% of the trailing arms out there.

--DD
Mueller
The trailing arm ID is 1.50" on 1 side (non-welded), the other side tends to be a tad under 1.50"

For the rear kits in which the tube gets pressed in, I leave one side 1.50" and turn the other end down to 1.475"

Chris Foley has special reamers which make the ID a perfect 1.50"

For the axle, I measure 1.1075" (in the middle, so no wear) On the set of stock axles I have right here (came off my '73 with stock rubber bushings) the axle has worn down to 1.098"
Trekkor
Can you convert that to mm's, please.

thanks

KT
Mueller
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jun 1 2006, 10:02 PM) *

Can you convert that to mm's, please.

thanks

KT

1.5*25.4 = 38.1mm
1.1075*25.4 = 28.13mm
Trekkor
Super!! clap56.gif

KT
John
Aw crap, I forgot about this. I'll do it tonight.
ChrisFoley
I ream the tubes to about .015 oversize. That gets rid of most of the ovality of the welded end and at the same time I make sure both ends are concentric so the shaft won't bind.
I also get the shafts centerless ground undersize. Therefore my bushings are over/under size. Unfortunately many of the shafts have rust at the ends which goes deeper than the amount I am willing to remove. I may have to resort to sleeving them or making new ones that are stronger at the same time.
I have Delrin bushings available for sale separately from the installation service.
John
I took dimensions of 3 trailing arms and a couple of shafts.

Trailing arm I.D. measured 38.00 +/- .15 mm

Shafts measured 28.00 +/- .05 mm for the first 24 mm and 28.10 +/- 0.05 mm for the mid portion of the shaft.

The bushings actually have a part number on them.

See next post (I ran out of space in this post)
John
Bushing part number = 914 331 519 00
Eric_Shea
I wanna see that. If you got a bushing out without a smoke wrench YOU DA MAN.

Like John's above, all mine come out basically intact. I use a shop press.
John
I use a shop press.

As do I. The right tool makes life easier. (Eric, do you do your own plating?)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.